Author Topic: Vegetarian bfing a dairy/soy free baby - any one else out there?  (Read 1074 times)

Offline sjworthington

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0

Just wondering if there are any other vegetarian's out there breastfeeding dairy/soy (or any other) intolerant children. 
Dairy and soy used to be such important parts of my diet before DD2 came along and now I'm really struggling to fill the gap - especially for tofu etc. 

What are you using to replace your soy protein?  There's only so many beans and lentils I can eat before I turn into one!!!

Have you come across any good recipe books or websites?  I'm in NZ and the availability of commercially made products is fairly limited and many of the cook books I've found use products that aren't available here. 

Good luck and happy veggie eating! 
Sarah :)

Offline newmummy82

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Re: Vegetarian bfing a dairy/soy free baby - any one else out there?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 19:29:03 pm »
Yes!
The answer being
.... eat lots of beans and lentils (esp chickpeas which are high in calcium)
..... dried fruit also high in Ca
...... coconut milk in everything (makes nice rice pudding, good in curry etc)
..... fortified oat/rice milk does ok on cereal/in coffee etc
...... I resorted to eating fish to make the difference up TBH

V tricky!

Good luck!
Ruth

Offline sjworthington

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Vegetarian bfing a dairy/soy free baby - any one else out there?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 01:57:51 am »
Hi Ruth,

Great to hear from you!  I knew I couldn't be the only one out there going through this - although there are days when I feel like it!!! 

I hadn't thought of adding coconut milk to rice pudding, that would be good.  We're already using it quite a bit in curry but without the tofu it just doesn't hit the spot.   

I'm trying all sorts of lentil and chickpea recipes but at the moment they all seem to taste the same.  Will have to get more creative I think.

All the best
Sarah :)