Author Topic: Do you think bumpy skin is a dairy reaction?  (Read 8292 times)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Do you think bumpy skin is a dairy reaction?
« on: April 06, 2011, 19:39:06 pm »
F's skin has gotten sort of bad lately.  Well, it doesn't look bad, I mean no one would notice.  But I notice that he is pretty much bumpy all over, like really tiny little bumps.  They are not red at all, like I said you can't see them.  I can feel them and see them when I look really close.  They are pretty much all over, even his face.  The only thing I am wondering is if this is still somehow related to dairy intolerance, or any intolerance for that matter.  I have been eating dairy for about 3mos, and he eats some cheese and occasionally yogurt.  He hasn't had any other indications of intolerance in all the time since I've started eating it, but I've heard some people say that symptoms can change but the intolerance isn't necessarily gone.  He is not gassy, poops are fine.  What do you think?
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: Do you think bumpy skin is a dairy reaction?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 01:16:08 am »
Where are the bumps exactly Martina?  You said face? Are they red or the same as his skin colour?  Are the mostly on the backs of his arms? 

The reason I ask is that I asked the same question a few weeks ago to my naturopath  as K started on yoghurt and goat milk, and she gave me some useful info.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 01:26:01 am »
Thanks Eloise

Pretty much his whole body feels rough and bumpy.  It is definitely worse on his arms and thighs.  The only area where it is a bit red is on his face.  It doesn't look that bad, most people wouldn't notice it, but I do.

DH had something similar awhile ago and his ND said it was called keratosis pilaris.  That does seem to fit the bill.

I can't help but think that something he is eating is contributing in some way.  Thing is I don't necessarily feel like I want to go cutting dairy out when he has been ok on it.  But I am thinking of cutting back, both for him and me.  Maybe we've just been overdoing it, yk?

I've been eating a lot of ice cream lately (craving it like crazy!).  Thinking of trying to stop that habit as it's getting out of hand.  :-[  He himself eats very little dairy.  He is picky to begin with.  But lately he has really started liking cheese, and his diet is so limited that I offer it a lot because I keep running out of options for him.  So I'm wondering if I should stop the cheese for him?

I was thinking of maybe taking him to the ND soon too.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 01:35:58 am »
keratosis pilaris

Masyn has this, on her upper arms and thighs...the ped we saw ages ago for something else had mentioned that people with it are more likely to have ezcema (which she did as a baby, and gets in the winter still) Apparently it can be on any part of the body except your palms and the soles of your feet. 
Heidi

Offline OFIH

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 02:23:15 am »
It is very common for children that show signs of Keratosis Pilaris to have the type of bumps you are describing. The biggest creators of KP are dairy and gluten. So it's very possible it's something she's eating. There are creams you can use, keeping the skin very moisturized, and checking with your doctor are the first steps I would do. KP usually is not a huge deal, often not even itching. But there are kinds that are worse than others, so you want to make the best and most sound decisions. Our younger son has KP and has to be off all gluten, casein, soy, corn, nuts, and most oils due to intolerances, allergies, and processing disorders. If he has a contamination of dairy or gluten, BAM! His cheeks, backs of his bicep area, top of his legs, and his eyebrows flare. He has the more uncommon type of KP.

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 02:29:10 am »
listening in
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline EloysH

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 02:48:09 am »
ok this is direct quote from my naturopath: 

"If its feels and looks a bit like goose pimples that don’t go away on the backs of the top of the arms, sides of thighs, buttocks and sometimes abdomen?) can sometimes be due do a need for more vitamin A and/or essential fatty acids"

I think the foods you need to eat are egg yolks and butter to counteract this.  Mix egg yoolks into his cooked foods or into a smoothy.  Don't be afrriad to fry his steamed veges is butter. Other oils just won't do, they don't have the  nutritional properties that real butter does. 

I am not sure if it relates to keratosis pilarus - I have sent her an email to ask about it... will let you know if I get a reply!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 11:18:08 am »
Thanks everyone!  This is all good info that I've already read about so I'm feeling better about it now.  We went out and bought some vitamin E cream, and Elo we had read about needing more EFA's etc so will work on that as well.  It's hard with his eating because I CANNOT feed him anything, he has to do it himself, at atm he's not big on drinking anything out of a cup either.  So I keep trying to get all his vitamins and supplements in him through a smoothie, but he won't drink it!   ::)  He is a tricky one.  :P

Let me know what your ND says....

It's not bothering him.  I think it's been bothering me more because he doesn't have that soft, smooth baby skin anymore!  ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 11:24:50 am »
I'm listening too...

Martina have you tried a straw?

DS loves them

x

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 11:32:21 am »
I have straw cups but not straw sippys.  That is on my list of things to try, was thinking about it as I typed my last post!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 11:57:52 am »
listening in...DD1 has had this for months, arms and legs are quite bad but doesn't bother her in the slightest. Dr did prescribe cream but it doesn't help much xx
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 11:59:17 am »
let us know how you get on...also I found this really deep spoon that DS can use to feed himself with hardly any spillage...I will try to find the brand name for you...if that works you could make a smoothie that is more solid like a yoghurt and maybe he can get it in himself?

Offline teilvnav

• Showing Appreciation 90
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 13:18:48 pm »
Also listening in... DS has these exact bumps on the backs of his upper arms. I have been moisturizing them like mad... thought he was dry there! We only use butter and he eats several aggs a week, so I will have to look into other ways to get rid of it. It doesn't seem to bother him one bit, though.
Amy

Offline EloysH

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 17:36:48 pm »
Anthoer vitamin A food is sweet potato, it contains alot of Vitamin A (like egg yolk) but is absorbed in the prescence of a fatty acid, adn the egg yolk, otherwise the vitamins are too hard to absorb apparantly. So mash the sweetpotato, add butter and egg yolks  and bake in the oven for 15 mins or so, yum!

Will let you know if I hear anything more  :)

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 18:24:05 pm »
That sounds great Eloise going to try that! X
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race