Author Topic: Independant Play  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Mom-o

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Independant Play
« on: April 18, 2011, 17:36:09 pm »
Hi Ladies

This is my first post! ;D

Well we are on day four of implementing the EASY routine for my 19weeks old DD. She was on a sort of3 hr routine before her 4month growth spurt. It all went out the window because I wasn't expecting the growth spurt. She Is doing great with PU/PD.
 Before I found the Sanity Saving book problem solving my DD started to do this very annoying hum moan. No that the sleep is sorted she is almost back to the happy child I knew pre growth spurt.

So to get to the point... Activity time. I can't leave her very long anywhere. I mean minutes. floor with toys is no fun then move her to chair again she'll start the moan move again. Don't get me started on tummy time or tummy seconds! I'll play with her on my lap. This lasts longest but wondering if thats normal. She's almost 5 months. Is it seperation anxiety?  Will she settle more after the routine gets established or is there something I can do to improve her independance?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Offline ~Sara~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 264
Re: Independant Play
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 17:52:45 pm »
Hi!  And yay for posting and BW! :D  Welcome!

TBH, I don't think it's true separation anxiety (that normally hit after 1yr).  But, that's not to say that she's not wanting time with you.

At this age, their attention spans are fairly short.  I remember DS getting fussy after a few minutes and hated tummy time as well ::)  I did play with him a lot at this point, or sat close by and read a book/did the crossword while he was happy for a couple of minutes.  Now, however, he plays for long periods of time by himself (up to 10-15, sometimes 20/30 minutes!!).  So, hang in there, it will get better :)

What kind of toys/activities is she playing with/doing?

It could be the routine change, that she's feeling that things are different and seeks your comfort more.  Only time will tell.

*hugs*  Let's see what ideas we can come up with and if any other moms have some ideas, too.
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline kayra

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • 2 for 1!!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 18:11:44 pm »
I could never leave DS for even a few minutes either, and even now despite trying lots of things he won't entertain himself for long periods. I think he's just a social bunny!
But if you need to get something done you could prop her with cushions near you maybe. We had this play mat which had inflated sides, kind of like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Galt-Baby-Activity-Play-GYM-Nest-Ring-Playnest-/320687101031?pt=UK_Toys_Games_Toys_CA&hash=item4aaa70d467#ht_500wt_1156
DS did a lot better in this than just lying flat, I think they want to see more of what's going around them at this age.
all the best :)

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 18:39:19 pm »
Yes, that's a good idea, Kayra!

Also, when your LO gets a little bit older (in a month or so), have a jumperoo really helps!
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Mom-o

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 20:07:15 pm »
Thanks for the replies ladies. I have just accepted that she wants attention. I realised after posting that once her naps start to settle I will have a break and her A time can be all about her.