Author Topic: Weaning from Soy formula  (Read 2169 times)

Offline lilisuze

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 46
« on: March 28, 2011, 12:18:02 pm »
OK the time has come.

I am fed up of making formula, and need a break from it before the new baby arrives in 3 months.

I am due to do a milk trial with DS in the next few weeks, but in the meantime i thought I'd try goats milk. Which was a complete disaster. We bigged it up "hey this is big boys milk, from the carton, can you see the goat picture on it?" Tried it in a beaker, big boys cup, on cereal.....

NOT HAPPENING!

TBH i dont think he will take kindly to normal milk now even if his stomach could tolerate it. He's just so set on the WYsoy

I have weaned down the amount of soy milk to about 6oz per day. A little bit with cereal, and 1 beaker either morning or night. Other times he has watered down orange juice or apple juice, or sugar free dilutey cordial.

I am concerned that every time i see a health professional their eyes pop out on stalks when I say he has soy milk. Like "OMG, you feed your child something thats going to wither his testes and you dont even care" type attitude. Its not that I dont care, Up until now, its been important for me and for him to be happy, healthy and have the nutritional benefits. But, he is eating well now (for a toddler!) and has a relative good range of foods. Will eat veg and fruit at most meals, and eats meat, potatoes and pasta.

So my question is this......should i just quit the milk completely? I'm pretty sure at the next trial I can get him to tolerate small amounts of cheese for calcium intake (he likes it too so thats a bonus). Should I just be grateful he's gaining weight and growing/developing as i would expect.

He's on the 9th centile for weight, and between 2-9 for height, but has been since day 1!

If you've read this far, then thanks, and I'd appreciate your thoughts

Lili xx
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Weaning from Soy formula
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 14:57:21 pm »
So my question is this......should i just quit the milk completely?

Spencer is about the same age and we are down to 6 oz of soy milk most days, sometimes 10-12, and we are totally dairy free (for all I know she may tolerate it now, but we are doing a gluten-free, casein-free diet).  I do give her a calcium supplement, but her diet is fairly limited.  If he can tolerate cheese or maybe yogurt I would probably go with that, and now that I think on it Masyn rarely drinks milk, but gets her calcium from yogurt and cheese and she is doing just fine!
Heidi

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 12:33:21 pm »
Why don't you try mixing whatever milk you choose with the formula and gradually reduce the amount of formula/ increase the amount of milk so he gets used to the taste? Do you have a plan if cow's milk is a no go after the trial? If he still has a problem with cow's milk then he could have a problem with goat's milk as the protiens are similar and can cause the same issues.

Laura

Offline lilisuze

• Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 12:46:16 pm »
lolly and heidi. Thanks for checking in!

I have been suggested goats milk because everyone seems to be obsessed by lactose intolerance here. I dont think that even the Health Care people really get the MPI thing. I thought it was worth a try, after all this time I know the signs quite well. But he does not like it!

I do not have a plan if he does not tolerate milk in a few weeks. I am just going to go with hidden dairy like butter in cakes (which seems ok even now) and cheese which seems to be ok too. Not yogurt, that was the WORST!

I will try the mixing.....is it ok to mix formula and homogenised milk? or will it go weirdly lumpy?

Lili xx
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 12:48:38 pm »
It's fine to mix, make the formula first then top it up with milk. We did this to wean DS off his reflux formula and that's a slightly thicker milk, with no problems!

Laura

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 15:25:31 pm »
We mixed milk and formula too, it was fine.

Not yogurt, that was the WORST!

That's no good...and for sure it can't be just lactose as the problem because yogurt doesn't have as much.
Heidi