Author Topic: Best way to prepare chicken for baby?  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
Best way to prepare chicken for baby?
« on: March 28, 2011, 15:38:13 pm »
So if I have chicken breasts, what's the best way to prepare them for DD2, and also the easiest way so that I can keep it cooked then use it later in the day if that makes sense...

Thanks
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: Best way to prepare chicken for baby?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 15:42:49 pm »
Just so you can offer her chunks of chicken?

You could oven cook it and then stick it in the fridge when its cooled down.

My cousins wife boils chicken breasts to use it for sandwiches etc.

Or I do nuggets.. so cut chicken in good sized pieces...I dip in flour then egg then breadcrumbs then shallow fry in oil. 

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 15:44:27 pm »
And to just give you a laugh, when i first glanced at the title of your post I thought it was someone asking how to prepare their pet chicken for the arrival of a baby!  I really should sort R's NWs and get more sleep as I think i am slowly but surely losing it!!!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 16:25:30 pm »
And to just give you a laugh, when i first glanced at the title of your post I thought it was someone asking how to prepare their pet chicken for the arrival of a baby!  I really should sort R's NWs and get more sleep as I think i am slowly but surely losing it!!!
This, is hilarious!  ;D

I think poaching is probably the most straightforward and makes it easy for baby to eat.  I find sometimes if I do it in the oven it's too dry or there are hard bits that are difficult for F to manage.  Although I have to say for myself poaching chicken is not appealing at all.  :P
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 19:16:47 pm »

He he - that's the only reason I'm on this thread - I thought the same thing   :P ;D

Poached is good.  It's easier for them to chew or mush it up if it is cut against the 'grain' (is that the term?!) as it then falls apart more easily.  So if you cut it accross the breast into finger size pieces it will crumble as they chew it.
x
Claire x

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 19:20:56 pm »
Quote from: Shiv52 on Today at 04:44:27 PM

He he - that's the only reason I'm on this thread - I thought the same thing   Tongue Grin
And me!

I always used to stir fry chicken for mine - and then it was already in chunks that I could freeze and use later.

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 20:38:26 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Literally cannot stop laughing and snorting Shiv, how did I not see this coming?!!!!!!!  I wonder how poultry do cope with the addition of a new baby... ;)

So erm how does one poach chicken?! I like the sound of it being nice and easy for her to eat, and yes I want it in chunks as finger food...I have bought mini chicken fillets. I must admit for me, DH and DD1 it tends to be fried in olive oil or grilled...But I do think it might be a bit tough for DD2 like that.

And once it's cooked, cooled down and I put it in the fridge how long will it last? And I can cook it, cool it then freeze it can I? (As you might have guessed I'm a bit on the hop when I cook usually, not much organisation ::))

THanks

Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 20:57:03 pm »
And I can cook it, cool it then freeze it can I?
Yes.

Don't really know how you poach a chicken, though - I think it involves putting it in the oven in a small amount of water, but I am open to correction on that.  You could always get a whole chicken and roast it - then there will be plenty of nice tender meat for dd2.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 21:33:11 pm »
Poaching is just cooking it in water I think, so either in the oven or on the stove.  Also, if you can go for dark meat for her, it's fattier and great for babies.  I like the idea of roasting a whole chicken, there is a little bit of everything there for everyone.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 22:13:37 pm »
You can go easy peasy and buy a whole (small) chicken and put it in a crockpot with a bit of stock and seasonings or an onion inside and a bit of butter.....and just cook for hours and allow it to practically fall off the bones itself. That way it's super moist and easy to chew and you don't do much work at all.