Author Topic: could my LO have a milk allergy??  (Read 9040 times)

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
could my LO have a milk allergy??
« on: March 22, 2011, 11:08:04 am »
Not sure if this is in the right place so please feel free to move it if needed.

DS is 7 months old & is FF on Aptamil Hungry Milk.  He also has solids 3x/day.

We are in the midst of a very long period of EW's at 4-5am (its been going on for 2 months now)  I am exhausted & probably over-analysing everything, but having tried all sorts of different things already, I'm trying to consider every possible cause.  He's having around 9.5 - 11hrs sleep a night.  If I'm lucky he'll do 3hrs day sleep too.

He can be such a happy smiley boy at times but he cries & whinges A LOT too.  I love him with all my heart but he is such hard work sometimes.  I keep being told he's just a very demanding/whingy baby (he's touchy)

Sometimes though I can't help wondering if there's more to his crying than just OT or teething.  He spits up quite frequently & I questioned reflux with the GP when he was younger as he was taking massive volumes of feed, fussing, squirming & arching his back during feeds.  He's never had an issue with weight gain & the volume of spit up isnt enormous, but I'd say its 4-5times after each feed, sometimes several hours after a feed and he always whinges like he's in pain.  My GP gave us Gaviscon & said he'd grow out of it once on solids.  We still use this in every feed but he still spits up a fair bit (even though he's on solids) & it makes him constipated too.

He's also got eczema on his arms, legs & torso & his scalp is covered in severely dry & flaky skin. (I think this is eczema too).  He's currently got numerous cuts across his tummy from scratching & he has a new rash on his forehead or cheeks almost every day.  Everytime his skin is exposed to the air he is scratching.  My GP has prescribed hydro-cortisone & emollients to lather him in 3xday but he still itches.

It has crossed my mind that with reflux symptoms & eczema maybe he could have some sort of milk intolerance.  GP did say it was a possibility but didn't want to switch his milk as he might reject it.  Any thoughts???  If he was allergic/intolerant would he have other symptoms too???  And is this something that could be causing him to wake at night?  He generally sleeps fairly well until the EW but will not resettle.

I'm going to see the GP again tomorrow & I plan to ask again if we can try a hypo-allergenic milk.  Is this the best thing to do at this stage???  Or is there a way they can test to see if he has an intolerance????
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:11:16 am by clairebear79 »

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: could my LO have a milk allergy??
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 18:17:55 pm »
Hi,

Reflux and eczema can be symptoms of MPI. I will ask one of the reflux mods to come over with regards the reflux issue as they are more qualifeid than me to advise.

I would say that yes it is worth trying a hypo allergenic milk. It certainly won't hurt!

Re the EWs have you tried posting on the EASY board? It could be a routine tweak. Have you dropped the catnap yet?

xx

Offline mmom

• Showing Appreciation 96
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 22:04:14 pm »
I would think a HAF would be worth a try too.  Yes, he may not love the taste, but it would be worth a shot if it would help your LO.  It would take a few weeks to really notice if it is helping though.
Kara

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 06:38:25 am »
Buntybear - I've got an EW post on the sleep boards ATM.  Its been going on so long that I'm just trying to rule out every possible cause as I've tried many, many routine tweaks already.

Kara - you say he may not love the taste of the hypo allergenic formula - do lots of LO's have trouble with this?  This is one of the reasons my GP didn't want to change his milk last time I went as he said at this stage he'd probably reject it.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 07:36:19 am »
The HA formulas don't taste good. You may well have to introduce it slowly and dilute it with his current milk.

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 08:33:57 am »
thanks.  that's food for thought.  Don't want him going off his food, but by the same token dont want him feeling uncomfortable if he doesn't need to.  I will ask GP again & see what he says.

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 13:57:55 pm »
Can you get a second opinion from another Dr???  I personally would not be happy with the answers I am getting. It sounds to me like your LO is in quite a bit of discomfort and that is leading to loads of issues.   I couldn't nap/sleep properly if I was all itchy and had an upset stomach either.

I think you need to trust your mommy instinct and go with that.  Your GP isn't the one who is pulling his hair out trying to make your lo comfy. 

Just my opinion :-*

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 19:40:10 pm »
I don't have a lot of confidence in my mummy instinct :( I'm a first time mum & a lot of the time feel like I have no idea what I'm doing :'(

The trouble is, I have no idea if he has a milk intolerance as he has no other obvious symptoms really except the eczema & rashes.  His poos are quite explosive if he's not on the gaviscon but never mucousy or bloody.  He's just so whingey such a lot of the time & together with all the EW's its really taking its toll on me.  I'm feeling like I'm struggling to cope with looking after him.

To add to that I have family members telling me that hes 'just a difficult baby' & that all babies cry & that I should just leave him to cry & he will learn.  It makes me doubt myself as they're all parents already & have experience that I'm lacking.  But both myself and DH agree on 1 thing - we are NOT happy to leave him to cry.  Esp if we don't know if he's in pain.  He's crying to communicate with us right?

I had to cancel my doc appt today as DS went down for his nap much later than he has been doing & he's been so OT lately I didn't want to have to disturb him.  Can't see doc again until next week but I'm going to see if he'll refer me to a pead if he's not keen on doing anything more. 

I understand my GP's reluctance to try a change in milk in case he rejects it, & esp as he's at a stage now where his milk intake is going to start reducing as he heads towards 12 months, but I'm not happy with the thought that my LO could be in discomfort for several more months to come. 

I'm wondering if he'd be more receptive to changing onto something like Aptamil Easy Digest - at least thats the same brand so should taste similar?  Does anyone have any knowledge of this milk & whether its suitable or not????

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 20:42:55 pm »
You could try Aptamil Pepti - that is for MPI as I understand it.

I am not sure that all babies cry is quite accurate. A healthy baby should not cry a lot surely? I think the fact that you are posting here and going to your doctor is a doing that you are listening to your instinct and that you feel something is wrong.  :-*

Olly's only real symptoms of his allergies were crying at night and eczema and look at how many he has!

Offline mmom

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 23:40:17 pm »
((HUGS))) Honestly, even if you feel like something is wrong, it probably is. Everyone told me it was just colic and to ride it out.  We didn't switch to a HAF until my LO was 10.5 months.  I didn't dilute it or anything.  He just drank it.  I know that is not the norm, but it worked for us.  It didn't take too long for us to see a difference either!
Kara

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 08:32:23 am »
thanks ladies.  It really helps to know that you have been there & got through the other side.

I'm going to re-book an appt for next week & stick to my guns.  DS was very very whingy after his brekkie this morning, he kept burping & spitting up & the only thing that would stop him is to hold him against our chests with his legs dangling down so he was completely upright.  We both agreed it seemed like discomfort, though he was also tired from waking at 5am.

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 14:12:46 pm »
Good call!  I know he sounds grumpy to you, and he may be, but I know with my DD I was certain she was touchy until I got her milk/soy intolerance squared away.  She turned into a completely different baby!!!  She is happy and smiley and very excited about life (ok maybe a lot she is spirited for real) but I would never have thought any of those things about her for the first 4mo of her life!!  I didn't think she would ever be happy.

Also, healthy lo's don't just cry for no reason.  That is old school thinking by people who did not have the resources to figure something else out.  Medicine has changed so much over the last 20-30 yrs and we know so much more about lo and their pain.  We know now that things cause it whereas before they didn't even know about reflux or intolerance.  Like my Dr said to me with my #1 when she first told me about reflux...she said "not that long ago infants had the chance of dying from having reflux" simply put if it hurts too much to eat you don't eat.  Now that is hard to imagine, but I know from experience how hard it can be for a little body to deal with something so simple as food.  My nephew had reflux and intolerance 10yr ago and even just 10yrs ago they did not treat reflux the same as they do now.  He had strong food aversions until he was over 2 and just now at 10 is starting to do better with food.

Sorry that is such a ramble..too early in the morning I guess.  The point I was making is you can tell your baby is hurting and there is nothing wrong with wanting to protect them from feeling pain so tell anyone who has another opinion to go fly a kite! :P

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 21:09:35 pm »
I wanted to drop off some support and {{{HUGS}}}.

I think your gut may have been right all along with it being reflux. Gaviscon can sometimes help but your lo may need something more. There are many safe drugs out there that can make a huge difference. It's a school of thought with many gp's that they outgrow reflux when they're on solids but none of mine did.

Many lo's take to new formula no problem. You can also do this gradually so that the taste doesn't throw them off. There are many good hypo allergenic formulas (HAF) that do a great job with these lo's. I'd strongly suggest bringing this up with your gp as it may be all that's needed to do the trick. Aptimil Pepti may be something you could look into.

If your gut is telling you that he's in pain, he very well may be. I'd suggest going back to your gp and taking a list of written symptoms but caution against focusing mostly on sleep disturbances. Personally, that never got us anywhere. Focusing on behaviour like you had said about the back arching, squirming, seeming like he's in pain etc.

Don't worry about your instinct not being correct. I felt the same my first time around and made to feel that I was simply overwhelmed with having twins. Yes I was overwhelmed, but there was more going on and it wasn't diagnosed until the twins were 14 months old.

Stick to your guns. I think you're on to something and it sounds all to familiar to me. Sometimes eczema and fussiness are the only symptoms of mpi and the mpi could very well be causing the reflux. My gut is telling me reflux just reading this. Yes all babies cry to an extent, but not constantly and exhibiting behaviour indicating pain.

I hope this helps some. You're doing a great job, and your lo will thank you for not giving up.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 22:20:57 pm »
I agree with Sarah and Vicki about pushing reflux with your GP and maybe trying some new meds. Olly didn't have reflux but I would say that a 7 month old spitting up after eating doesn't sound right to me. Hopefully the right meds will show some improvement  :-*

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 18:58:43 pm »
Its been a while getting back to posting about this but also wanted to say huge thanks Sarah, Vicki & Buntybear for the extra reassurance.  I've been feeling very low as we have had days & days of whinging/crying - not all day long but for a good part of it & something just tells me this is not how its meant to be.

I had to cancel last week's appt with the GP but got there to see him today.

Initially he said that PND can make all the crying etc seem a lot worse than it really is & I thought I was going to be fobbed off. 

But when I told him about him still spitting up so many times a day & that he seems uncomfortable with it, whinging/crying a lot, eczema, face rashes etc etc he seemed to pay more attention.  I took my digital camera with me to show him some photos of a rash on his face that appeared yesterday & he also checked him over as he's still rashy today. 

He said it could be milk intolerance.

I told him I'd wondered if it could be the milk too & feel like I have to at least give it a try at changing onto a hypo-allergenic or reflux formula soon, as we can't go on like we are.  Its really getting me down.  He mentioned trying soy milk but that DS might not like it, so I asked about Aptamil Pepti (thanks for the suggestion Vicki) or something equivalent as I've heard many babies who are milk intolerant also struggle with soy.

He didnt prescribe anything there & then as he wants the health visiting team to come in & assess the feeding & make the recommendation as to which milk is the best option.  Apparently they know more about it than he does.  ??????

He's arranging an urgent appt with the HV & says if they dont make a recommendation then he will prescribe something for us to try within the week & will prob arrange a referral to a pediatrician. I feel so relieved that he actually listened to me.

Does anyone know if Aptamil Pepti will deal with the reflux symptoms or would he need reflux meds as well?  I really want to get him off the Gaviscon if I can.

Offline mmom

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 20:57:56 pm »
((HUGS)) If the reflux is a symptom of a milk intolerance, then a formula change can make a difference.  It will still take a bit of time though.  If the reflux is a separate issue, then you will need meds too.

I am glad you feel that you got heard and I am sorry you are having a difficult time.  Hopefully, a ped referral will help.
Kara

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 21:09:48 pm »
I think there are 2 types of reflus - anatomical and reflux triggered by a food intolerance (commonly milk). If Oliver has the 2nd then chaging milk should help. I think in the UK they would prescribe Nutramigen and then Neocate (that how it worked for us anyway).

Glad things are moving on for you now! And yes, when you are low then the crying seems so much worse. HUGS

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 21:48:18 pm »
I'm so relieved for you that your Dr listened and didn't brush you off.

I agree with everyone about the formula possibly making a difference. If it's related to a food intolerance it should help quite a bit. I hope for you that it is and a simple formula change will do it for you. I know E's reflux is far worse when I'm consuming a lot of milk.

More {{{hugs}}} I hope this gets sorted for you quick.

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 19:02:48 pm »
Thanks again ladies for all the support.

I've spoken with a HV today to try arrange an appt for them to review DS's feeding & recommend a suitable milk for us to try ( at my GP's request).  Couldn't get an appt as her 2 colleagues off sick atm & she wasn't really able to offer any advice except to go & speak to a pharmacist as they will be more clued up about the latest milk products & what needs to be done.  

Did that & the pharmacist firstly told me they couldn't give advice about special formulas, that I'd need a prescription (like I didnt know) & that he thinks its just wind & I should spend a week trying to burp him better. I pointed out he was 7 months old & that I know how to bring his wind up & could see that was just his way of getting rid of me. 

These people are supposed to be professionals????!!!!!  Sigh!!!!  So back to the GP I go.

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 19:18:53 pm »
{{{Hugs}}}

Offline mmom

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2011, 11:38:40 am »
More Hugs.  This is part of the fight with reflux and intolerances.  It is a fight that most moms don't have the energy for, since they are exhausted, frustrated, and lost.  Hang in there and push to get help/answers.
Kara

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 19:11:43 pm »
How frustrating going round and round in circles  ::)

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2011, 19:34:39 pm »
tell me about it!!

The worst bit was the patronising pharmacist saying its just wind.  DS was sick 5 times after his milk & breakfast this morning (not counting what he brought up when he was burped) & approx 3 times after each other feed/meal today.  And he's super itchy on his tummy & has another new face rash today.  If that's just wind then I'm really doing something wrong here!

I'm going to give the GP a call on monday & hopefully he will prescribe us something to try.  I suspect I may have to ask for a specific formula as he doesn't seem to be that clued up on them.  Sigh.  Do other people have these troubles?????

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 20:14:13 pm »
*hugs*

I think the problem is that MPI is not common enough for the average GP or HV to know very much about it  :(

The chief HV in my area (who made me cry after most visits  >:() told me that Aptamil Comfort is the same as a prescription hydrolysed protein formula - IT ISN'T!! - makes you wonder if they have to fail an IQ test...  ::)

Although they always caution against it, I think you can learn far more online in places like this than you can from HVs or GPs. Even the 'experts' the peds don't always keep up with the latest information... ours told us there is no benefit to BF after 6 mo and that it's positively harmful after 8 mo  :o (No I don't agree!)

Unfortunately it looks like you'll need to educate your GP  :( Just ask them to do a quick search online for MPI symptoms and they'll soon see that it is very likely your LO may have it.

Good luck, really hope you get somewhere this time  :-*

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 21:33:20 pm »
TBH our GP is pretty good and referred us to an allergist fairly quickly. I was BFing though and so didn't have the urgency as you do. Hopefully you will get the milk Monday and see some improvements very quickly.

Offline mmom

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 22:42:40 pm »
I would just start with a HAF.  It seems they must least know about that?
Kara

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2011, 14:02:12 pm »
We will see.  HAF is what I asked for so I will just ask again & again.  Although GP didnt know much about the latest milk products available, he was fairly sympathetic to my concerns as he actually has milk intolerance himself, so I am reasonably confident he will give us one to try.

& Kara - you are right you can learn more from these forums than the GP's & HV's put together seem to know about this subject!

Keep your fingers crossed for me this week.x

Offline mmom

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 23:34:18 pm »
Fingers and toes crossed.  Good luck.
Kara

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 19:42:18 pm »
So the GP & his in-house pharmacy have no idea what milk to give me & haven't gotten any help from the HV.  I'm getting nowhere fast!   ::)They rang today & said Dr would prescribe a soy milk - was that OK with me - I said I'd prefer hypo-allergenic - but they have no idea of the reasons why not to use soy for possible MPI nor about the oestrogen thing.  They have no idea what products are available for this & I had to tell them names of brands of milk for them to look for on the prescription list.  Its not like I'm any sort of expert is it  ::)- its only what I've found out online!!!

I asked for Aptamil Pepti since he is already using Aptamil & they told me it wasnt even available on prescription.  I had to ring aptamil to confirm & then go back to the docs.  They've finally agreed it is available but said they need the GP's permission as it is in fact a drug & not a milk. ??? ???  So I'm still waiting.

Anyone come up against this??

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2011, 20:18:15 pm »
Hi,

Have just found this thread on the CRC board... interesting  ;)

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=190023.0

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 16:51:33 pm »
hooray we got our HA formula today!!!!!

Only a teeny weeny 400g tin & then need 48hrs notice to prescribe more but at least its a start!!!!

Wish us luck on our dairy free trial.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 17:31:44 pm »
Good Luck! Which one did you get?

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 18:23:53 pm »
We got Aptamil Pepti.  Only because he's already on Aptamil Hungry so I hoped it might be the most similar tasting & therefore the least likely for him to reject.....since people say they all taste yuk!!!!!

Offline Hedgehog17

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 20:33:53 pm »
 ;D Great that you finally got the Pepti  ;D

It may take a while for the milk to clear from his system, but you should see an improvement almost immediately in terms of his digestion  :)

Really happy for you!

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2011, 06:58:42 am »
he didn't like the milk!  drank 1 oz then spat the bottle out, shuddered & pulled a 'yuk!' face & refused to take any more.  I guess we will have to wean him onto it gradually.

Any tips on how to do this?  If I swap 1 scoop of his regular milk for 1 scoop of the new milk, should I do this for 1 day & if he accepts it no prob then increase to 2 scoops the next day & keep going like that, or am I better to do it even more slowly & just increase the amount of HA formula say every 3-5 days????

Offline Hedgehog17

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2011, 10:37:24 am »
Meh  :(

I think it's best if you can get him onto the Pepti asap, so yes go for your first method, and see if you can get him to take half and half pepti / regular by the end of today. Next day aim for 1/4 regular to 3/4 pepti by the end of the day.

Good luck!

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2011, 17:34:22 pm »
I agree. The fastest you can get him on the pepti the better.

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2011, 20:21:20 pm »
I tried again this pm with 1 scoop Pepti to 6 scoops regular.  I'm sure he could taste the difference as he kept pulling off the bottle & he drank about 5oz where he would usually drink more or less the whole 7.

We're going to try again tomorrow morning with the same amount & see what happens.  If he takes it ok then we'll up the Pepti in the following feed.

Thanks ladies.xx

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 22:16:12 pm »
Hopefully that am feed will do some difference. I've always found my lo's more willing to try new foods in the am on an empty stomach and when in a good mood after a good rest. Hopefully this is the case for you.

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2011, 07:03:54 am »
he had 6 of 7oz.  So we'll see what he does at the next one.  If he takes a good amount then I'll put 2 scoops in the pm feed.

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2011, 19:08:59 pm »
So ladies, tomorrow we're up to 5 scoops of Pepti. 

Decided to do it really slowly & increase 1 scoop every day provided he takes his feeds ok & so far so good.  He's taking his normal amount of milk so I think (hope) he's accepting the taste.

Fingers crossed in another 3 days we'll be fully weaned onto the HA formula.

Offline Hedgehog17

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2011, 20:29:02 pm »
Crossing them for you!  ;D

Glad it's working, albeit slowly. Any change in his symptoms yet?

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2011, 07:04:56 am »
Well he's still spitting up a bit but I'd say its less than before.  If I'd answered this yesterday I'd have said there has been a definite improvement in his facial rashes too, but this morning he's rashy again (though that could be due to me applying nivea suncream yesterday).  Until we're completely dairy free I couldn't say for sure.  I guess if there's no change we just assume its reflux with coincidental skin sensitivities.

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
Re: could my LO have a milk allergy?? *UPDATE*
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2011, 18:57:09 pm »
Update: DS has been completely dairy free for 5 days now!

I gave him a fish dinner just over a week ago & the next day he was all rashy - I realised it contained milk, butter and cheese so I do think that dairy is causing adverse skin reactions if nothing else. 

Since I started reducing his dairy intake his skin seems much clearer & hasn't been anywhere near as rashy or dry.  I also noticed today that the severely dry skin (?cradle cap?) he has had on his scalp since 5 weeks old has suddenly improved.  The front half of his head is almost clear now.

I'm hoping in time it may have a positive effect on his eczema too as his trunk is covered in cuts where he has scratched himself.

He's still spitting up but perhaps not as much as before.  Though he's been on a lower dose of Gaviscon so this could be the cause.  I've agreed with the doctors to keep him on a higher dose for now as this seems to control the spit up much more.  I plan to wait for a few weeks to completely eliminate the dairy from his diet then try a feed or two without the Gaviscon to see if there is any improvement in his reflux.  If not I will be asking my GP for reflux meds.

Offline mmom

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2011, 22:55:38 pm »
I am so glad things are improving Claire.  That is great news!
Kara

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2011, 20:32:18 pm »
I just read all this and I am intrigued b/c this is exactly what I am going through...DS is 7 months old and we have been having NWs and reflux since birth and everyone told me its his routine...well now hes on one and its still bad.  Since 4 months old he has been on milk based formula before bed as I pump and bf every other feeding.  I am starting to think he has a milk intolerance as well.  He spits up like crazy, on reflux meds (tried 2 different ones and it doesnt make a difference) and sleeps like crap!!  He is very restless and just tosses and turns and cannot get comfortable. I am not even calling my dr b/c last time I did they told me to let him CIO, I tried it 2 times and he just screams bloody murder for up to 1.5 hours with me going in and checking on him and I cannot do it b/c I know he is crying for a reason.  So, I purchased a soy based formal that is milk and lactose free to try.  (Prosobee Lipil and Isomil advance) I am still bf and I only have one serving of dairy a day and I am currently weaning bf anyway so in about 2 weeks time he will be strictly formula fed.  Anway, his symptoms are constipation, cradle cap and very restless and can be fussy at times...any thoughts??