Author Topic: 15 mo still with food/wind issues  (Read 12573 times)

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: 15 mo still with food/wind issues
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2011, 12:59:32 pm »
Oh no!  I wonder how long you need to wait for things to equalise on a low fructose diet?  Is bananna low or high fructose?  I do know that with these types of diets they don't provide proper answers unless you follow them religiously.  I.e. if it is  supposed to be low frustose and you are eating one high food, then the results are null and void really.  I wish I could help more  >:(   If it were salicylates I could help!

If it were sals, you would need to be on the diet about 3 weeks before you could expect to reach a baseline. 

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2011, 14:54:35 pm »
huge huge hugs.
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2011, 17:19:41 pm »
Thanks. I am not sure how long it takes. We are persevering with it though. Olly is eating moderate fructose foods but I just cannot put on him only low. There seriously would be hardly anything left for him to eat. I need to balance his need for food and nutrients with getting to the bottom of this.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2011, 21:00:18 pm »
Maybe if he only has moderate foods every other day it could help some? Not sure... HUGS
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2011, 21:01:06 pm »
In my experience it's just the day that you eat it that's a problem. Ali said up to about 12hours for her. (J got hold of some apple yesterday when we were at our music group = 40min screaming session 2.5hrs later during nap time (woke having tummy cramps and just screamed). But when it was over he stopped screaming, calmed down pretty easily and then I took him back to bed and he was asleep again straight away. He did have diahrroea later in the afternoon and his tummy was a little bit harder (so he was bit grumpier than usual) but then today he's fine).

We are persevering with it though. Olly is eating moderate fructose foods but I just cannot put on him only low. There seriously would be hardly anything left for him to eat. I need to balance his need for food and nutrients with getting to the bottom of this.
What are the moderate ones? It's like Eloise said above - if the's eating just 1 food that is too high for him, then the whole thing will be null and void.
I think you need to give it a really good go despite how dificult it will be, so that then you can say you've done it and it is or isn't the problem and move onto the next thing if necessary.

J is totally fine with banana. He can eat a whole one but thefartingpear.com suggests that some people can't tolerate that much - maybe only 1/4 or 1/2. I know snacks are a big pain in the neck! I give J crackers (lots of different ones but they are all boring! rice crackers, puffed rice cakes, corn thins, corn cruskits) plus quinoa rings (I found some that contain pear juice for flavouring - so I DON'T buy those ones!!), corn puffs, pop corn.

I think I would feed him this for a few days:
Breakfast: porridge or whatever you replaced it with, berries if you want
Lunch: GF toast with berry jam, avocado
Dinner: meat and potatoes, custard made with oat milk
Snacks, crackers, popcorn, blueberries

After a few days you would know if it's fructose or not, then you can start adding other things back in (like maybe 1/4 banana) to see what his tolerance is. You can always do different meats and different styles of potato for variety. Olly probably won't even care (my DD only ate 7 foods from 6-14months - it was definitely me who minded about the lack of variety more than her!).

Anyway, just letting you know I'll happily hold your hand if you do try low fructose!
Jenny - mama to

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2011, 21:25:16 pm »
Thank you! I was imagining I would have to do it for at least 2 weeks to do a proper test. I think I manage it for a few days. Problem is that Olly won't eat things like rice and potatos which are very non allergenic foods. If he did, life would be much easier as I could fill him up on those.

Jenny, this is very similar what he eats now TBH tho I would have to replace the potato with sw pt/BN squash or GF pasta. I steer clear of custard a bit because of the sugar but I could try it again. Great idea in fact!

I am still confused over the sw pot and BN squash. This website says sw pot lower in fructose than the squash  http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-011011000000000000000-2.html? Farting Pear says the opposite. These are the things really I fear to remove from his diet. Then I am left with GF bread and pasta as carbs.  ???

So you think the berries are OK to leave in even though they are moderate? Only low fruits seem to be citrus and chomping on a lime for a snack cannot be nice lol

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies

Offline Edesanja

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2011, 01:06:54 am »
It's awfully confusing isn't it! That first list you gave seems to contradict a lot of what I've read as well as the second link you gave. I wonder if they're just measuring total fructose in that list rather than the ration of fructose/glucose which is actually the key.

The second link is more similar to ones that I use, but still different - mainly in not recommending berries and citrus! (and it lists blueberries as bad because of xylitol which is only possibly a problem for fructose malabsorption).

This is the lady that came up with the idea of the FODMAP diet. http://sacfs.asn.au/download/SueShepherd_sarticle.pdf Berries and citrus are on her list too (so are stone fruit - but we've been avoiding that too as I don't think they're a good thing to start on as they contain sorbitol).

I usually compare all the lists I've got and then make a judgement of what the general consensus is! So I'd take sweet potato as a NO , but butternut pumpkin as fine. And so, if he doesn't eat potatoes and rice (have you tried hash browns or making wedges?) I'd do GF pasta and pumpkin instead of potato. I don't give J custard that often either - just thought it would be a good option if you were struggling to find things to fill him up!

How are you going with getting him seen? I think we both need professional help to get this sorted! It's such a mission to try and understand on our own, and anyway both O and J will need someone who actually knows what they're doing watching over their diets!
Jenny - mama to

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2011, 12:52:33 pm »
Well the moderates are banana, blueberries, strawberries, then the squash and sw pot. Actually apart from the sw pot then they look OK but are still not LOW.

We are also steerting clear of sorbitol too after the Calpol night!

Last night was an improvement again. In fact hardly any wind but still a restless night. That could be anything though. He didn't have any pain killers or anti histamine yesterday which both contain soritol or malitol which tells us something...

Offline Edesanja

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2011, 19:34:39 pm »
That's an improvement, and yeah very interesting about the sorbitol! I'd go easy on the banana for a few days and ditch the sweet potato....
Do you keep offering rice and potatoes even though he doesn't eat them usually? Some kids (J ::)) really do need to be exposed to it A LOT before they will eat something.
Jenny - mama to

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2011, 19:59:15 pm »
He was at nursery today and had peach. Oh well. Think he is teething so will have to have painkillers at some point in the night I think.

With potatos I keep trying all kinds of forms. Mash, hash browns, roast, chips. Have just bought waffles as he ate a GF/DF/EF pancake recipe I tried the other day and I thought they were similar. In fact will make those pancakes againa as they will be a good snack. They had a bit of peach in last time so I ended up throwing them away as part of this trial but but will make with a banana, blueberry puree I have just found (such tiny amount of banana it can't hurt right?). Have been reading that small amounts of banana OK in most people but when he is back from nursery for 4 days I will try it then as I can strcitly control what he eats.

Offline Edesanja

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2011, 20:39:42 pm »
No, I think small amounts of banana will be fine, just don't feed him tonnes because there seems like nothing else to feed him!! (I know the feeling!!). Those pancakes sound yummy!

Does your nursery provide the food? Can you specify what they can and can't feed him (I sure hope so!!)?
Jenny - mama to

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2011, 20:57:51 pm »
Yes nursery provide food but only refsues it ALL except fruit and the odd soy yoghurt and I took a list of the high fructose fruits in last week. All he ate today for 8 hours was the peach so very reluctant to take that off the list too.

Offline Edesanja

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2011, 01:39:05 am »
How's it going?
Jenny - mama to

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2011, 06:08:24 am »
Doing good thanks! Been a few nights now without windy NWs! Still get the odd NW but they are easy to resettle and to be expected with a 16 month old who has never really been able to relax and sleep at night! Am also still struggling on with GW at BT. Last night he wouldn't settle Nd I got frustrated and walked out. Within a few minutes he was asleep so I think I was disturbing him so another small step forward! Thanks for asking :-*

Ps now we are finally at our 'baseline' have had 3 days of introducing soy and he seems ok on it. Phew, a few more foodie items he can eat! we discovered soy cheese this and he loves it!