Author Topic: ideas to get him eating cheese please  (Read 4453 times)

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 100
ideas to get him eating cheese please
« on: March 31, 2011, 03:40:18 am »
hiya,
ds2 has multiple food intolerances, dairy/soy/salicylates. currently losing interest in his milk (neocate formula) so doing some dairy trials as desperately need to get more calcium into him.

he is tolerating yoghurt ;D and now we are doing a trial of cheese BUT i cant get him to eat the stuff!! (never had this issue with ds1 who eats pretty much anything!)

i've tried cubes, grated, slices, sticks. tried babybels, swiss, tasty cheese, colby cheese. only thing i've had some success with is he has eaten a couple of pieces of grated cheese, but then continues to spit the rest out. any more ideas on types of cheeses, i'm thinking maybe a milder flavour/softer texture may be needed??

i've also managed to add it to his pasta, and he had grilled cheese on toast today (tho i added vegemite so he couldnt taste it so much i can only use that occasionally as it is high in salicylates. so would appreciate more ideas here too.

i know i can just add it to his food but would love him to just eat some as it is easier when i have to measure/weigh portions and know exactly how much he is consuming atm for it to be a valid trial.

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
Re: ideas to get him eating cheese please
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 03:51:32 am »
DS didn't really like cold cheese, either, until only about 4 months ago.  Will eat grilled cheese sandwiches every day if we let him ::)

Have you tried cottage cheese?  It's kind of like yogurt, and it's a healthy food.
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 06:46:39 am »
Yeah , cottage cheese is a good idea. Cheese is going to be the next thing we try. Just going to wait for the teething to die down. He looked longingly at E when I sliced her cheese for lunch today so I hope he'll eat it!

With the yogurt did you make your own? And how much did you introduce at a time? I plan to do yogurt made with raw milk after cheese.
Jenny - mama to

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 07:04:24 am »
You need a hell a lot of cheese for Mac and Cheese (grated cheddar works best). If he prefers red sauces (like my DS) you add a bit of tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes to it.

Offline nelliestar

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • Growing Up
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 13:08:54 pm »
DS will not eat cheese in any form either and just says "Yak!"

Listening in and hoping you will find something that works for you xxxxxxxxxx
Bram Robert Reilly Con Fitzsimmons...Born 22/12/08
Angel/textbook....now with added spirit!
Our Happy Little Monkey xxxxx

Offline mini me

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • British Mummy living in Greece now back in UK!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 13:15:29 pm »
Hi :)

Have you tried full fat Philly on rice crackers? Also add philly to tomato pasta sauces. Have you done home made pizzas?
Andi

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 13:20:47 pm »
sour cream? Can use it as a veg dip or eat w/a spoon. :)

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 14:38:28 pm »
sour cream? Can use it as a veg dip or eat w/a spoon. :)

with chives, added to a baked potato. Yum.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 15:47:42 pm »
Homemade pizza is our fail-safe here for cheese. Sometimes he'll eat a small amount of a grilled cheese sandwich. As for pieces of cheese, I'm still working on it too as it would be a great source of calcium for us, as well as protein. And an easy healthy snack or part of lunch. I did buy some co-Jack (colby-Jack) slices today - individually wrapped ones. He held one and said MMMMM and licked it but didn't take a bite. But hey, progress!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 17:42:39 pm »
dd2 won't eat cheese either, although dd1 appears to be a reincarnated mouse!  Listening in to see if you get any good suggestions - we have tried pretty much every way of getting her to eat it too, without success.

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 03:33:49 am »
well he has gotten 3 teeth in 8 days so i'm sure that's not helping the situation ::)

love all the ideas, thankyou so much. will def look into cream cheese/cottage cheese and sour cream to see what he'll accept and tolerate as hard cheese is typically more easily tolerated with dairy issues.

havent done pizzas as he cant have tomatoes due to salicylates sensitivity  :( but i could make some dodgy low sal veggie spread to put on it and then cover it in cheese.

tried a slice of edam cheese today and he sat with ds1 who was eating one too, some success in that he put it in his mouth, bit pieces off, ate a small amount but then spat most out ::)

am about to try the horrible processed cheese sticks, lol, as they are really soft and i will smear some vegemite on it first in hopes of getting him to at least put it in his mouth...

just find it so weird that he wont eat it as ds1 would eat it several times a day if i let him!

jenny, with the yoghurt i did store bought, vaalia banana toddler yoghurt was one of very few i found that is salicylate free. 1 tbs for 2 days, 2 tbs for 2 days, 4tbs for 2 days and then the tub (5tbs)

thanks again :-*

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 03:45:31 am »
I didn't see American Cheese on your list...it is very mild.  I have high hopes for grilled cheese (american) sandwhiches....keep offering! Your ds1 will eat any leftovers for now.  ;)

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 13:44:16 pm »
Yeah, edam is a pretty strong cheese (though one of my absolute favs!) :)  The fact that he even tried it is encouraging! 

You can also try pizza with olive oil instead of tomato sauce; it melts all the same.
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 13:52:47 pm »
DD over here has learned to open the fridge and find her own slices of cheese at all times of the day!!! I need to put a lock on the door to the fridge so she can't just keep helping herself. American is her fav. though. She also likes cheddar, mozzarella, cream cheese, etc. Mostly I add it to things, like cheddar on top of broccoli. So long as you measure it first and then add it to his portion (I just melt in the micro.) you should be able to measure pretty accurately.

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 14:02:23 pm »
DD isn't loving pieces of cheese either.
She will however gobble down mac and cheese like crazy.  I use a mix of cheddar, gouda, and anything else I have in the house. Both kids are guranteed to eat that.

Mostly reading along for ideas for us as well.