Author Topic: sample weekly food menu for 7-8mo  (Read 1660 times)

Offline pixelbox

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 14, 2011, 02:43:47 am »
Hi,
Can I please see samples of weekly menus for your 7-8mo LOs? My DS is 7.5mo and he started on solid food shortly after he turned 6mo. Since starting solid, his BM would sometimes be quite solid (sorry for the TMI). A lot of food seems to cause this change in his BM (including apples, avocado, banana). I'm always afraid that he would be constipated. As a result, he's having pears almost everyday. I just want to see what sort of menu you set for your LOs.

Thank you

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 06:32:42 am »
I remembered posting this when my LO was starting out but it took me ages to find the post!

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=146478.0

Hope that helps a bit!

Offline greenteamomma

• Showing Appreciation 4
Re: sample weekly food menu for 7-8mo
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 17:08:01 pm »
apples and bananas sometimes cause constipation. When a kid is sick, we do the BRAT diet ( banana, rice, apple, toast) to get things the right "texture" from being "runny" (TMI?).  So avoid those or add some pureed prunes to cereal etc.

Offline pixelbox

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 07:05:09 am »
Thanks Mashi for the post. That's really helpful.

I find that apples, bananas and avocado cause mild constipation. I bought some nectarines and plums but they are so sour so I ate them myself as my LO could not handle the sour taste. I find that I'm feeding DS the same food almost everyday. How many different food does your LO eat at 7mo?

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:58:14 am »
At 7 months, my DS was not on many new foods. We started soilds at 6 months and followed the 3-day rule, sometimes 4-5 days, plus continually offering the old foods as well, so my guess is that he probably had 8-10 foods at 7 to 7.5 months.

Bananas do tend to cause constipation if they are unripe. The browner and thinner the skins are the less constipating they are.  I only tended to give him a quarter of a ripe banana every few days at the most. 

If you bake your fruits, like necatrines and plums (also apples, peaches, pears, apricots...) , they are softer, sweeter and so much tastier.  I cut them in half longways, pried the pit out (if I could not get it out raw then it will come out when cooked), put open side down in a baking dish in say 1-2 cm of water, and pop in the oven (never paid much attention to temp, maybe 180 - 200 degrees I guess) for 30-45 minutes, until the skins are all wrinkled.  When you take them out of the oven scoop them out of the dish and let them cool on a plate (ie not in the cooking water) and when cool just slide the skins off. They don't need to be pureed then as they are just soft and mushy already. I would freeze them in portions or put a few in the fridge and mixed them in cominations, added about an inch of mushed banana to sweeten if needed, too.  I still do this (my DS is nearly 3!) and add to plain yogurt to sweeten it up!

Offline jones381

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my little monsters
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 14:19:50 pm »
Re: the BRAT diet reply, our pediatrician just advised us not to use the B.R.A.T. diet. She said it is lacking in nutrients and has been discredited. With everything else she is very informed and up to date with current research so we trust her on this one. The reason it came up was that we had followed it over the Christmas holidays with our son who had a wicked stomach bug for 3 weeks. We were travelling at the time and went to a walk-in clinic which is where we first heard about the diet and were told to follow it by a doctor my mother recommended but who is very old school (which I usually like & appreciate!). We followed it but it didn't make a difference for our little guy (and his poor bum!). Anyhoo, I'm no expert but thought I'd pass along the info I have been given. Good luck.

Also, thanks for posting this re: a 7-8 mo old diet because I'm looking for ideas for my little girl who is nearly 9 mos but was SLOW to warm up to solids. I mean S-L-O-W! Very stubborn tongue thrust reflex! We've finally turned a corner and I'm trying to figure out what to give her next.

Good luck with your little one!

Offline greenteamomma

• Showing Appreciation 4
Re: sample weekly food menu for 7-8mo
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 17:39:18 pm »
Just to clarify, my comment was also to avoid using the BRAT diet.  It was in response to her LO having constipation and the BRAT diet was used as an example to remember the foods to avoid.  I should have been more clear in my post.