Author Topic: I need adivice as I'm new to food allergies  (Read 5363 times)

Offline LifeGiver

• Mariana, mother of E. (5) M. (3) and A. (14mo)
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • My 3 princesses
    • My family blog
Re: I need adivice as I'm new to food allergies
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 20:25:32 pm »
I've brought DD to a doctor here and he advised me to run allergy tests on her, even though she's very young. The thing is I have loads of food allergies (not serious ones though) so he agreed and introduced me to another ped who could do that.
I went to see her today (the ped) and she told me not to do any major changes in DD's food before the tests, as it's not worth trying to cut something without being sure if that was really the cause.
She told me to buy those old glicerine bar soaps to wash her clothes (and grate it if I want to use it in the washing machine) and have me some creams and bath stuff to help clearing her skin.
We'll be back there for the tests on Tuesday.

I have even bought the soy formula already! O.o but I'm putting it on hold. I just with (with all my heart) that the results don't show allergy to many things!

Hope you, Grants, have some luck with the milk test!
All the Glory to Jesus, King of kings and Lord of lords!

Big girl with multiple food allergies: nuts, peanuts, eggs, fish, coconut and wheat.
Facing school life, one day at a time!

Offline Grants

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Mr 'I know exactly what I want!'
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 18:51:54 pm »
Hi ladies,

Just a quick update. M slept better for 3 nights but yesterday he had a very rough night-not sure if it was because DH forgot about the trial and gave ds normal milk with his cereal in the morning??? Perhaps it is too early to tell what might have caused it. Another thing is that we have visitors atm so ds's routine is all over the place so it’s hard to pin point what is causing the good nights: non-dairy or change in routine??? Time will tell. The Eczema is looking better only after 5 days of trial. It is not 100% healed but its def looking better! :)

Anna, I’m still waiting for the soap. So I will do the soap trial as soon as my dairy trial ends. I will let you know how it goes.

Lifegiver, I hope your tests go well tomorrow. Please keep me updated. I have a question for you or anybody who have any experience with allergy tests. I didn’t know that they could test for food intolerances??? I always thought the only way to discover if somebody had a food intolerance was through food elimination trials??? Are they going to run allergy tests on your DD, Lifegiver, or are they going to run intolerance tests?

Offline Grants

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 05:22:56 am »
Karen, I forgot to ask on the last post. Do I need to worry about supplementing the fat content of Ds's diet because he is not having cow's milk? Another thing, what is the logical explanation about not giving him soya milk? I know a bit about the hormones in it and also the fact that all soya crops are genetic modified but not really sure how to make a point about it. I'm just asking as I have a mil who is pro soya milk so I need some good explanation to be able to dodge the indoctrination about soya, iykwim?!

Offline Grants

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 06:54:32 am »
Where are you lovely ladies??

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 08:10:46 am »
How are things going?

Offline Grants

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 10:38:43 am »
Hi Anna, please read last three posts as the update. Waiting for some more advice from you girls. Btw I received the soap today :-)

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 10:40:41 am »
Sorry hun I can't help you re the milk/soya questions. Has he still been sleeping better since your last update?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 10:46:03 am »
If you are giving him enriched rice milk with coconut milk or something like that no need to supplement. As for soy milk, here are some links that might help explain things:

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects

http://reliableanswers.com/med/soy.asp

http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Grants

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 16:29:18 pm »
No problems Anna ;-) yes, amazingly he is sleeping better :D Let's hope it continues. I'm going to do the soap test this weekend. I received the soap today but I have just realised that I don't have unopened vaseline. Thank you so much Karen! :-) just one more question. Do you know of any cheese or yogurt substitute? All the yogurts I have found so far are soya based??? 

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 16:45:12 pm »
How long has he been dairy free now?

I've heard that Daiya cheese (http://www.daiyafoods.com/products/cheddar.asp) is the best dairy/soy-free cheese substitute. And I know they make a coconut milk yogurt, but if you can't find it yogurt is pretty easy to make. See here: http://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/2009/04/25/homemade-coconut-milk-yogurt/

Glad he's sleeping better and fingers crossed it continues!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Grants

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 06:40:02 am »
Thank you very much for the links Karen :-) ds has been dairy free for 9 days. But I think I have spoken too soon. He woke up once the night before last and woke up twice last night. He sttn for 4 days in a row, which is a miracle, but now he is having nws again ??? Tbh the nws are not as bad as they used to be but I'm not sure what to think anymore??? His eczema seemed to have improved a bit though. Does anybody know if it is possible to test for food intolerances?   

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 10:51:56 am »
I had this blood test run for DS and it's apparently quite reliable. http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/food_allergy_igg.asp

Offline Grants

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 20:10:34 pm »
Thanks again for the link Karen :-). We have decided to try NAET with ds. His eczema is back to looking worse than ever so I hope NAET can get rid of it tbh.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 20:53:37 pm »
Keep us posted - hope it works!

Offline Grants

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 08:45:17 am »
The NAET practitioner is on holiday atm so I will keep you updated once I have started. x