Author Topic: Why stop cluster feeding at 8 weeks?  (Read 3660 times)

Offline maka

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: April 01, 2011, 16:27:44 pm »
I wonder why Tracy recommends not continuing cluster feeds past 8 weeks. Any ideas?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Why stop cluster feeding at 8 weeks?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 07:04:16 am »
I think it's bacuase by then their tummies should be big enough to take a good enough feed to last them longer on a 3 hour routine and so you can get a bedtime routine in place to fit into a 12 hour day/ night.

That said, some babies do need clustering for a bit longer so you can carry on or merge two feeds into 1. If you LO is taking less at the second cluster you can stop it and move the previous feed to 3 hours after the feed before (hope that makes sense!)

Laura

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Why stop cluster feeding at 8 weeks?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 05:16:17 am »
And to avoid the development of snacking or windy issues related to overgrazing.

Offline maka

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 02:22:03 am »
Thanks guys. He has a feed at 4:30 then 6:30 then bath and then I just feed him (whatever he takes) right before bed around 7:30 because it relaxes him. Since he doesn't take too much at 8:30 I'm going to try to stop clustering and just do another feed at 7:30 after 4:30 just need to figure out bath time because i don't think he would be able to have bath after 7:30. I may have to feed him at 7pm then have bath and then just give him whatever left in the bottle after bath right before bed. I'ts not straight forward EASY but we'll see if it works. Lately, he has been arching his back when and screaming when I'm trying to feed him after bath, not sure if that's reflux or just tiredness.