Author Topic: When and how intoduce water?  (Read 1359 times)

Offline mianita

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: March 31, 2011, 21:08:41 pm »
My DD is 5 months and one week and I'm collecting info on introducing solids. I plan to try it at 6mo.
But I couldn't find info how and when introduce water?... Could anyone please share your experience on that? She is EBF and I've never introduced a bottle. Should I try bottle or sippy cup?
TIA

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: When and how intoduce water?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 21:13:56 pm »
My two were bottle fed, but we just started giving them a free flow sippy of water with food. We did a combination of puree and finger foods from the start so it seemed a natural thing to give a drink of water with meals. They didn't drink much at first, but because we used a free flow cup they got the hang of it pretty quickly.

Laura

Offline lulunut

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 00:35:40 am »
I also introduced solids and water at the same time.  I did it in a sippy cup.  This helped the bottle sippy cup transition.  I did it around 6mts.  Unfortunately, both my kids won't take milk unless in a bottle but that will come later!!!  I have read that you shouldn't give more than 4 oz or so of water a day under 1 because it fills them up with no nutrients.

Offline Marie-O

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cute little feet
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 01:02:40 am »
Hello! I introduced water 2 weeks before starting on solids with a sippy cup. She doesn't like it yet but I insist all day long doing mimics myself with the cup and giving to her. I let her play with it and she does the funniest faces when the water comes into her mouth.
She started solids 2 weeks ago and always the cup of water is on the table, a sip before the meal and a sip after....I wish she drank more, but I guess I have to be patient.
Marie

Offline mianita

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 00:09:09 am »
Thank you ladies! So I'll try to introduce in a week or so. Will try training sippy cup first, let's see how it goes :) will give it to her after 1 hour after BF, at the time of future meals.
thanks!!

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 09:02:16 am »
I introduced water in a sippy cup about a month ago, at around 5.5 months (when we started solids).  My LO is EBF and has (almost) never taken a bottle.

I offer it to her after every meal and she like the cup - chews a lot on the spout - but doesn't seem that interested in actually drinking any water!  Usually, when the water enters her mouth, she just lets it dribble out down her front but doesn't really seem to swallow any.  She usually ends up soaking!

Does anyone know how much water LOs need at this age? 

She has a bf four times a day (we just dropped the dreamfeed) but that is it for fluids appart from the odd sip of water that manages to go down after a meal.  She seems happy and has wet nappies so I assume she's still getting enough fluids but wondered if I should be concerned that she's not really drinking much water yet..
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Marie-O

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cute little feet
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 22:57:00 pm »
Since she is EBF she doesn't need water just yet, but us too introduced water when introducing solids (5,5month) and she doesn't like it either, I've tried many different cups with no luck.....I guess she will eventually like it.
Marie

Offline mianita

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 04:25:15 am »
I tried to offer sippy cup to my DD and she just closes her mouth and turns her head away, she doesn't want even to try what is there :) will try a free flow bottle... She just don't like bottles and suck from bottles :) let's see how it goes. I also think what later I'll put some pieces of cucumber or berries into water, to make it little bit more appealing, but not so sweet as juce.

Offline lulunut

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 12:00:34 pm »
I have heard some Mom's go right to cup.  It maybe fun for her!   Not for you but it could get her interested!

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 13:25:49 pm »
 thanks mariaeodon - that's good to know she doesn't actually need any water at this stage.

I will keep offering her the cup to help her learn how to use it but not stress if she doesn't actually drink anything!
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old