Author Topic: Questions about symptoms  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
Questions about symptoms
« on: March 21, 2011, 02:59:36 am »
Hi Girls!

I have a couple of questions about symptoms with allergies or intolerances.

DS (23 months) does not sleep well and really never has aside from a few weeks at a time.

He gets mild eczema but only in the winter time when it's incredibly dry. It has started getting worse but again it's winter so I can usually chalk it up to that. If we go somewhere warm and not so dry, his skin improves immediately.

His cheeks are bright red and almost always look like they have a rash on them. This has been since he started solids.

If he drinks milk, he gets horrid diarrhea and his bum gets an awful bleeding rash immediately. He is fine with yogurt or cheese or even a small amount of milk in cereal.

Does any of this seem like he could have an allergy? I cant figure anything out with his sleep. I don't know about the eczema.

If it does sound like it could be an allergy, what would it be? I am just at a loss for what to do with this kid!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Questions about symptoms
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 03:18:49 am »
Have you ever tried to cut out dairy entirely?  The red cheeks, sleep issues and ezcema all make me wonder if the dairy he is having is affecting him. With Spencer we get the red cheeks, allergic shiners, constipation and general crabbiness. I would be really tempted to try dairy free for a few weeks to see if anything changes!
Heidi

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 03:24:14 am »
We did go free with him in July because his bum was so so painful. His sleep wad better at that point BUT that was about the only break from teething that we have had. The eczema is hard to say because it was summer time. I am sort of tempted to go dairy free again too :-\ Do I Do it for two weeks sort of thing? Is that long enough? And is it every bit of dairy (in baking or anything)?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 05:15:23 am »
I would think to know for sure you would have to go the whole nine yards and then introduce it back and see what happens. I think it takes at least 2 weeks just to get it out of your system, so maybe a bit longer to see how he is?  It isn't too bad once you get the hang of reading labels!  And there are so many alternatives available now, it's fairly easy to come up with replacements.
Heidi

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 13:23:30 pm »
Hi, if he gets symptoms after drinking milk it is definately worth cutting it out right? I take it he drinks milk everyday? have you tried alternatives? Soy milk etc? Iwould be tempted to cut all dairy out and then introduce the things you think he can tolerate to make sure.

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 14:05:19 pm »
He doesn't drink milk at all. He eats yogurt an cheese and occasionally has a bit of milk in his cereal. He only *seems* to be affected by actually drinking a glass of milk (hrs when he gets the diarrhea and bum rash) but I wasn't sure if these other issues we are having with him could be related.

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 14:11:20 pm »
cheese and milk have lower lactose levels it could be the lactose effecting hm?

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 14:30:45 pm »
Definitely possible. So what does that mean exactly? Sorry I am completely new to any sort of allergies/intolerances.

Offline lesliemarie

• Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 14:53:45 pm »
As far as I know the problem with a milk intolerance/allergy it is the protein that is the problem.  If it is a lactose intolerance it is the lactose in the milk that is the issue.  You could try a lactose free milk to see if that would make a difference. If you don't get the immediate sore bum then that could be it.
My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 14:55:44 pm »
Ok and how does that effect things like cheese and yogurt? He just can't have it or are there lactose free versions of that too?

Thanks so much for all your help girls!!!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 15:17:03 pm »
Ahh, I see... he doesn't have milk. Thought as much else he would have a very sore botty! I don't know much about lactose intolerances I am afraid. Not sure if the symptoms are the same as MPI or a milk allergy. Will have a google later and see if I can find anything for you.

I would def start by taking all milk out of his diet then and see how he is.

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 16:15:47 pm »
yougurt and Cheese the way they are made reduce the lactose... the more mature the cheese the less lactose in it

DD#2 was both mpi and lactose intollerent she needed to have some cheese for the fat and i was told that if i gave her very mature full fat cheese every now and then would be okay

The symptoms are pretty much the same though our dietion said that milk protien tends to effect the skin more where lactose upsets tums BUT she isnt exactly right as the protien can do the same

so yeah its the same signs

I would try lacose free stuff and see if it makes a difference

Theres a whole range of lactose free stuff over here but i dont know if they have it there?

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 18:28:19 pm »
I would try going completely dairy free first as it is more common for children to be allergic/ intollerant to the protein in dairy rather than the lactose.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 19:45:37 pm »
Ok so maybe I go dairy free for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference with anything. If it does, maybe then I can experiment with the lactose stuff and see if the real problem is dairy or lactose. Are there any health concerns or supplements that I would need to be worried about when removing this from his diet or is the time frame too short?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 21:04:07 pm »
Have had a bit of a look about lactose intolerance and it seems that it is pretty rare in babies and tends to cause GI symptoms - not so much eczema. Of course this is just taking a look at google - not medical expertise!

If removing dairy from a diet it is important to replace calcium, fats and proteins. We have been given a calcium supplement for Olly but you would be better of maybe adding an extra portion of a calcium rich food. There are lots of examples of these around  :). For protein, add a bit more meat/soy/lentil etc and fats some coconut milk or avacado etc.

How was your DS when he was younger and on a milk only diet? Did you notice any symptoms then?