Author Topic: trying BLW due to spoon refusal - advice/tips needed please  (Read 1991 times)

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
trying BLW due to spoon refusal - advice/tips needed please
« on: April 18, 2011, 20:01:20 pm »
DS has recently begun refusing me spoon feeding him purees.  He is almost 8 months & is teething atm AND I have recently begun introducing texture into his purees.  I thought both of these things were the cause, but he's even refusing cold smooth fruit purees from the fridge & he will usually take these no problem.  He grabs the spoon & wont let me put it in his mouth.

Up to now he's had smooth purees & some finger foods like toast, rice cakes & in the last couple of days he's actually eaten steamed broccoli, cauliflower & carrot.  So it looks like he wants to feed himself.  I'm not that clued up on BLW so I have a few questions.

How do I give him meat the BLW way?????  He's had chicken, beef & fish in purees but I read somewhere that meat needs to be pureed for younger babies as they can't digest it easily.  Can I give him small chunks of meat?  What size should they be? 

Am I safe (choking-wise) to give him fruits like raw blueberries, cherries, grapes or things like raisins?????

As his pincer grip is developing should I still offer large batons of foods or do I now give tiny pieces???  Can someone give a visual guide as to what size they should be???

Is it ok to give peas & sweetcorn as my AK book says they can't digest the outer shells???

Is he old enough to cope with pasta shapes eg fusili or chopped spaghetti???

How do I give him pureed food or sauces in future - do I just mix it with something like big pasta shapes & plop it on his highchair table for him to feed himself???

Also does anyone know of any good finger food/BLW books I can get (UK)???

TIA.xx

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
Re: trying BLW due to spoon refusal - advice/tips needed please
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 01:22:25 am »
Hi Claire!  First off here are a few links:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=92560.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=70142.0
and there is a BLW support thread here:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=184657.0

Ok, so I would suggest picking up a copy of the BLW book.  Here is a link to the website and there is book info there as well:
http://www.babyledweaning.com/

With meats lots of moms give long strips to chew/suck on.  I tended to give my LO's tiny pieces of everything since they had very good pincher grasps.

Choking size is the size of a grape so you want to make sure pieces are much smaller than that.  Usually with grapes you would halve them (or if they're large I quarter them).  Large blueberries can be halved but wild blueberries are small enough.  Raisins aren't too big but aren't very good for teeth so in general might be avoided.

Peas and sweetcorn are fine, but expect them to come out looking like how they went in!  :P

I was giving my LOs all sorts of pasta at this age, maybe cooked a little softer.

When it comes to runny foods, you can either preload spoons and give them to your LO, or use other foods to dip in them.  Pasta is good, also veggies and breads/breadsticks.

The point of BLW is exposing baby to all different kinds of foods and letting him explore and decide what to eat.  It's really more about the experience rather than how much gets eaten.  But generally babies who are BLW develop really healthy eating habits because they are given the opportunity to see what eating is all about for themselves.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 07:08:36 am »
thanks for that Martina - it really helps.

I've ordered the BLW book & plan to try him on some pasta for tea.

Do you know if I'm ok to give dried apricots/prunes as finger foods??

Also for breakfast he usually has porridge/weetabix - obviously they need to be spoon fed so does anyone have any other cereal suggestions?  If I offered things like cheerios or shreddies do you soak them in a little milk first to make them softer or just give them dry???

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 07:19:09 am »
one last question - I've read they often eat less the BLW way so should I expect for his milk intake to increase again?

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:15:58 am »
one last question - I've read they often eat less the BLW way so should I expect for his milk intake to increase again?

Possibly yes :) But that's ok, he's under a year old so most of his intake should be milk.

Dried fruits are fine, they just suck them (DS had dried mango strips a few weeks ago).

If he's teething it may hurt to suck or chew so his intake may decrease until the pain goes (we're going through this atm) but there's no need to worry as it'll only be a day or two then he'll eat more to make up for it!

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:38:01 am »
thanks Hedgehog17 - I will try him on some dried apricots today then. 

He is teething but has 5 coming all at once so he's been suffering for a week or two now.  I can't wait for them all to fully break through.  3 have broken the gum & 2 are just about to pop through.  It really does seem to be affecting his intake & I'll be glad when all is back to normal.

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 13:26:17 pm »
Awww poor boy!

It's just horrible when they are teething, and 5 at once is sore  :'(

DS got his two bottom teeth a couple of weeks ago, now he's got 1 top tooth with another 3 not far behind...

The only thing that works is distraction!

Offline MommaBrooke

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 15:36:19 pm »
Hi Claire,
We are going through the exact same thing atm!  Complete spoon refusal!  My LO is teething as well, and I thought that was the culprit at first....but it turns out she's decided she wants to feed herself :)  Just wanted to let you know that we've tried peas, but I pop them out of the outer shells for her so it's easier for her to mash up the pea in her mouth.  A very ripe banana went over well today, she had a blast eating it.  Going to try some lentils, mashed potatoes and avocado this week as well.  I'm just trying to keep with very soft things, more for my reassurance than for her since I'm a little terrified, lol.
Good Luck :)

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 17:57:19 pm »
Hi Brooke

Our little baba's just want to be independent!!!  DS has cut 5 teeth in the last week (he has 7 now!!!!) & he's taking a bit off the spoon again. 
He gags at the tiniest lump in his puree but will happily eat really lumpy food all by himself.

This week he has tried (& enjoyed) spears of broccoli, cauliflower, sticks of carrot & sweet potato, small chunks of chicken, pasta twists in tomato sauce, scrambled eggs, toast fingers, rice cakes, organix biscuits, melon, blueberries & dried apricots.  I am so proud!!!! ;D ;D ;D  And mealtime has been much more enjoyable too.  ;)

Don't be too afraid about choking though - DS has gagged a few times & vomited once or twice, but he's totally amazed me & is coping really well with all sorts of different tastes & textures.  Just let her control what she puts in & make sure you supervise her (just in case) & get stuck in!!!

Thanks for the peas tip - I will be giving them a try in the next few days along with sweetcorn.  I've yet to try mashed potato or avocado, & lentils I've done but only as a puree - you will have to let me know how she gets on with them.  DS doesn't seem to like banana though - I'm disappointed as I love it!!!! :P