Author Topic: Going for Walks- 4 weeks...is it too much?  (Read 2391 times)

Offline jellybeanparker

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Going for Walks- 4 weeks...is it too much?
« on: March 22, 2011, 00:21:05 am »
I'd love to go on a daily walk with LO who is 4 weeks old, but we've been having some trouble getting him to sleep.  DH thinks that his walks are overstimulating him...opinions?  At what age can we start putting these activities in?

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
Re: Going for Walks- 4 weeks...is it too much?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 00:33:34 am »
I think in general that it's hard to go wrong with walks!  Fresh air, etc.  And good for mom!  Do you have a baby carrier?  You might find that he would relax more in that than in a stroller.  He'd likely fall asleep in there, too! :)
*Kate*

Offline jellybeanparker

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 00:40:53 am »
He tends to fall asleep in the stroller...could that be part of the A and then S time?

AAHH!  Just trying to figure out what's best for LO

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 00:47:02 am »
At this young age they tend to fall asleep anywhere and everywhere. ;)  I don't think he's OS by the walk if he's sleeping, though, so that answers that!

I would count the walk as A time and then count the S when he sleeps.  That's fine.  It's really hard to get them into a set EASY until around 6-8 weeks anyhow.  You can try , but don't get too discouraged if it's tough.

Hugs.  I know it's hard but try not to stress too much.  Go for a walk! :)
*Kate*

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 01:52:51 am »
I agree with Kate...being outside can be relaxing for everyone!  And on some days, when LO won't sleep at all, Mommy needs a break (more often than not, LO falls asleep anyways) ;)

I used to take DS on a walk every day: from 3 months to 12 months...he loved it and looked forward to it every day!  I'm sure your LO will, too.
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline roseola

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 03:41:36 am »
DS was born in October and we walked everyday in the stroller  while the weather held up, and then in a carrier until full blown winter....aww the memories!
Nini

Offline Lyrebird

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 06:15:59 am »
I don't think the walk would OS either. Our LO walks twice a day from 2 months on (she's now 3.5 months). In the A.M. my wife puts her in the Moby Wrap (after feeding and some play) to walk our two dogs for 30 minutes. She usually falls asleep in the wrap and then gets put in her swing when they return to continue her nap. Later in the afternoon, I put her in her stroller to walk the dogs for their P.M. walk right after her 4pm feed. That one lasts around 45 mins to an 1 hour. She is awake for the first 15 minutes and then she's out. I count that as her P.M. catnap. Let me tell you, your sanity demands that you get out and about. Agree with the PP's about the fresh air.

Offline Lyrebird

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 17:03:14 pm »
Let me add something. It will be brief since it digresses from babies to "household with baby". If you do have dogs, attaching them to the stroller gives them a "job" and sense of purpose. They LOVE this. If anyone is having trouble with dogs after baby coming home, I am more than happy to answer questions. I've worked with dogs for years. This is an all too forgotten aspect of babies in the house. I wont go on, but dogs need to be included in this whole baby thing or you get sudden "bad behavior", disruption of household, one more thing to deal with, or dog looses it's home.

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 12:19:24 pm »
DS found walks quite calming and the fresh air made him sleep better at night. However, we had to time it right... If we went during nap time, he'd be in the Carry Cot having a full nap. When he'd just napped, we had him either on our arm, in a Baby Björn or in the pram, slightly sitting up, looking out (car seat position).

Offline IzzyD's mom

• http://little(ruder word than poops that starts with 'sh') andgiggles.blogspot.com/
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 13:14:38 pm »
I think I would have gone mad were it not for walking every day - with both my babies. :)