Author Topic: Vegetarian Child...help  (Read 1730 times)

Offline OFIH

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 07, 2011, 02:19:01 am »
I have been here for about 18 months reading and ingesting on needed topics. However, I now have a question. We have two children with special needs, one of which has, since he was old enough to start baby food, declared he hates meats. He's now 5 and he hates them. He will eat a hot dog...somehow he doesn't realize it's meat. So we get him the healthiest version we can for some easy protein and fat. Other than that, he's a veggie/fruit/grain boy. He loves raw fruits and veggies as well as cooked. Today, for example, he begged me for a carrot and just ate the whole thing, raw. Great, but it's so hard. Does anyone else have experience raising a vegetarian kiddo? Milk and cheeses are fine. He likes them, a lot. Do you have any website recommends, cook books, etc?

Offline Mama2boys

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 247
Re: Vegetarian Child...help
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 02:40:15 am »
Hi,

My DS also does not like meats too much and eats them very rarely. We tend to eat a lot of lentils and beans as a protien source...we also give him eggs pretty regularly.

What about fish? DS eats shrimp andoccasionally will take some salmon. He also will sometimes eat turkey burgers....

HTH

9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline OFIH

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 02:45:41 am »
Hates fish, all fish. We do beans, rice, etc. But I am just not vegetarian creative. I have a yummy recipe for a black bean burger, but that's it for creativity. Hehehe

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 02:58:10 am »
IN the recipe section we have  athread for Indian food and some lentil bean prep's there.

I make a bean rice for DS and he love sthat with YOghurt, juts boiled chickpeas or red kidney beans tossed with olive oil and salt/spices he will take etc. also work...
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 02:58:25 am »
None of us eat meat at my house. :)  We do lots of beans and lentils but I'll admit that most days Austin gets most of his protein from dairy sources.  He has a smoothie for breakfast with full fat greek yogurt (which has a TON of protein), eats cheese and cottage cheese usually with another meal.  He also eats a ton of hummus and peanut butter.  We do do some of the processed faux-meat foods, too, like the hot dogs and veggie burgers.  We try not to do them too often but we will throw them in the mix.  To be honest, I don't worry too much about it.  With the normal toddler pickiness I find he doesn't eat a lot of what I want him to anyhow so it's not worth stressing too much about!

I'll have a look around for some recipes for you. ;)
*Kate*

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 21:11:05 pm »
Hello and welcome  :D

Do your LOs have any allergies? Although you have already got some great replies, it may be best if I move your post to the Eating for Toddlers section??

Let me know if you would like it moved

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 21:44:50 pm »
What about quinoa for protein?
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 21:47:47 pm »
What about quinoa for protein?

Oh yes, forgot we do this.  This is a great one!! :D
*Kate*

Offline OFIH

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 22:16:46 pm »
Hello and welcome  :D

Do your LOs have any allergies? Although you have already got some great replies, it may be best if I move your post to the Eating for Toddlers section??

Let me know if you would like it moved

Sorry, yes. Our 3 year  has many allergies, intolerances, and processing disorders. Riht now we know he can't have dairy at all, not even casein period. No gluten, soy, corn, nuts, and only small bis of olive oil (no other oils). Our older son has no allergies, just the desire for vegetarian diets. Our younger son is starying to eat like his brother, but I an still get a FE meats into him.