Author Topic: ideas to get him eating cheese please  (Read 4455 times)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: ideas to get him eating cheese please
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 14:43:05 pm »
We make pesto pizza here from time to time - we usually don't bother even with the parmesan due to our MPI, but if you're looking to get a hard cheese into him that might work. Also a wonderful sauce on its own with pasta. :)

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 19:53:11 pm »
Would shapes help?  I will, sometimes, use cookie cutters and cut shapes out of slices if cheese. What about string cheese or cheese curds?

Offline mini me

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • British Mummy living in Greece now back in UK!
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 20:10:05 pm »
Does he eat vegemite at all? I know marmite is nice mixed with cream cheese of soft cheese triangles and then spread on bread/crackers etc. Kind of disguises the taste a bit.

Just re-read you first post, and noticed you'd tried vegemite and cheese on toast, but maybe this is smoother and less chewy this way - so a different texture too as well as taste.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 20:12:36 pm by mini me »
Andi

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 03:01:30 am »
bless you ladies, thank you so much for all the ideas :-*

deb, parmessan could work, very salty so he's less likely to notice it in his food. (he has flatly refused fav meals the last two nights that have had cheese added ::) )

nwmm, loving the shapes idea, will give that a go. and will look for cheese curds too, tried stringers.

andi, he LOVES vegemite but i can only use it sparingly every couple of days as it is very high in salicylates and he is super sensitive to this, BUT i did have success with cream cheese and vegemite toast fingers today. i'm wondering if i can sneak philly spread onto a few things...

will have to see if we can get american cheese here too.

he is so wary of anything i give him now, think his cheese radar is pretty high atm so going to have to give it a break and try again soon i think. he seems to be tolerating it (in terms of dairy intolerance) but i havent gotten his intake above 10g for more than 2 days so hard to tell completely just yet. worst thing is i dont think i can rely on getting him to consume cheese on a daily basis in order to count it towards his calcium requirement. can see him needing a supplement soon :(

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 13:08:34 pm »
Spinach is fairly high in calcium, and white bread isn't bad for it as well (although that might be due to milk - I'm not sure).  Sardines are good too, and you can get orange juice which is fortified with calcium - in the UK, at least.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 14:26:46 pm »
Can get OJ fortified with calcium here as well - and I may be doing that for DS soon too! He has all but given up milk since I took his bottles away a week ago. Which is OK with me since we suspect an intolerance and are actually seeing a new holistic doctor tomorrow to determine. He seems OK with yogurt but doesn't have it everyday. OK we think with cheese but only wants it on pizza or occasional grilled cheese.

I make him "smoothies" almost daily with bananas, blueberries, avocado, apple juice and water. Wonder if another good option would be spinach, OJ, water and then which fruits?

I also will be discussing supplementation with the doctor tomorrow...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 03:11:51 am »
you know what the dairy intolerance issues i can deal with, it's just the darn salicylates intolerance is so so restrictive, it's in majority of foods at varying levels. he cant have any juice (only really really diluted pear juice), spinach is high in sals too. bok choy is meant to be lower in sals but still to high for him atm but would be great in smoothies when he can. (he is REALLY sensitive, ie. he has 5 tsp a day of moderate salicylate foods which we attempt to increase every 2 weeks, just added 1 tsp of peas last night, and of course he wont eat them so am now mixing them into his dinner ::) ). tho he can have tin salmon or sardines, wonder if i can convince him to eat those, would be good mixed with philly cheese. might have to try getting him to eat chick peas again too.

we are having some success with philly cheese, had it on a cracker this morning and spread it on his banana sandwich too.

Offline mini me

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • British Mummy living in Greece now back in UK!
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 12:25:21 pm »
That's good to read he's eating philly. I can't imagine how difficult having food intolerances must be - we just had to avoid egg for the first 18mths.

p.s. How's Hunter doing? Seems so long ago since those BC boards! :-*
Andi

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 18:49:32 pm »
needing help with cheese
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 03:26:37 am »
had to stop the philly after 4 days as got a reaction but could have been 1tsp peas (moderate salicylates) that we trialled him on too ::)

he's still eating one tub of yoghurt a day and we've managed to get him tolerating 50/50 Neocate LCP (baby) and Neocate Advanced (toddler) so he is ok for his calcium requirement for now.

i think once he's settled i'm just going to try cow's milk so at least then i know for sure whether cheese is okay or not...

for others with cheese issues, HV suggested 'havarti' cheese. it's a really soft creamy yellow cheese, mild flavour. havent tried him on it yet but that will be what i look at when we get back to this.

andi, H is fab. started 3yo kindy this year and LOVES it. and is a great big brother (well most of the time...). gosh they grow up quickly dont tho. how is artemis? (did i remember that correctly...?)  :-*

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 04:16:36 am »
Good to hear he's drinking some Neocate Advance!

We gave cheese a go. He won't eat it straight either (going to try some of these other options too soon) but will eat a little bit melted on his rice pasta. We also tried him on yogurt and the first day he ate about 6 baby tsp then the next day only one tsp. Now can't get him to try any again ::). So in both cases he tolerated the small amounts fine. I guess if we keep offering it we will see if he will up his intake and whether he can tolerate larger amounts. But there blew my theory of getting enough calcium into him without moving to Neocate Advance.

I just got our delivery of what I thought was Neocate Advance today but it turns out they sent the wrong thing (LCP, not even the plain stuff he's currently on! ::)) Does K drink his milk from a bottle or sippy? I'm trying to decide whether to do a whole cold turkey switch to 'new milk in new sippy cup' and ditch the bottles. I don't think it will work though! Also I think I remember they suggest giving Neocate Advance cold. Don't think he's going to go for that either - not a big deal, just a lot more convenient when you're out! Anyway, got probably a whole week more to think about it now while we wait for the new delivery.
Jenny - mama to

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 04:35:41 am »
jenny, so hard to do proper food trials when they wont eat enuf isnt it!! hopefully J will make the switch to advanced fine since he's on regular neocate. i'm pretty sure the reason for the taste diff is the LCP uses different oils so that it is higher in omega 3, so on the advanced i have to make sure to use more canola and sunflower oil, more salmon, etc to keep up his omega 3. yeah they suggest fridge cold for advanced but he wont touch it like that, i used to give it room temp (same reason, way more convenient!) on the LCP in a cup other than for his bedtime bottle but i started warming slightly in the cup and he is drinking more of the 50/50mix now, so go figure ::) so he has milk in cup for breaky and lunch (kept a lunch milk for calcium as uninterested in afternoon) and bedtime milk in bottle which i had hoped to ditch by now but will hang on to for calcium as he wont drink as much in a cup. maybe try J on a sippy cup at a diff time rather than a regular time (like when he'd normally have water with a snack) to see what he does first and then decided whether to go cups or bottles? my only concern would be seeing if he'll take enuf volume of milk in cups for calcium requirements.  :-*

Offline Edesanja

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 08:34:45 am »
Thanks for that.
DD made the switch from Neocate to Neocate Advance with no problems but I had to keep it warm. She wouldn't drink any significant amount from her sippy (Well until 22months when she saw her cousin used a sippy! ::)) so we kept it in a bottle. She drank it all in one go so I wasn't too worried.
I will try and give him some in a sippy at meal times. Good idea.
Jenny - mama to

Offline Edesanja

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 09:22:56 am »
Ugh I just found an email form the paediatrician in my spam folder that was sent earlier today saying he won't prescribe Neocate Advance for him at the moment. Grrr!! I am so cross!
Jenny - mama to

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 16:48:15 pm »
Oh I need to listen into this DS loved soft mozarella for a bit but is refusing it now :(
9 and 6, oh boy!