Author Topic: Neocate question...  (Read 1497 times)

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
Neocate question...
« on: April 16, 2011, 15:30:38 pm »
I think we have found the problem we were having with the neocate and this mysterious reaction, I dont know if this sounds like it could be right i would love some eyes on this lol

okay so she is on pure neocate and was seeming to react but not straight away

now neocate is supposta be consumed straight away and chucked ater an hour, which we do but some mornings we make it when she gets up but she doesnt want it so we leave it for 30 min and then give it here

could it cause a reaction when not given straight away...

the reaction we were having cleared up yesterday untill dd#1 took a bottle out of my bag (she had finished the feed and we were out so i put the bottle containing an oz in my bag, mil loaded the kids in the car while i was in a shop) and got the bottle out and gave it her and this was over an hour and bang she went with bad burning poo shortly after

which made me think could it be that if she doesnt have the feed AS soon as its made it could be causing issues, even if its given within the 1 hour time frame? is that a possibility or am i just making impossible links to try and solve this?

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Neocate question...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 16:02:00 pm »
I wouldn't think so really - the ingredients are the same used straight away or an hour later. There isn't any reaction in the bottle that changes anything. The issue with not using it an hour after it's been made and drunk from is bacteria growth because the powder isn't sterile in the container (just like all formulas).

If you are sterilising bottles properly and observing proper hygiene when you make feeds then it shouildn't really be an issue. I'm not sure what temp you need to use to make neocate - normal milk based formulas should be made with freshly boiled water at not less than 70 degrees, but the reflux formula my kids were on needed cold water. If you can use hot water to make it do that to eliminate any bacteria in the powder too.

If she is reacting to it then I would think it's an ingredient in it rather than when the bottle was made.

Laura

Offline OFIH

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 18:41:12 pm »
Could it be the soy oil that's in it? It's refined, but everything can be an allergen, especially if your child is allergic to the unrefined forms. It also has refined corn in it, again refined but my son reacts to those refined things.

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
Re: Neocate question...
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 21:45:15 pm »
She doesnt react to it every time though if it was the soy oil I would expect it to be everytime, there seems to be no link between how the feeds are made or anything, I mean I made a bottle out in the open yesterday using my drivers licence to even off the scoops (hadn't excepted to need to feed till we got in so i didnt have any in storage tubs) and she didnt react to that so hygeine isnt a problem

and we always make them the same way boiled water in the morning left until we need it (into sterilised bottles) always add powder into the bottles when usually needed (though on occation it can be half an hour later she decides she finally wants it, and it seems these are the reaction causing ones)

im really no closer to finding out, since we have only been giving them instantly no reactions infact we dont even have any windy pops today!

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux