Author Topic: MSPI 11 months - when did you trial?  (Read 7001 times)

Offline mmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 96
MSPI 11 months - when did you trial?
« on: April 16, 2011, 19:17:54 pm »
C is 11 months and the ped keeps asking me about trialing foods.  He has suggested yogurt for dairy.  Right now I have stayed away from wheat, soy, and milk, because of issues that his brother has and suspected MSPI from birth.  He is on a HAF.  I did try eggs and he spent a day vomiting and I am a wimp and haven't gone back to them.  It was probably a virus, but too coincidental.

For those who had MSPI, when did you trial? 
Kara

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: MSPI 11 months - when did you trial?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 20:53:34 pm »
We ended up trying cows milk formula at 9 mths when I had to stop feeding suddenly, and all was just fine. At about 10 mths we tried yoghurt and cheese. I did gluten at some point as well.

She can tolerate everything in small quantities, but I do have to be careful.

Soy I have never done - but it isn't something I needed to do really as it doesn't affect what useful stuff I can give her iyswim??

Eggs I did a lot earlier - perhaps 8 mths - and they were fine.

Offline mmom

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 23:03:39 pm »
Wow Liz!  I didn't know Megan was eating everything now.  That is so great.

I really am a wimp then.  Maybe I will try some yogurt.  Isn't that supposed to be the easiest on the belly for dairy?
Kara

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 23:24:51 pm »
I think you should try yogurt, it is supposed to be the easiest.  Maybe start with that for awhile, with no rush to move on if you're not comfortable, kwim?
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline mmom

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 11:32:00 am »
Well, he ate a small amount of yogurt this morning.  I didn't have much variety available, since I eat the plain greek yogurt.  So I mixed a spoonful of that with some applesauce.  I don't think he was a fan.  lol  But we are trying it.  The kind DH eats has artificial sweetener it in, so I didn't want to give that to him.  If yogurt works out, I will have to buy some yogurt that he can eat.

So what am I looking for?  Screaming?  Loose BMs?  Ugh, dreading this part.
Kara

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 01:39:16 am »
LO is 11 1/2 mos and MSPI (blood in stools was his main symptom). We started yogurt about a month ago and he's done well with it. We're using either Greek vanilla yogurt or Stonyfield's vanilla yogurt. He loves it. No symptoms that we can tell so far. He's also had some cheese, I think that may have caused some gas, but it did with his brother too at this age (brother is not MSPI) because he ate a lot of it... DH didn't want to stop right off because LO liked it so much... ;-|

Have not tried soy yet and it is still out of my diet, although I am not being quite as crazy about checking for soy lecithen when eating out.

Just looking for blood in the stools or anything really unusual here.

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 05:03:34 am »
I would look for major changes as well - reflux, bad sleep, diarrhoea, blood, tummy ache.

But if mild then keep trying for 3 days as they sometimes adjust to it iyswim?

Megans nappies went a bit loose and green when we first used formula, but no blood or mucous, and it was easier to keep trying that have a neocate war with a 9 mth old when I wasn't sure.

I doubt I would have been so brave in other circumstances. But I'm glad I was  :).

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 10:59:55 am »
ITA with everyone and think yogurt is a good first thing to try too. My DS wasn't a fan of Greek yogurt then UNLESS I added a few drops of honey BUT I know that's not OK under a year... So until that point we did yo-baby (don't love the added sugar but DO love that it's organic and has yummy flavors). Then slowly mixed in Greek yogurt like half/half and now he does Greek yogurt with fruit puree mixed in. Good luck!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline mmom

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 11:16:47 am »
Thank you ladies.  Today we tried some Yo Baby Stonyfield.  Karen, I don't like all of the sugar either. But I wanted to see if this is a go, before I buy more expensive yogurt.

No issues yet.  We did get an EW, but that is nothing new. ::)

Liz, I think you are braver than you give yourself credit for.
Kara

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 21:47:33 pm »
MY dietion has told me NO FOOD TRIALS TILL 12 MONTHS lol but Alyssas sensitive to nearly everything We have had two bad of reactions through my milk with small amounts of things that I WLL NOT be trialing before then

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 22:10:32 pm »
we started at 9 months with a bit of yogurt and then moved to cheese on pasta and now giving him a bit of milk with cereal. for us too it was blood in poop and he seems to be tolerating it all so far.
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline mmom

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 22:28:53 pm »
Well, after 2 days of yogurt, I haven't noticed anything.  Would I yet?  When he was 1 month old, the doc only found blood in BMs via microscope.  Would I need to go that route again?
Kara

Offline LizzieN

• Showing Appreciation 143
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 23:39:31 pm »
Hey sweetie I would like to follow along.  We are dairy/soy and GF with DD and we have been GF with DS too for a month....

My doc said with DS to reintroduce the gluten slowly, so gluten once a week and then twice etc and watch for reaction (his main issues are a loose tummy and a non-specific rash).  The point is he has to be on a full glutenous diet for 6 weeks if they want to do blood tests, so we have to try at some point with him.

Wish DD we are trying to wean her reflux meds (and so far it's been successful), we are waiting for her to cut her next tooth then we will completely cut the meds, if successful then I am going to re-introduce dairy and soy through my breast milk, and later I will reintroduce gluten...That's the plan.  I have been a total wimp till now, not wanting to change anything because
a.  I'm used to our diet now (and we need low dairy, low cholesterol for DH so the diet has been good in that respect)
b.  I don't want to jinx things being good now :)

Honestly I think she will be fine, but just want to do it gradually.  I thought once I introduced dairy directly to her (presuming no reaction in my bm) then I may try her on goat cheese etc before real cheese as it tends to be milder.

As with Liz, soy is no huge deal for us either really :)  You are brave honey in so many ways!  Glad M is doing well on everything in moderation xx

Hugs to you all on your ED journeys
xx

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline mmom

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 23:49:48 pm »
Interesting Lizzie, that the doc wants a full 6 weeks.  Is that for just gluten or everything you introduce?

We don't eat a lot of soy, but it is really in so many things.  Even when I find foods for M that he can eat that are free of soy, dairy, wheat, and/or eggs, the box will say "processed in a facility that handles soy, etc."  It be would be so nice to not have to worry about these things.  But like you, I don't want to rock the boat and I already cook like this for M, so I would be used to it if I need to do it for C.
Kara

Offline LizzieN

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 01:46:55 am »
That is for the gluten blood test sweetie, you are likely to get a false negative for the blood test if you aren't on a "normal" gluten diet....they even go further to say that if suspected coeliacs you require an endoscope but I'm not keen to go down that path as DS has already had one as part of his reflux diagnosis and I would need a LOT of positive indicators to go to those lengths for diagnosis.

With all reintroduction you do need to give it quite a bit of time as the proteins can build up to a "threshold" which may cause side effects, but it is positive that things seem to be going well :) 

Good luck honey, I hope it goes well xx

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 05:27:52 am »
The official line from my dietician was to try gluten and eggs at 9 mths, then soy at 11 mths, and leave dairy until 12 mths. But when I phoned at 9 mths and explained I had to quit BFing immediately they said there was no harm in trying earlier as long as I was happy to do so.

My first dairy trial was obviously the formula.

Megan used to have a nappy full of visible blood just via BM so it really is amazing how fast they can outgrow sometimes  :).

I would think he only needs repeat stool sample if he becomes unsettled Kara.

Lizzie - Megan does need her reflux meds to tolerate this stuff (and the teething). But I think you have a good plan. We are mainly getting away with one dose of losec a day now as well, but teething is a nightmare!

Offline mmom

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 10:12:18 am »
Thank you so much ladies!

Teething is a nightmare here too Liz.  Actually, I can see why - I saw blood blisters on C's gums. No wonder he has been so cranky!
Kara

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 11:05:33 am »
Hi Kara just following along too. DD is 10m now, I am all but on a normal diet now (YAY!!) and although her BMs have got a lot harder (constipation was the reason I gave up dairy) she isn't struggling or screaming with them *touchwood.* So I am tempted to try her on dairy soon...I didn't know yoghurt was recommended to try, that's useful to know.

Liz that's amazing that M is on all those foods!! I am desperate to get DD on a more normal diet now, feels like hers is SO restricted and I'm worried it's making her fussy ::)
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline mmom

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 16:24:16 pm »
Charli, I feel like they don't know they are on a restricted diet, so it doesn't bother me from that standpoint.  Fortunately, M is so picky that it is not like he is asking me for my food.  Good luck though!

My issue is loose BMs.  They are on and off like that and I can't figure out why.  After I wrote about no change, C had an explosive BM when I got him.  This is the part I am unsure of.
Kara

Offline LizzieN

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 22:36:44 pm »
Charli, constipation was the huge issue for us with DD too, DS is the opposite, hence the GF trial.  Honestly though, the diet feels restricted to you because you can see other foods that you would normally be introducing, but your LO won't realise there is anything missing :) 

Liz, yeah teething gets a bit rough here too although it's mainly flaring her wind, as long as I ensure she has water she isn't getting too blocked now :)

For us (or DH really) it's getting the kids off the meds which is a priority, or at least trying.....personally I am not so worried about them being on it, but I need to respect DHs opinion and for him he would prefer us to be on a more limited diet and have them meds free...which is why we are trying to wean them before we do reintroductions.

Teething really does make it hard though doesn't it?

How is C going on the yogurt now Kara?

Lots of love to you all
xx

Offline mmom

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 23:07:32 pm »
He seems to be ok Lizzie.  Just loose BMs.  but as I mentioned, they have been coming and going, so it is hard to tell.  He doesn't appear to be in pain at all though.

My DH is the same with the meds.  I just want pain free kids.
Kara

Offline LizzieN

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 23:14:26 pm »
Maybe go off it for a week and watch those BMs, see if they "normalise"...you may need to only give a very little dairy for a time :)

Hugs and glad things are going ok!  Right there with you about pain free babies, I was SO anti meds with DS and it was a HUGE mistake which I seriously regret xx

Offline mmom

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 14:32:05 pm »
Well, C has gotten very refluxy and I am assuming this is from the yogurt. :(  I have been watching him swallow repeatedly and yesterday he even threw up some after swallowing for a while. Sleep seems to be getting worse too.  I am so disappointed about this.

What do I do?  Stop the yogurt and maybe try again in a month or so? 
Kara

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 14:46:33 pm »
If it were me I'd probably stop and wait 3 months before trying again. Is he on probiotics?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline mmom

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2011, 16:21:04 pm »
He is not on probiotics atm.  I ran out and since he was eating yogurt, didn't buy more.  I didn't give any yogurt this morning.   I will give it time I guess. 
Kara

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 16:31:05 pm »
I'd definitely re-start probiotics. Even if he were eating yogurt, the probiotics are not as well absorbed that way (due to the sugars). Culturelle is a GREAT one for actually surviving the digestive system and is dairy, soy and gluten free I believe.

Offline LizzieN

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 12:05:57 pm »
My kids always reflux really badly if they are getting sick...hope your LO isnt' getting unwell sweetie xx

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 12:07:14 pm »
That too - with DD being ill always made (and still does at nearly 6!) her have reflux flares. Teething did the same.

Offline mmom

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 13:59:58 pm »
The reflux seems to be subsiding a bit.  His naps are off, but that could be a result of the 2-1 and not the reflux.  I am not sure.

I am picking up a probiotic today.

I hope he isn't getting sick.  We had a lot of illness for months and I would like some peace!
Kara

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 14:23:53 pm »
Glad it seems to be subsiding... I'd try to pick up the Culturelle - pretty easy to find and our holistic doc swears it's one of the best!