Author Topic: So we went to see the naturopath  (Read 1816 times)

Offline aidenmc

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
So we went to see the naturopath
« on: April 21, 2011, 19:45:09 pm »
and I'm really hoping this will help with Samuel's digestion and sleep. Basically she said that he doesn't have the right proportions of intestinal bacteria - partly due to the reflux meds I think. She prescribed a probiotic (which we had bought yesterday and were going to start), another homeopathic medicine, fish oil to heal his gut, and a cream for his - yeast infection. He's had a rash in his diaper area, in the crease for about a week. I was thinking eczema, but it seemed too red. Yeast. I have read about candida and wonder if this is in part behind the insane amounts of gas he is producing...I am suspecting that he has an excess in his gut and that we both might have this. Don't know if anyone has any experience with this?

She also said that we both have to be off dairy, soy (no big deal, have been already - although I really wanted a bit of easter chocolate...), gluten. And, I have to stop coffee (i have it just in the morning, but depend on it), chocolate (had found a nice 70% dark chocolate without milk), wine, and sugar! Sigh.....I really don't know how I am going to do this. I count on some of these things a pick me ups (I know, not healthy), when so tired because of our insane night waking situation here. I crave sugar not that I eat tons of it, but I will definitely miss it.

I will do this if it means that ds starts to settle down a little at night. I think I would feel less scared of sleep training as well if he was at least sleeping slightly better at night on his own (not the usually hourly NWs). But I have to admit I just feel a big sense of ugh at the prospect of trying to feed myself on such a restricted diet. I really really hope this works.

She also said that (based on my pregnancy history - which included pica, restless legs, and many other problems) that I am likely deficient in various minerals and should consider coming in for myself...better get back on that multivitamin.

So, a lot of this does make sense to me. Just wish I knew more about the legitimacy of this approach to health. I have gotten nowhere with my gp and suspect she would just roll her eyes if I told her about this visit.

Eloise - you said you'd had great help with yours. Did you see an improvement in your lo's sleep?
Becky,
Mom to Kieran (10/15/2000); Aiden, (7/ 8/ 2005); and Samuel (7/10/2010)

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: So we went to see the naturopath
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 19:54:33 pm »
Yeast/candida can totally and absolutely contribute to intestinal gas/wind!!! The production of CO2 in the gut is the same as the process used to make those bubbles in bread dough, and when DH has a batch of wine fermenting the girls love to watch the air bubbles rising from the liquid - it's a good lesson for them in why to avoid some things.

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 11:56:51 am »
as a science naturopathy is a totally legitimate approach to hleath, wholistic medicence never ceases to maze me.  If it's worth anything I would say my naturopath has hepled us more than all the health professionals we have seen put together.  (except for the prescribing a PPI).

Quote (selected)
Basically she said that he doesn't have the right proportions of intestinal bacteria - partly due to the reflux meds I think. She prescribed a probiotic (which we had bought yesterday and were going to start), another homeopathic medicine, fish oil to heal his gut, and a cream for his - yeast infection.
Most forward thinking Dr'swill suggest a probiotic, my chemist and paed both did for Kai was so duid the naturopath  - as a precaution/booster to counteract the effect of the PPI on the stomach and gut.  What's the active ingredient in the cream that she prescribed?

Quote (selected)
Yeast. I have read about candida and wonder if this is in part behind the insane amounts of gas he is producing...I am suspecting that he has an excess in his gut and that we both might have this. Don't know if anyone has any experience with this?
An entirely legitimate issue, it does produce gas and leaks toxins into their system (from the bad bacteria) that can make them very sensitive little individuals asd they carry a toxic load.  I've struggled with it for many years and never managed to rid myself of it completely... since I was on the ED for so long I wasn't able to do anything about it for 12 months as the ED is high in refined sugars/carbs.  I couldn't cut them out or else I would have had literally NOTHING to eat. Kai was on a probiotic but also my high sugar diet and he wasn't hugely windy  ::)   The only thing I am unsure of for you is  - does the high amounts of sugar and yeasts/candida bacteria pass through your milk to him?  I know for a fact that coffee, drugs and food chemicals like salicylates and proteins like milk/egg/ etc pass through the milk.  I know that minerals and vitamins do not.  Eg, if you take mega doses of vitamin C the levels don't go up much in your milk.

But now I am  on a low sugar diet too after seeing my naturopath just this week.   

If you look at it from a health standpoint coffee and sugars are really not so good for us anyway, it can only improve your health.  After a week or so  you won't crave it anymore as your insulin blood levels and hormones adjust/rebalance.   So have your eggs  and veges for breakfast.  ::)

Offline deb

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 16:24:07 pm »
The yeast in your gut doesn't pass thru BM when nursing, but the sugars sure will.

Make sure you get enough good fats. They'll help you feel full and reduce cravings. My coconut milk and yogurt smoothie (I cut the coconut milk with yogurt but that's optional) also has flaxseed oil in it and I can only drink half of it at a time and it's soooo filling, keeps me not-hungry for a good 3-4 hours no problem, and you can cut it with rice milk if you need to - some carbs there but not nearly as many, just enough for consistency.

And sticking with the good food will totally help your energy levels and immunity as well - when we did a candida cleanse diet to knock out the fungus invasion, not only were we not even the slightest bit sick while we were on it (with a preschooler going to school daily during February and March!) but I lost nearly 30 pounds of stubborn post-baby weight. :) I'm on a similar diet now and have lost some weight again that I'd gained back with my messed-up thyroid.

If you can get carob powder, you can at least make a chocolate substitute drink, and sweeten with a bit of stevia or a hint of xylitol (use the sugar alcohols sparingly though as too much can cause intestinal issues).

Offline aidenmc

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 16:50:26 pm »
This is very interesting stuff both of you. That's what I am not sure about - should i be doing a total candida diet or just the recommendations that she made. I suspect the chocolate and coffee were related to caffeine and the possibility of it passing through to ds and bothering him, but think it may also have to do with the yeast (??). 

Funny thing is, despite feeling generally tired and kind of burnt out I haven't been sick aside from one minor cold since ds was born. That is with my Phd thesis defence to prepare for and do, two other boys, household stuff, and the stress of horrible sleep for all this time. My suspicion is that at some point my body would decide to crash on me. I guess it's best I sort this stuff out before that happens. Losing weight would be a great side benefit (although I've already lost all but 5 pounds or so).

Eloise I will check on the cream - all natural but can't recall what's in it. It has already improved the rash after one application last night.
Becky,

Offline deb

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 19:22:21 pm »
You can certainly start with this diet and see how you feel in a while. It may be enough to help your body fight off candida the rest of the way or at least get it under control, but if not, you won't know without giving at least this much a go. It's actually probably less restrictive than you think. Rather than concentrating on the things you *can't* have, I found it helpful to make a list of what you *can*. There's a lot of stuff on the *can* list I might not otherwise have tried, or eaten as much of. :)

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 19:41:49 pm »
Hey Becky

I suffered from chronic candidiasis for almost 10 years. It was also accompanied by chronic cystitis. I went to see around 12 different doctors. My symptoms included chronic vaginal thrush (at least once a month), extremely painful period pains that rendered me useless for work at least one day a month, occasionally painful intercourse, dry skin, dandruff, irritability, mood swings and tiredness. The docs had two stock standard responses a) prescribe antibiotics b) tell me it was part of being female and there was nothing to do about it. The reason why many medical doctors do not understand candidasis is because there is no definitive test for it. They cannot box it. One day i woke up and said to myself this cannot be how I will live out my life...there has to be a way out of this horrible cycle. I visited a naturopath and she transformed my whole life. I still to this day tell her that she saved me.

I followed a fairly strict diet for 12 months. I now eat and drink whatever I want and have only had one instance of thrush (during my pregnancy) since. However, I never gave up my one cup of tea a day - I must have that. Its very hard to follow the diet and it took me a long time to find alternatives (I never realised how much bread I ate till I gave it up) I lost a lot of weight to the point where I became a bit worried. But then once I figured out how to eat again it all evened out. I think if you start of cutting out the main culprits such as yeast, wheat, sugars and fermented products you may see enough of an improvement. Along with taking probiotics and whatever else the naturopath prescribes. Keep having your one coffee for a while, you can tell your naturopath you are not ready to stop that but that you will limit it to one a day...she should be accommodating and understanding, if she isn't find a new one who has a grasp on how difficult it is to change habits of a lifetime.

I found that it was enough to do it for 12 months. Nowadays I try to restrict bread to weekends only and I am far more aware of what i eat then before but really, I do eat whatever i want.

So, its hard but its totally worth it. You will see changes in your body that you didn't even realise needed changing...I cannot recommend the natutopathy path for this type of thing highly enough.

x

Offline aidenmc

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 00:21:21 am »
Your story is very compelling Chicane - sounds like you had a really rough time until you found real help. It's nice to hear so many people with good experiences with naturopathy. I actually did do a no dairy, soy, gluten diet when ds2 was a baby as he was very similar to ds3 with reflux and major gas. It was hard at first but I did manage to find food to eat, although I'm not sure how well I was doing in avoiding everything I needed to. I'm not sure if I actually have candidiasis or not...but if it's even just ds who has it in his gut then I do have to make sure I do what I can for him. And I'm sure it would be good for me as well. I am sort of giving myself the weekend to get my head around it. Realized this morning that if I went full fledged into it I would have nothing much to eat today (stored closed as good friday).

Also I was so tired this morning after so many NWs last night that I had a small cup of coffee to clear my head. I think I will just gradually cut back on that, not that I am drinking much anyway - just 2 smallish cups in the morning.
Becky,

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 06:49:38 am »
Hey Becky

I think changing the diet for both of you is a good thing but you know, just take it easy. You don't have to go full steam ahead straight away. Start small and take it from there. For example just start with cutting out yeast then maybe move onto wheat and so on. Supplement with probiotics etc. You may find that what you both have is mild and just a few changes will help a lot and you might only have to restrict your diet for a short while, kwim? I think naturopaths who expect/demand that you change everything all at once are being unrealistic and it just sets you up for disappointment cause its really hard!

Candidaisis is just the medical term for an overgrowth of Candida albicans and like many conditions it can range from mild to severe. I forgot to add that one of the reasons you crave sugar is because that what the Candida feeds on, its the Candida that is making you have those really strong sugar cravings, it wants you to eat lots of sugar and yeast cause that's what it thrives on.

keep us posted on how you go and don't be too hard on yourself

xo