Author Topic: Milk decreasing appetite?  (Read 4794 times)

Offline Lissybits

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 60
  • My world!
Re: Milk decreasing appetite?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 04:45:41 am »
Well done! ;D Yes, that's a great start for sure!!! You'll have this sorted in no time!
 :-*

Offline Little toes

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 18:45:41 pm »
Ok, so last night was a bit better....maybe. She took 7oz, plus another 3 at BT. Then slept 4hrs. I gave her 2oz and nothing but a few sips of water til 630am. She woke at 3am, sipped water, maybe an hr or so after, sipped water. Screamed at 630 but didn't take full 7oz, instead she had 2oz, then 2oz, then 2oz spread apart til 8am. Not sure what that was about. I'm hoping things are getting better.

Dh's mom gave him the 'wonderful' idea to add flour to her milk. Don't even ask!! I need dd to get out of this habit quick before MIL keeps giving idiotic advice.

Thanks for your help!!

Offline Lissybits

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • My world!
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 20:09:29 pm »
Flour? :o :-\
Does she want you to make a white sauce?! :P

Offline Little toes

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 20:32:59 pm »
Yup, she's brilliant. Wants to cook flour with water, use it as a thickener. Sooooooooooooooo not gonna happen!!!

I'm upset that she gives dh these stupid ideas. He actually thinks it can work to fill her up, so if he adds that cr@p to her bottle I'll pretend that I used it, or she didn't want it. It's not nutritious, pointless and will not solve the problem.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 21:23:01 pm »
I'd definitely try the coconut milk route if you want to make it more filling. For a 7 ounce bottle I'd probably do 5 ounces almond milk and two ounces full fat coconut milk. But it's likely habitual as well as true hunger - you're doing great!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Little toes

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 12:56:07 pm »
 :'( >:(  So I let MIL make her concoction, I had been arguing with dh and he told me he was going to give her rice thickener. I don't know what she put in it, but dd had stomach cramps all night! Literally! She didn't fall asleep til 3am after I gave her gripe water. I yelled at dh at 2am, and of course the first thing he said was it couldn't be what MIL made. I lost it! I'm so angry at myself and upset for giving in. I was seeing improvement with dd's eating, she was eating much better during the day. And because of dh and mil, my child had the worst night. I'm so upset.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 14:23:00 pm »
{{{hugs}}}

It might be worth point out that research has shown that thickening milk does not actually help LOs sleep through the night. 

What sort of flour did she use? Or was it a rice thickener? 

I would be furious and use this as a lesson that you know best.  I would tell them both (DH and MIL) that the aim is to get more calories into her during the day and at this age you are aiming to reduce milk and get more solids into her and explain what you were planning to do with cutting the nights feeds and then reducing day time milk. 

I would also explain that to get her to stop NFs and to transfer the calories to the day requires TOTAL CONSISTENCY and by messing with your plan last night and putting pressure on you to add the flour has undid all the hard work you did the previous few nights.  It can take upto 1 week to see a transfer to taking more food in the day when cutting night feeds and now rather than being on day 3/4 you are back to square 1.  By thickening her bottle at night you are actually adding more calories to her night which is the exact opposite of what you are trying to achieve.  And now the poor wee mite is probably exhausted being up in pain during the night. 

SO sorry hun that they aren't supportive.  I'd be telling them to butt out as you are the one who deals with all the NWs and NFs so it is upto you to decide how to proceed and then they should support you. 

Offline Little toes

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 15:41:02 pm »
Thanks Shiv. I don't know how MIL is so uneducated, not sure how dh survived his childhood. It bothers me that he'll take her advice without really thinking it thru. But he has zero experience with children. So now this proved the point YET AGAIN that I know what I'm doing so leave me the f* alone!!!! I confronted MIL this morning, told her that dd was up til 3am tossing and turning with stomach pain and didn't settle til I gave her something for her stomach. But in her usual b* self, she tried to turn it around and say I only used a tbsp so there's no way her 'remedy' was the problem. I lost it. I'm so angry that she's always trying to give her opinion on how to do things, feed, etc. It's none of her business. I told her I'm going to go back to what I was doing and I threw out what she made. And yes, she left it out all night. Also brilliant of her. GGRRRR.....

So now I'm back to what I was doing.

Offline Little toes

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 15:41:44 pm »
And I should mention there's no point in trying to explain what was wrong about their plan. They just don't get it.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 16:03:09 pm »
((((HUGS)))) it's so hard. I LOVE my MIL (actually closer with her than with my own mom in some ways) but she just doesn't get food intolerances at all. We are waiting for some results back ourselves, actually and I'm suspecting a wheat intolerance and/or lactose, among other issues. We already know he reacts really badly to pumpkin/squash (hives and up all night with tummy pains), coconut (hives), pineapple (discomfort) and other unknown items. Certain pizzas make him up all night with an upset tummy but others are OK. She doesn't get it. AT ALL. It's a bit easier for her with my niece since she has an anaphylactic reaction to nuts and she "gets" that more, even though she is totally confused by the whole "made in a factory with."

My DH is also a bit clueless this way. Until he has concrete evidence, he has a really hard time admitting a reaction. So even still he tries to argue the pizza reaction, even though it's happened a few times in a row from the same place. At first he'd say it must have been from teething or something else. He's starting to come around, though if we have to go gluten free or something like that (won't know for 2 more weeks probably) he will have a VERY hard time with it.

Anyway, stick to your guns and tell them you appreciate their thoughts but you are doing this a different way. IF you want to up the calories and good fats in her liquids I'd definitely go with adding some coconut milk to her almond milk but that's up to you. But at least that's a natural good source of real calories as opposed to an empty and often hard to digest filler.

More HUGS!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 23:07:05 pm »
How was last night lovely?

Offline Little toes

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 02:57:58 am »
Anyway, stick to your guns and tell them you appreciate their thoughts but you are doing this a different way. IF you want to up the calories and good fats in her liquids I'd definitely go with adding some coconut milk to her almond milk but that's up to you.

I went back to what I was doing and we're back on track. I also picked up hemp and coconut milk, have been adding it to her almond milk. I see a lot of improvement with her daytime eating, she's got a much better appetite. She still has 7oz at BT, then another feed of 3oz a three or four hrs later. But then nothing until the morning except a few sips of water. I'm thinking of continuing this for another week or two, then maybe trying to cut that midnight bottle?? Tho I'm not sure how that's gonna go cuz she's actually hungry when she takes it. But maybe her eating will continue to improve so it won't be as hard to take out that lingering DF.

And about MIL's concoction - dh now gets it, he understand that it was definately that which gave her stomach cramps. So no more of their cr@p.

When will the water sipping dissapear? Last night she only sipped once, not twice as she's been doing. Will that go away on it's own or will I have to cut it out?

Thanks everyone for all the help!!! Nights are a lot better now.  :)