Author Topic: 15 mo still with food/wind issues  (Read 12598 times)

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: 15 mo still with food/wind issues
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 03:25:40 am »
good luck hun.  I just noticed that my email to you is still in its outbox.    >:( Hopefully you have the sals lists now.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 06:33:51 am »
OMG olly has STTN for the last 2 nights. I think we might actually have cracked it! No rock hard tummy at bed time  ;D only on day 3 so won't count chickens yet but it is looking good!!

Jenny do you know if this fructose thing is something that they can grow out of? Is it something that they can get in varying degrees? Maybe he could have some fructose in his diet.

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 09:25:39 am »
I am SOOOO excited for you!  :D Praying that it continues! What's he been eating?

Jenny do you know if this fructose thing is something that they can grow out of?
Fructose malabsorption I don't think you grow out of. I wonder myself if J will grow out of whatever troubles him. He was described as having an 'immature bowel' when he was much younger. I am hoping that this really is just what is wrong and while fructose seems to be a problem now, maybe as his bowel matures he will be ok with it. But in the back of my mind is that that term probably just means the Dr didn't know and he really does have something that does have a name (like fructose malabsorption).

Fructose malabsorption I think is totally about varying degrees - some things they might be able to eat some of, but not too much and not overload on too many fructose things all on the same day. But then I think there will be other things that they probably will never be able to eat because it's just too much fructose (like pears and apples).

I'll try and find you a link to a thread I had where Ali (fireredjewel) who has Fructose malabsorption was helping me out - she explained how her tolerance works which might help you. Here we go:http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=186672.0;all

Jenny - mama to

Offline EloysH

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 09:43:37 am »
OMG fingers and toes crossed !

Please let wthis be the beginning of the end of your NW's.

Our latest run of NW's has been put down to his first canine appearing yesterday - ouch!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 13:23:39 pm by EloysH »

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 11:12:57 am »
Thanks for the link Jenny. So we have taken out apple, pear, melon and mango. He still has banana, peach, blueberries and we trialled 1 strawberry the other day. He liked it but was itchy the next day. Will try that again in a few days as would be good to have something else he can eat. So he has fruits that are not VERY low so I am thinking he can tolerate a bit. Of course it might not be the fructose it could just be that it is one of the fruits he cannot tolerate so once he hs been OKfor a week we will re-introcude the oats and then the fuits one at a time.

Eloise - have got the e-mail now. Will read through it properly later this evening when I can digest it in peace  ;)

Offline EloysH

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 13:25:00 pm »
strawberries are a tricky one as they are an allergic food  and high sals food and also - high fructose???

Offline Edesanja

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 20:19:38 pm »
Nope, strawberries are low fructose. We haven't tried them yet because of the allergy risk.

Sounds like a great plan! Definitely keep us posted!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 20:41:13 pm by Edesanja »
Jenny - mama to

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 21:37:49 pm »
Jenny, Would you mind sharing some of the safe foods that your LO eats? SOme of the lists I have found contradict each other  ???

Offline Edesanja

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 00:26:10 am »
I know! I just looked at the fartingpear food guide and they said carrots are bad. They're fine for J, so I think it's a bit of the case of it depends on the person. Which makes trying to interpret the lists difficult, but it gives hope I guess in that hopefully our little men will be able to tolerate some things!!

J's diet is still pretty limited. We still do foods one at a time and with trialling gluten, dairy and eggs as well as now starting to wean losec as well as sickness and teething it can be hard to find a good time to add more foods!

Porridge
GF bread
GF pasta
Rice
Millet
Blueberries
Avocado
Banana
Carrot
Peas
Corn
Potato
Sweet potato
Pumpkin
Chicken
Lamb
Beef
Pork
Bacon
GF ham

So not a lot, but it's enough to have variety and use things in different combinations. He always eats porridge for breakfast (sometimes with blueberries), and usually has a combination of the following: GF toast, banana bread, avocado, banana for lunch, so it's dinner that is really the only meal I have to think about and I have things like meatballs in the freezer if it doesn't work for him to have an adaption of what we're having (eg if I'm doing chicken I'll just cook his in a separate dish without the sauce).

The next vegetables I want to get on to are broccoli, courgette, cauliflower.
Jenny - mama to

Offline aidenmc

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 01:17:27 am »
I'd just like to follow along. Having similar issues with my 9mo and starting a more restricted diet for both of us (previously off dairy and soy, now attempting gluten, and some other specific things). He's never slept well at night, from 4-16 NWs typically. Certainly part of it is due to the APing we've been doing all this time, but gas is certainly part of the problem. 
Becky,
Mom to Kieran (10/15/2000); Aiden, (7/ 8/ 2005); and Samuel (7/10/2010)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 20:35:11 pm »
Jenny, what do you do about pain meds? Olly has had a post mmr fever and we have been giving sugar free calpol. He has been so windy he has been up 3 times in 3 hours with gas pains. DH just realised the calpol has fructose in it! Arghhh!

Offline Edesanja

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 01:23:45 am »
I think calpol = paracetamol right? The one we use doesn't appear to have fructose in it and neither does the nurofen. I know some chemists can make things colour/ flavour free if you need, so maybe you could talk to them - especially since the fructose is likely to just be a flavouring. Eloise has more experience asking pharmacists to do different things than I do!
Jenny - mama to

Offline EloysH

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 08:32:40 am »
I'm not sure BB, we have been using the standard paracetemol and neurofen that is sugar free although  has the nasty artificial sugar in it  and nasty artificial orange flavour >:(  I don't know if that contains fructose though. Certainly not listed as an ingredient.  How can we tell if something has fructose?

As far as pain meds go, I have not been successful in getting compounding chemists to make any up as they can't get their hands on paracetemol as a powder... (this would be to have a flavour and additive free med).  Basically, I have only used it if desperate, as I know he is sensitive to the additives.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 09:55:39 am »
I got it wrong and in fact it contains sorbitol and malitol which Can be problematic for FM. He was up 5 times before midnight last night with wind. There was nothing different in his diet apart from the calpol!

Offline Edesanja

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 22:02:39 pm »
Bummer.
Yeah, sorbitol can be bad and cuts out more fruits that would be otherwise possible :(. I've only tried J on peaches. Seems he can tolerate 1 small slice of canned peach, but no more. He's ok with the paracetamol though.
Jenny - mama to