Author Topic: could my LO have a milk allergy??  (Read 9106 times)

Offline mmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 96
Re: could my LO have a milk allergy??
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 20:57:56 pm »
((HUGS)) If the reflux is a symptom of a milk intolerance, then a formula change can make a difference.  It will still take a bit of time though.  If the reflux is a separate issue, then you will need meds too.

I am glad you feel that you got heard and I am sorry you are having a difficult time.  Hopefully, a ped referral will help.
Kara

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 21:09:48 pm »
I think there are 2 types of reflus - anatomical and reflux triggered by a food intolerance (commonly milk). If Oliver has the 2nd then chaging milk should help. I think in the UK they would prescribe Nutramigen and then Neocate (that how it worked for us anyway).

Glad things are moving on for you now! And yes, when you are low then the crying seems so much worse. HUGS

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 21:48:18 pm »
I'm so relieved for you that your Dr listened and didn't brush you off.

I agree with everyone about the formula possibly making a difference. If it's related to a food intolerance it should help quite a bit. I hope for you that it is and a simple formula change will do it for you. I know E's reflux is far worse when I'm consuming a lot of milk.

More {{{hugs}}} I hope this gets sorted for you quick.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 19:02:48 pm »
Thanks again ladies for all the support.

I've spoken with a HV today to try arrange an appt for them to review DS's feeding & recommend a suitable milk for us to try ( at my GP's request).  Couldn't get an appt as her 2 colleagues off sick atm & she wasn't really able to offer any advice except to go & speak to a pharmacist as they will be more clued up about the latest milk products & what needs to be done.  

Did that & the pharmacist firstly told me they couldn't give advice about special formulas, that I'd need a prescription (like I didnt know) & that he thinks its just wind & I should spend a week trying to burp him better. I pointed out he was 7 months old & that I know how to bring his wind up & could see that was just his way of getting rid of me. 

These people are supposed to be professionals????!!!!!  Sigh!!!!  So back to the GP I go.

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 19:18:53 pm »
{{{Hugs}}}
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline mmom

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2011, 11:38:40 am »
More Hugs.  This is part of the fight with reflux and intolerances.  It is a fight that most moms don't have the energy for, since they are exhausted, frustrated, and lost.  Hang in there and push to get help/answers.
Kara

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 19:11:43 pm »
How frustrating going round and round in circles  ::)

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2011, 19:34:39 pm »
tell me about it!!

The worst bit was the patronising pharmacist saying its just wind.  DS was sick 5 times after his milk & breakfast this morning (not counting what he brought up when he was burped) & approx 3 times after each other feed/meal today.  And he's super itchy on his tummy & has another new face rash today.  If that's just wind then I'm really doing something wrong here!

I'm going to give the GP a call on monday & hopefully he will prescribe us something to try.  I suspect I may have to ask for a specific formula as he doesn't seem to be that clued up on them.  Sigh.  Do other people have these troubles?????

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 20:14:13 pm »
*hugs*

I think the problem is that MPI is not common enough for the average GP or HV to know very much about it  :(

The chief HV in my area (who made me cry after most visits  >:() told me that Aptamil Comfort is the same as a prescription hydrolysed protein formula - IT ISN'T!! - makes you wonder if they have to fail an IQ test...  ::)

Although they always caution against it, I think you can learn far more online in places like this than you can from HVs or GPs. Even the 'experts' the peds don't always keep up with the latest information... ours told us there is no benefit to BF after 6 mo and that it's positively harmful after 8 mo  :o (No I don't agree!)

Unfortunately it looks like you'll need to educate your GP  :( Just ask them to do a quick search online for MPI symptoms and they'll soon see that it is very likely your LO may have it.

Good luck, really hope you get somewhere this time  :-*

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 21:33:20 pm »
TBH our GP is pretty good and referred us to an allergist fairly quickly. I was BFing though and so didn't have the urgency as you do. Hopefully you will get the milk Monday and see some improvements very quickly.

Offline mmom

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 22:42:40 pm »
I would just start with a HAF.  It seems they must least know about that?
Kara

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2011, 14:02:12 pm »
We will see.  HAF is what I asked for so I will just ask again & again.  Although GP didnt know much about the latest milk products available, he was fairly sympathetic to my concerns as he actually has milk intolerance himself, so I am reasonably confident he will give us one to try.

& Kara - you are right you can learn more from these forums than the GP's & HV's put together seem to know about this subject!

Keep your fingers crossed for me this week.x

Offline mmom

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 23:34:18 pm »
Fingers and toes crossed.  Good luck.
Kara

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 19:42:18 pm »
So the GP & his in-house pharmacy have no idea what milk to give me & haven't gotten any help from the HV.  I'm getting nowhere fast!   ::)They rang today & said Dr would prescribe a soy milk - was that OK with me - I said I'd prefer hypo-allergenic - but they have no idea of the reasons why not to use soy for possible MPI nor about the oestrogen thing.  They have no idea what products are available for this & I had to tell them names of brands of milk for them to look for on the prescription list.  Its not like I'm any sort of expert is it  ::)- its only what I've found out online!!!

I asked for Aptamil Pepti since he is already using Aptamil & they told me it wasnt even available on prescription.  I had to ring aptamil to confirm & then go back to the docs.  They've finally agreed it is available but said they need the GP's permission as it is in fact a drug & not a milk. ??? ???  So I'm still waiting.

Anyone come up against this??

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2011, 20:18:15 pm »
Hi,

Have just found this thread on the CRC board... interesting  ;)

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=190023.0