Author Topic: (Almost) 12 month old throwing food  (Read 4716 times)

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
« on: March 23, 2011, 12:50:21 pm »
Hello, I have a question.  My DS (who will turn 1 next week!) has taken to throwing his food on the floor.  I know that this is normal and am under the impression that most babies do this at some point (I think).  I don't care about having to clean it up - that is not the problem, it's just that I want to teach him that he shouldn't do that, but am not sure that I'm handling it in the right way.  Basically, he will eat his finger foods and then when he is done he starts throwing it on the floor.  I know he knows that he's not supposed to do it at this point because he will literally smirk at me when he is doing it! (It takes all that I have not to burst out laughing and sometimes have to turn my back so he can't see me choke back my laughter!) I tell him no when he does it and if he hasn't released it yet (which is usually the case because he does it very slowly and watches me carefully before he does it), I gently take it out of his hand.  If he does it a few times in a row, I take his tray away. (I don't think he is missing out on any eating because he typically will eat and then start to throw when he's done).  I don't act mad or anything, but just firmly tell him that we don't throw our food, but that I love him and we'll try again next meal.  Is that how you would handle it? My other thought was to let him do it, but walk away so that he doesn't see me watching him do it and hope that he decides that it's not fun anymore. 

He also plays with his food, but I let him do that (ie smushing it in his hand, rubbing it with two hands, etc).  I know eventually you don't want them to, but he is still learning about food, so I'm fine with the playing.

Do you think I'm handling the food throwing in the right way?
Thanks!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline ConorsMum2009

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: (Almost) 12 month old throwing food
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 13:56:06 pm »
Hi!

My DS is 18 mo and i remember when he was learning to feed himself and food would be everywhere!! I took pics one day as the floor was covered.

Anyway i think you have the right idea about not getting too stressed about him throwing the food, he is learning and encouraging him to mush and feel food will really help.  I think its just a phase/timing period that all toddlers go through.  i used to get so stressed with DS and would hold one side of the bowl as he used to think its great to 'fling' the bowl everywhere.  So for a few months i would sit with him and let him 'throw' but correct him whenever he did it.  He started creche and we noticed how he got so independent that he now feeds himself and wont go near his high chair anymore!

Just go with the flow and remember he will grow out of it, its just great fun! I would not really react to the throwing, as with everything they mostly 'do' things to press our buttons....

Hope that helps

Claire x
Ectopic Preg May 2007, right tube removed.  DS born September 2009, DS2 born May '12

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 13:31:51 pm »
This is a very normal stage that all LOs go through, I will move this to Eating for Toddlers as that is where most of the threads about eating issues go  ;)
Katt

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 15:38:50 pm »
Thanks, Claire and Katt!
--Nicole

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 06:43:26 am »
I think you will have food going over the highchair for a while yet as LOs like to see the cause and effect of what they do, like what happens if I drop this off the side, oh look that's fun, mum has to pick it up!! When some throw food it indicates they are not hungry anymore so taking food away straight away is one way of approaching it but you DS is still so very young, it is all part of the learning about eating food process. I bet he looks cute with food smeared all over himself  ;D
Katt

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 08:23:05 am »
Hi

We had food throwing for AGES! It starts amusing and then gets incredibly annoying, especially as they get stronger and realise they can throw forward as well as down! Then you get cuttlery being thrown, the fun never ends!

Any reaction at all succeeds in getting them the attention they want, like you say it's very difficult not to laugh. You're doing the right thing in taking his food off him as soon as he starts throwing, the other thing is to not give it back once it's gone.
 What we used to do was hold DD's plate in front of her and ask her to put the food back on her plate, then shower her with praise for doing so. When food got thrown mid meal we ignored her, didn't even look at her (this is VERY difficult) and eventually she got the hint. Once she was older we made her pick up everything that she had thrown.

It does stop eventually, I think DD was two when she stopped.

As with everything 'it is just another phase!'
Formerly 'The Goblin'

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 11:25:59 am »
Thanks!!

It was kind of funny yesterday because he was finished eating his scrambled egg, and was about to start throwing it down, but I put his bowl on his tray and he started putting the pieces back in the bowl! It was really cute! Dinnertime was another story, but you win some, you lose some, lol :) 

Thanks to everyone for the advice!
--Nicole

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 14:09:34 pm »
They do feel very important if they feel like they are being helpful, constant no's and telling them off just results in worse behaviour. He will stop doing it, eventually!

I hope he had a lovely birthday. x
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline kiansmam

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 20:32:58 pm »
hi hun, i've discovered if i just ignore kian and sit somewhere else in the room he just gets on with it and eats great. he only starts throwing when he's finished x
Staff nurse and Health Visitor

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 11:15:08 am »
Thanks, ladies!

I have noticed that if I walk away to do something at the sink or fridge while his high chair is pulled up to the table, I'll come back and he'll be eating beautifully with no throwing.  That is also the time that he tries something new.  Babies are so funny!
--Nicole