Author Topic: Iron  (Read 3840 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Iron
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 11:50:50 am »
I bought some blackstrap molasses yesterday afternoon and added it to a fruit shake for him this morning. I used 6 ounces apple juice, 12 ounces water, 7-8 strawberries, one banana and an avocado and then added 1 tbsp the blackstrap to that and blended. Will give him half the shake today, half tomorrow. I find it to be a strong taste but this way the fruit and all really masks it so hopefully he drinks it all down!

KM - he already does well with some fruit purees hidden in things and with Ella's kitchen or Plum Baby puree pouches too and unfortunately doesn't do scrambled egg. SOMETIMES he does challah french toast so next time I make that I'll use double egg yolk. He doesn't drink milk (went off it when we took his bottle away a few weeks ago) but I can't imagine he'd now go for it in porridge. But thanks for the idea!

Wendy - sorry to hijack your post. How are things going?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 13:10:02 pm »
Oh sorry to hear his iron stores are low.  :(  Let us know how it goes.  

From your other post- Spaghetti squash is on for 89 cents a pound at Superstore this week btw.

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 13:21:41 pm »
Eeek Superstore.  I LOVE Superstore but it's a) too big and b) too busy for us to do our regular shopping.  We've got Freshco now and Metro if we have any 'designer' needs.  But that's good to know, Superstore does seem to have everything.

Things are fine here, he's eating 'ok'.  Yesterday we did cheesy eggs for the whole family with a side of OJ lol. It was like breakfast for dinner.  I may still consider getting him tested.  

Karen it's not hijacking hon, I was just putting out a general question to the collective - everyone is welcome to jump on board.  We are but all on the same train!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 13:23:39 pm by *Wendy* »
The tweaking never stops!

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 15:53:38 pm »
Freshco and Metro also have them, they are with all the other squash.  Just thought I mention they were on sale at Stuperstore (DS calls it that) this week, they are not a specialty item.

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 20:30:00 pm »
DS loves humous and pitta bread which has some iron in if you can tempt him.

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 12:09:26 pm »
No spaghetti squash at Metro.  Not even a spot for it.  They have butternut, buttercup, and acorn.  None at Freshco either, don't think they even have squash or I just shopped too late in the weekend :-(. We'll have to go to Stuperstore (tell N I love it!) and just for one thing.

Eating healthy is a hassle lol

Can I hire a chef and personal grocery shopper??!

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 12:18:51 pm »
We use little blocks of frozen chopped spinach and I just throw them in so many foods - cheese sauces, spag bol, defrosted and put on pizzas with all the other toppings....anything really.  I like the way it's not noticeable, so we eat it several times a week but without it being something we get sick of!
Claire x

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 00:41:10 am »
Went to another Freshco and found the big yellow spaghetti squash.  Also some baby spinach which the other grocery store also did not have.

Made our own pizza - Slap Chopped some spinach in.  Was lovely!  Thanks for the tip!!!

Offline Nauvoo

• Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 04:32:08 am »
Iron testing is routine for 2 year olds in the States.  Finger prick and it's that easy.  My DD is a BIG wimp and didn't even cry with the finger prick.  Her iron levels were good and she hardly ever eats veg.  My niece however never ate veg and her iron levels got so low she was hospitalized so it is definitely something I would advise checking.  My 4 year old niece was put on a vitamin with iron because she eats mac and cheese, cottage cheese, and junk food and that's it. :)  However, if you can be creative I love the ideas that have been given!!!
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 11:15:46 am »
The finger prick is not as accurate though as a real blood draw with ferritin levels checked, though it's a good screen procedure.

Yes Wendy, we do a fair amount of said pizza here. I have one for him for lunch today that has chopped spinach, mushrooms, onion, garlic and browned ground beef all pureed into the sauce. Sometimes I add shredded carrots but he generally does well enough with orange veggies in other sources (carrots in soup, sweet potato "fries", etc).
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 13:16:18 pm »
Made challah french toast this morning - for two slices I used two egg yolks (saved the whites for my breakfast), a splash of milk, some maple syrup, some vanilla extract and some pumpkin pie spice. He inhaled a whole piece and had some fruit juice smoothie with added blackstrap molasses so hopefully we are off to a good start iron-wise to the day! Supplement should be here by Friday afternoon.