Author Topic: She got out... I need a plan!!  (Read 1252 times)

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
She got out... I need a plan!!
« on: April 21, 2011, 00:44:54 am »
I'll spare you all the details, because I had a whole post written, but it was getting rather long.  :-[

C is 2.5, textbook/spirited, but mostly a touchy sleeper.  She's on a slight OT streak, having a tough time settling for naps and bedtime.  And today... she got out of her crib and walked right out into the living room after 40 min of a struggle and partial WIWO. 

I'm really hoping this was an isolated incident due partly to the OT and partly to my flubbed WIWO, as she went down fine tonight at bedtime (we did have a little chat about staying in the crib after mommy leaves :-\).  But, if not... I need to know what to do. 

Today, I ended up taking her for a drive, because I was shocked and we'd already struggled.  But, I won't do that every day, and certainly not if it happens at bedtime. 

Obviously, we are needing to get a BGB for her as we have a baby coming in about 3 mo, so we'll get that as soon as possible.  In the meantime, your thoughts and advice on the crib situation are very much appreciated.

Offline sianie

• Showing Appreciation 101
  • My little monkeys....
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 12:25:31 pm »
Hi!

It's always tricky when LO's find out that they can escape from their cots!! From a safety point of view it is generally recommended that you move them to a BGB.

Is she in a sleeping bag? Both my LO's are in them & I'm sure this helps them stay in their cots. Also, I'd put a mattress or something on the floor by her cot so that if she does get out she won't hurt herself.

What do you think?
Sian

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 12:51:05 pm »
Yikes there's like a major revolt going on with these kids getting out of their rooms lol  I'm dreading the day! Is she still getting her teeth Katie?
The tweaking never stops!

Offline katie80

Re: She got out... I need a plan!!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 14:38:23 pm »
No, she's done with her teeth.  She's just been a bit OT for a week now, and we haven't caught up.  She was asking to go back to bed at 8:30 am this morning.  :( :-\

Yes, we definitely need to move her safety-wise, just don't have an appropriate bed yet.  I didn't think she had the guts to actually pull the trigger and climb out (but she's testing me on just about everything these days).  She doesn't sleep in a bag and I'm not sure her spiritedness would let me introduce one right now. 

DH has been OOT for work, but gets back tonight, so we'll at least be getting a frame and mattress this weekend, and then can finish off the process when ready (I had hoped to make it a big deal with fun sheets and everything as she will eventually be switching rooms too, but we don't really have the time for that now).

I guess, my question is, what to I do for now until we can get a bed set up.  Like today, if she climbs out again, do I just walk her back and put her back in and tell her to go to sleep (like I would if she were in a bed)?  Or, should I just set up her mattress on the floor (which will be a disaster, I'm sure)?  The only other bed available in the house is the guest bed downstairs, and I'm pretty sure I can't get it upstairs myself with my expanding belly.  :P :-\

Offline M2M

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 15:06:39 pm »
You know what I did and it worked? After you get the big girl bed established, you have to turn her room into a big crib,lol, by putting a gate or gates up in her room to prevent her from getting out, for her safety.  Make sure everthing is safe in her bedroom, and treat it like she is still in her crib.  She may fall asleep on the floor the first few nights but it will stop.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 00:54:35 am »
Can you take the side off of her crib so she can get in and out easily (ie: more safely?) and then put a gate at the door. This way when you have the BGB set up you can use the same gate and same practices as you start in her current room?

Offline katie80

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 17:42:30 pm »
Thanks, Nicole.  I'll take a look and see if we can get it off this weekend.  We didn't buy the kit that converted the crib into a toddler bed (which looks like basically taking the side off), because it cost $50 more or something, but that would be a good solution for the time being. 

She hasn't climbed out again, but I'm not counting on her staying in there for long. :-\  Thanks everyone!!

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 22:08:37 pm »
How's it going Katie?

Offline katie80

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 13:01:52 pm »
Meh, could be better, could be worse.  She's still in there and hasn't climbed out again, but we're struggling sleep-wise (what's new, right).  Yesterday was the first day ever she didn't nap and I didn't drive her, so she was in bed, asleep at 6 pm.  Should be interesting once we actually do get the BGB.  :P ::) :P  Thanks for checking in, Wendy!

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 13:13:32 pm »
We had a no nap day yesterday too lol  We tried for 6:30 bed unfortunately that was precluded by a total Spirited spill over meltdown so he wasn't asleep until closer to 7 p.m.  What is it with these kids, have they been talking?  Next thing is F climbing out! 

Hope the transition from crib to bed goes ok...I'll be checking in as we'll be doing it soon enough too I reckon!

Offline katie80

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 16:57:12 pm »
What is it with these kids, have they been talking? 

Seriously!!  It seems like they do sometimes.  We were going along on a nice, smooth road for a few weeks and then *BAM* it just hits.  Like, 'don't get fooled, mom, I still have the upper hand', LOL.  Hopefully, F will stay put in his crib for awhile!