Author Topic: when do I drop a bedtime feed for 13m  (Read 1504 times)

Offline 3rd times a charm!

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
when do I drop a bedtime feed for 13m
« on: April 16, 2011, 04:10:43 am »
My LO will be 13m soon, and is on a sippy breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But doe not drink a lot from it. We have still been giving him a nighttime/bedtime bottle, Our ped told us to drop the bottle, only use sipp npw, but when we tried, he drinks two sips and is done, then I fell horrible and think he will wake up at night hungry so I pour into a bottle and he of course drinks all 7oz! When do you drop the bedtime milk, and how do I transition to sippy at night when he LOVES his night bottle so much? His dinner is at 5-5:30, with a small amount of milk, the 8pm his noght bottle, then bed.

Offline brenda2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 227
Re: when do I drop a bedtime feed for 13m
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 04:48:05 am »
we switched bedtime milk into a sippy for dd1 at 24 mo, dd2 is almost 23 mo and is still having a bedtime bottle.  i tried about 2 mo ago to switch her onto a sippy but then she was teething and cranky, not eating and waking up at night hungry (ieactually saying "i'm hungry mommy, want bottle" at 2 am) so i gave her back the bottle.  i am going to try again to switch the bedtime milk to a sippy when the teeth are through.
dd1 is 3.5 and still has milk in a sippy after dinner (but not right before bed)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 06:46:33 am »
My DS dropped his bedtime bottle just after he turned 2.5 and DD has switched from a bottle to a sippy about a month ago. The issue with bedtime bottles is the teeth, but as long as they drink it quickly and you clean their teeth after the milk before they go to sleep it's not a problem.

Laura

Offline fireredjewel

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 11:26:40 am »
we changed DDs bedtime routine at around 13 months to accommodate the sippy cup instead of BF - you could easily do the same with bottle. instead of bath, read, feed, cuddle, bed, we did bath, read + sippy, BF, cuddle, bed. I stopped offering the BF after 1 week of introducing sippy, and she complained twice, but we just distracted & kept offering the sippy cup of milk, with plenty of talk about being such a 'big girl' (etc!). We also changed the location of the feed; instead of BFing in her bedroom, moved it to the living room, which helped ease the transition. haven't looked back!
HTH :-) 
two beautiful girls... a heritage from the lord. psalm 127:3

Offline 3rd times a charm!

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 01:11:24 am »
Thanks Ladies!! Great advice!!

Offline AngelaF

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 01:36:26 am »
We just dropped nighttime bottle this week. DS has suddenly increased his intake by a lot so while he would eat a little bit from the bottle at bedtime, I felt like it was more of a habit than he needed it, you know? So it just kind of happened on his own. But until two week ago, he was like you were saying, just taking a few sips a day.