Author Topic: How to get him to stop putting so much food in at once!  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 444
How to get him to stop putting so much food in at once!
« on: April 08, 2011, 15:42:49 pm »
Yes he will cram it in there, no matter how small the pieces we cut (and that's if he even lets us cut the pieces) he will just shove and end up choking quite frequently.  And then there's the lovely watching him smush up great gobs of food in his mouth at the table.  See food anyone?  I now enforce that we don't put too much on his plate at once.

Any other tips?  I doubt there's anything we haven't thought of but I need to check  ::)
The tweaking never stops!

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: How to get him to stop putting so much food in at once!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 15:53:48 pm »
Alex does this ALL the time  ::)
If you find a way to stop him, let me know!
xx
]

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 15:56:06 pm »
lol yeah it's these boys isn't it

He also will ask for more food when there is plenty on his plate, he hates when you sneak some of his food because you know he isn't going to eat it all and he always wants what is on our plate even if the same thing is already on his plate

*sigh*
The tweaking never stops!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 16:02:50 pm »
Last weekend I had the joy of cleaning up a very large barf all over the floor from DS deciding to shove his ENTIRE lunch, ALL OF IT into his mouth AT ONCE.   :-X  (do we have a make me sick smiley?  :P )  He was making that horrid wretchy sound in the back of his throat and gagging violently but still would not spit it out.  Probably because I had my hand there and was shouting 'SPIT IT OUT!'  ::) so he was determined to keep it in.   So when he did spit it out, into my hand, and the barf came out right behind it, into my hand, I was really pleased.

I know, it's all gross, and not what you wanted to read but I feel that sharing the memory might help me get over the trauma of it a bit  :P

But you know what?   :P :P  He hasn't stuffed his mouth full since  ;D ;D He keeps taking little bites and saying 'no too much in my mouth!'

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 16:41:52 pm »
Colin has done it since he started solids, and still does it at 5.5.  ::)
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline teilvnav

• Showing Appreciation 90
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 16:47:16 pm »
Sometimes when it is something that I know he will choke on (ie: an orange segment), I just only give him a little piece at a time. He can have another bite when his mouth is empty. Yeah, it's micromanaging... but I'd rather that than have to clean up puke when he is not sick!

I am *hoping* that as he gets older this will be less of an issue. So far... he just crams it all in there.
Amy

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 16:55:30 pm »
When DS actually decides to eat, he does this too. He will only eat things like bagel, waffle, etc in large pieces. So I can't cut the waffle up - just toast it (I make homemade multigrain ones and freeze them), put butter on it and hand it to him. He starts out taking bites but eventually shoves a LOT of it in at once. Same with many other foods. For foods that he does allow me to cut (pizza, etc) or things like pasta/meat sauce I try not to put more than 2-3 bites on his tray at a time and he'll just keep shoving them in without chewing and swallowing.

My DD never did this so maybe it's more a boy thing?!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 19:20:29 pm »
Quote (selected)
He also will ask for more food when there is plenty on his plate, he hates when you sneak some of his food because you know he isn't going to eat it all and he always wants what is on our plate even if the same thing is already on his plate

Omg they are the same boy, seriously  :P
]