Author Topic: how long for symptoms to go away after trialing milk  (Read 1138 times)

Offline ole

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
how long for symptoms to go away after trialing milk
« on: March 30, 2011, 23:53:55 pm »
DS is/was allergic to milk formula so takes alimentum. He is a year now and I wanted to see if he could tolerate cows milk. Tried for a week and he got eczema on his face, belly and back and behind his knees. He didnt get hives or a rash like before nor did he have mucous in his stools like before. I am not sure if its a reaction to the milk but I will always wonder so I stopped and went back to the formula. I want to try hemp milk but how long should I wait before trying it? Do I wait til all the exzema clears up so I will know if he reacts to the hemp? Thanks.

Offline Little toes

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
Re: how long for symptoms to go away after trialing milk
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 01:19:02 am »
I had a similar issue with dd. I have her on almond and rice milk, alternating every few days. Maybe wait til exzema clears, then try hemp.

Offline ole

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 01:45:09 am »
Was that the only symptom or were there others? Do you remember how long it took before the exzema cleared?

Offline Little toes

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 03:50:46 am »
Dd has a problem with the protein in cow's milk, also with gluten. So for her the cow's milk gave her bad stomach cramps, and tbh it wasn't in her system long enough to show thru the skin - exzema. As for the gluten, after a day or two of eating breads, pasta, etc, she starts to get skin irritation on her chin, goes down her neck, covers torso. When it's really bad it goes down her legs. Takes a week to see a definate improvement in her skin, tho that doesn't mean it's completely cleared.

I never kept her on cow's milk long, tried only 3 night feeds - BT bottle. Her tossing and turning was enough for me to see it didn't suit her. I have the same prob, milk and gluten, so I wasn't willing to try it longer. So on average it's a week to clear from dd's system, or at least to notice it's going away.