Author Topic: what quantity of solids does your LO eat?  (Read 1557 times)

Offline oe

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
what quantity of solids does your LO eat?
« on: April 15, 2011, 22:26:31 pm »
owen is 7.5 months and never gives cues to when he is finished eating so I am always cutting him off but never know when... right now he is having approx 3 cubes (homemade) at each meal coupled with 2 tbsp of cereal... this seems like a lot! How much do your LO eat? he would eat more, but I don't let him as I want him to drink his bottle too.
Jacob, my little monkey - 03/19/2008
Owen, my gerber baby -  09/03/2010

scucci1979

Re: what quantity of solids does your LO eat?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 23:32:45 pm »
too funny! Alyssa doesn't know when to stop eating.  She can eat until she pukes.  :P  I give her 4tbspn of cereal in the morning and lunch and dinner usually consists of 3cubes each +1 cube of meat. I have also introduced pasta and am giving her about 2tbpsns of it.

Offline IzzyD's mom

• http://little(ruder word than poops that starts with 'sh') andgiggles.blogspot.com/
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 00:13:57 am »
DS is very clear when he has had enough... DD on the other hand must have hollow legs cos you could feed her forever! If she has eaten a full meal but something else is on offer she will find space. She also eats ANYTHING!
I would say keep an eye on his milk consumption and if he is still drinking his milk then he cant be having too much solid food. If you offer more solids and he starts to leave milk then you can always reduce the solids a bit. Much harder with DS cos I have no idea how much milk he is drinking!

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 03:11:02 am »
DD2 is also right around 7.5 mo.  She currently eats 3 meals a day of about 3-4 oz (or cubes) each meal.  No real finger foods yet except baby Mum Mums (just to keep her occupied), blueberries and small pieces of banana.  She is, however, still taking 5 bottles a day (consuming about 26-28 oz a day).  I know she is ready to drop to 4 bottles, and I am going to make that change in about a week or so. 

Offline oe

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 13:07:35 pm »
thanks so much. It looks like O is right on par with everyone else. He is having 24oz total, 4 bottles. I feel so much better. He does sometimes spit up a little but the kid won't stop eating either!!! Can your LO's pick up the finger foods? I give O cheerios but he can't pick it up himself... not very good fine motor and I wish that would improve especially with his soother... another post.
Jacob, my little monkey - 03/19/2008
Owen, my gerber baby -  09/03/2010

Offline IzzyD's mom

• http://little(ruder word than poops that starts with 'sh') andgiggles.blogspot.com/
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 22:06:49 pm »
I give my LO the huge round rice cakes they make here- much bigger to hold on to. Cheerios are a little small and fiddly. Soft fruits are also a good option but BLW can get messy- I think there are lots of finger food ideas on here though.

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 02:32:34 am »
No, my 7.5 mo can't pick up foods yet, although she is closer this week than she was last week :)

She kind of smashes her hand on top of things and puts the entire fist in her mouth.  Of course, the food is stuck in her fist and she can't get it out.  For the time being, I just place things on her mouth so we can work on the chewing and swallowing part. 

I am sure they will figure it out in a couple of weeks.

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 18:20:23 pm »
DS will be 8 months in 3 days.  He's already good with toast fingers, small rice cakes & carrot sticks but really struggles with soft fruit like banana or melon as its slippery.  In the last week I've noticed he is really developing his pincer grip & has been able to pick up some smaller pieces of food, so for tea today I steamed some tiny pieces of cauliflower, broccoli & carrot for him & he absolutely LOVED it!!!!

He's been a bit funny about me spoon feeding him in the last few days & I've not been sure if its because he's teething ATM (5 coming all at once) or because I made his purees a little more textured & he doesn't like it, or because he just wants to feed himself.

As for quantity, he has 2tbsp readybrek or 1/2 weetabix plus 1 cube fruit puree for breakfast, then 3-4cubes of homemade food like chicken/beef/lentils/pasta with veggies for lunch & tea followed by a small dessert of fruit puree/jelly (we are on a dairy free trial so no more yoghurt  :()  He sometimes has a rice cake/carrot stick as a snack.  He too is a bottomless pit & will keep eating until I stop him.  Plus he had been guzzling around 30oz of milk a day though in the past couple of weeks its been ranging from 20oz-28oz which I think is due to teething.

Its really hard to know if they are eating too much or not enough isn't it?  Esp when they keep opening their mouths for more!!!! ;D