Author Topic: What do you "do" with your LOs in the heat? Dressing/covering up etc  (Read 4755 times)

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
Just booked a hot holiday in June, cannot wait  ;D It will be 28+ degrees  8)

However now freaking about the girls in the sun  ::)

Obviously I will put suncream on them (I have an organic one from the health food shop but am looking into the "safest" one I can lay my hands on)

How much sun can I let them be exposed to?? I am thinking we should try and avoid 11-4 times, right? But that may not be possible every day  :-\

And if I put them in long sleeves and trousers to cover their skin I'm worried about them getting too hot, but then is that the lesser of 2 evils compared with exposing their skin with suncream on?? DD2 won't keep a hat on either  ::)

Urgh wish I wasn't so worried about this, I really want to enjoy the holiday!!
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: What do you "do" with your LOs in the heat? Dressing/covering up etc
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 11:33:16 am »
I just use sunscreen and set us up in a shady place  :). I also had shade covers for the buggy.

If they are playing then make sure all snacks, meals, drinks etc are in the shade.

Put the umbrella up where they are playing in sand.

I found my 2 were more than happy to stay in the shady bits anyway, and with naps, meals etc they were never exposed too much anyway iyswim?

Offline Roseii

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 11:38:06 am »
Thanks Liz :-* So what about swimming? Just limit it to short times? I am going to buy them those UV protective wetsuits...

An umbrella in the sand is a good idea although DD1 won't want to stay still ::) SIL is lending me a pop-up beach tent that DD2 can sit in...

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 11:40:15 am »
Just take her shoes off so that she won't want to run about on the hot sand  ;).

Kids tire very quickly in the heat as well.

I just kept swimming very limited and my 2 were fine with that.

Offline Roseii

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 11:52:34 am »
Haha good plan. Erm, did you take an umbrella away with you?! Sorry to be thick!! Or did you hire one on the beach?
We were only going to take one buggy but that's a good point about them tiring in the heat, I'm thinking we should take 2...Don't want to take the double, it's such a cumbersome thing ::)

Offline sianie

• Showing Appreciation 101
  • My little monkeys....
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 12:54:52 pm »
Charli, those sun-suits you can buy with SPF protection in are great.

We live near the beach so my LO's are out in the sun a lot in good weather & these suits have been fab! You can also get matching hats also with SPF & they usually have flaps on them to cover the back of the neck.

You still need cream for faces, arms & legs but most suits I've seen cover the body to knees & elbows & LO's can also swim in them.

Have fun!  :)
Sian

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 13:05:05 pm »
We were only going to take one buggy but that's a good point about them tiring in the heat, I'm thinking we should take 2...Don't want to take the double, it's such a cumbersome thing

We're just back from holiday and I borrowed a double buggy and I wasn't sure if we'd need it.  But we couldn't have been without it.  Maeve slept in it every day.  It was hot too so she couldn't be bothered walking in the heat.  It meant one of us could push the buggy and the other one of us was free to hold hands with Maeve if she wanted to walk rather than both having a buggy to push and trying to supervise her walking.  I had originally been going take two buggies but this was the reasoning behind taking the double instead.  But regardless of a double or 2 single buggies it is definately worth having one for DD1!

Offline Roseii

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 13:12:38 pm »
Thanks Sianie-I have seen some really cute ones with matching hats on the Debenhams website, think this hol is going to cost me a lot before we even go :P

Shiv it's funny you say that because after I wrote it I kept thinking about it and how the airport would be a nightmare with DD1 walking, and also we wouldn't be able to push 2 buggies and a trolley for the luggage!! Not to mention any outings we do-so we have decided to take the double buggy afterall :) Now I'm looking for a double sunshade, they're £40 new  :o Spending my working day browsing ebay now  :P

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 13:20:12 pm »
Shiv it's funny you say that because after I wrote it I kept thinking about it and how the airport would be a nightmare with DD1 walking, and also we wouldn't be able to push 2 buggies and a trolley for the luggage!! Not to mention any outings we do-so we have decided to take the double buggy afterall :) Now I'm looking for a double sunshade, they're £40 new  :o Spending my working day browsing ebay now  :P

HUrray for work!  Yeah I forgot about the airport.   I pushed the double buggy and DH dealt with the luggage.  WOuld have been a nightmare any other way. 

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 13:20:24 pm »
I'm even going to take my P&Ts to Ireland now...and Oscar is 5!!!

I use the back seat for hand luggage and the front for whoever doesn't want to walk. We have a 4am start on the only direct flight back (flight before 7am) so usually on the return journey my 22 kg and 118cm 5 yr old goes as "oversize" luggage in the front seat of the P&Ts!

As for hot weather...light colours with long sleeves are good as well, when not on the beach.

Hats with the neck covering for sure.

We get summers here way over 30 usually (sooooo looking forward to it after a LOOOONG winter) and wear one light layer, long sleeves where possible and good hats....

I haven't been on a hot beach holiday since Emma was your DD2s age though - if she's still not very active it won't be too difficult for you or her. Oscar was 3.5 at the time and loved every minute, especially the fact that the sea (Red Sea) is hot enough to swim in, unlike the Irish Sea or the Baltic!!!

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 13:21:34 pm »
We went to the beach for a week last year and we bought DD those cover ups for over her bathing suit (I had lost the one she had that had the shirt for extra coverage...so I already bought one for this year. Am looking for one that comes with shorts but haven't seen any yet) We also got her a hat. Sunglasses are helpful. Of course sunscreen etc. We even got her one she could put on her lips herself in a stick so she liked applying it.

We had an umbrella but this kid would NOT stay near our spot. She did run all over, barefoot or not! We chased and chased and chased her. But she wouldn't nap at the beach so we did bring her back midday for her nap every day to the house we stayed in and that kept her out of the harshest sun. You can always decide lunch is back indoors or under the umbrella or some such as a rule to keep out of it when it's at that high midday point.

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 13:21:50 pm »
By double sunshade would something like this work?
http://www.rossmann.de/qualitaetsmarken/alle-marken/artikeldetails/rqm/Product/show/sonnen-segel.html

Not sure what kind of buggy you have though and if you could just fix two of them for the double?. But This worked well for us (before that I used a towel with two large hair clips, very ghetto!)

Let me know if you want me to send you one, they are only about 3 euro I think!

Offline Roseii

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 13:28:13 pm »
Shivi I think that's very wise!!

As for hot weather...light colours with long sleeves are good as well, when not on the beach.
This is exactly what I'm on the lookout for clothes-wise, have trawled Debenhams and Next websites with no luck though :-\ Lots of cotton but I'd like that sort of floaty/linen-y material iykwim?! Floaty long sleeved tops ideally...

I haven't been on a hot beach holiday since Emma was your DD2s age though - if she's still not very active it won't be too difficult for you or her. Oscar was 3.5 at the time and loved every minute, especially the fact that the sea (Red Sea) is hot enough to swim in, unlike the Irish Sea or the Baltic!!!

Well DD2 is still stationery :) Think it's a bit much to hope that she will be in 3m though ::) But she's such a good baby, she likes sitting peacefully with her toys :)

Offline Roseii

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 13:33:08 pm »
We even got her one she could put on her lips herself in a stick so she liked applying it.

Oh DD1 would LOVE this-what a great idea :)

We had an umbrella but this kid would NOT stay near our spot. She did run all over, barefoot or not! We chased and chased and chased her. But she wouldn't nap at the beach so we did bring her back midday for her nap every day to the house we stayed in and that kept her out of the harshest sun. You can always decide lunch is back indoors or under the umbrella or some such as a rule to keep out of it when it's at that high midday point.

I *think* DD1 is getting to that age where she's not so interested in running away for the sake of it, yk? Not so long ago I wouldn't dare go anywhere with her walking but now I kinda trust her :P Lunch back indoors makes sense, we will be self catering. There's no way she would lie down at the beach and sleep but maybe in the buggy walking back to the apartment...That's my hope!!

Mashi thanks :) I'm looking at a UV protective sunshade that covers the whole buggy, not just a canopy iykwim. I've got a side-by-side Maclaren, looks like http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Outlook-Double-Shade-A-Babe_W0QQitemZ160572192846QQcategoryZ116554QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8403319685720380993 will be my best option...Thanks so much for the offer though. x

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 13:37:08 pm »
I WISH I could trust DD to walk places with us and not run off! It's not even just for the sake of it. It's literally that things catch her eye and she just says to herself (or I at least imagine she does) "OOOOOOOOH! What's THAT? I just HAVE to go see it...NOW!" and off she runs. I anticipate her being much of the same this summer at nearly 3 when we go down again. So it was hard to keep her out of the sun as a result, but she sure had a blast!