Author Topic: ? Could it be milk allergy  (Read 1273 times)

Offline J_Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 24, 2011, 10:56:59 am »
Euan is 13 wks. Since 3wks he had a v. stuffy nose. At 6 wks he started being v squirmy, difficult to settle, swallowing a lot, spitting up a lot (even hours after feeding), gassy (both ends). Nappies usually yellowy brown, but not same consistency throughout, some 'curds' and maybe 'mucous'. I've never got him to sleep on his back (although have tried). I have tried a few wks on and off w/ no dairy and it seemed to help but am not sure as at this age things change a lot, i dont want to keep thinking anytime we have a bad nite is it milk? Part of the problem is i find it difficult to do, and do 1wk then we have lunch at IL's etc. Also the symptoms r quite vague. He doesnt seem colicky and doesnt cry a lot during the day. Please could i have some advice? Oh and i forgot to say we have multiple NWs. Thanks kasy

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Re: ? Could it be milk allergy
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 02:45:46 am »
Hi Kasy :)

I'm mostly just bumping this up for you.  Dylan has a milk allergy, but he gets hives on contact so it was pretty easy for us to figure out :P  The one thing I will say though, is if you're doing a dairy elimination you really need to do it for 2 weeks at a minimum, and 4 weeks is even better, to see if the symptoms actually improve.  It can take up to 2 weeks for all of the dairy proteins to leave your breastmilk, and up to another 2 weeks for them to clear your ds' system (which is why 4 weeks is best if you can do it).  On and off really won't give you a clear idea because there's still proteins there, kwim?  It is hard (I know, I did it!) but it's definitely doable with planning.
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline J_Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 13:23:34 pm »
tks, is difficult as am not in the habit so keep having things which later turn out 2have butter in. Also am not sure if its an allergy as apart from the gas and sleep probs he seems fairly content... Kasy

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 22:09:17 pm »
TBH it sounds like it could be reflux. Have a look at this info and see what you think...

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0

Some reflux can helped by eliminating dairy but as Vicki says you really do to do this consistently to see the reuslts.

Offline j.and.e

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 21:27:26 pm »
tks. Am not sure on reflux. Some symptons fit (huge spitter) but he is only fussy some feeds. Think will chat2dr and see what she thinks. Tks again kasy