Author Topic: Oxalates?  (Read 1156 times)

Offline ~Jen~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Oxalates?
« on: April 08, 2011, 22:03:57 pm »
Hi, Was just wondering if anyone knows anything about oxalates and/or sensitivities to oxalates?  I've been doing a bit of reading on the topic after realizing most of the foods that I am left eating on my low chem ED are very high in oxalates.  DD seems to still be reacting to something and not sure if this could be contributing... thanks!

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: Oxalates?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 10:12:21 am »
That would be known as a potato intolerance?  I do know that it is rarer, but definantly have heard of it.   Sorry don't know much more, or how you would decide to cut oxalates as you would be left with "not much" on your menu. 

A good question for a dietician.  I am thinking that a very experienced naturopath could help you here too. By far the best advice , most knowledgable on food intolerances and diet and most trusted of my resources is my naturopath.  We have a paed, GP, paed allergist, paed dietician and the naturopath  ::).

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 21:35:00 pm »
If oxalates had to go, there would be next to nothing left!  I only stumbled on the idea when I started looking at the foods that are left on my diet. She always had her worst reactions late morning and late afternoon - I eat millet for breakfast everyday and I eat potatoes either sweet or white for lunch which are both high oxalates and then there is the quinoa which is very high oxalate and she definitely has reacted to that which is really making me question whether she might have an issue.  You do make a good point about eating too many servings of mod sals which could also be the problem.  So I've temporarily cut them out to just see if it makes a difference and I have definitely seen a huge improvement in a few days. Again it could be that I've cut back on the mod sals in the process and that has helped... but maybe it is the oxalates causing trouble too  :-\

So for now I am cutting quite a bit for a few days to get a solid baseline.  Then I am planning to try a high oxalate, low sal food after 3 days of no symptoms and see what happens. I think it is the only way I will know what I am dealing with.  What do you think?

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 10:13:01 am »
If you are saying that your will do an oxalate challenge, as the first one after hitting baselines, I think the plan you have will work so long as your baseline includes low oxalate. Oxalates may take a while to get out of system though, I really don't know.   If you are not eating low oxalate at the moment but low everything else, personally, I would just eat the low chemical diet and see if you get to a baseline with the oxalate in.  There must be a good reason that the RPAH diet doesn't consider oxalates as part of the foods to be avoided.  If you really can't get to a baseline in 2 more weeks then cut the oxalates down to lows and see what happens.