Author Topic: Blood in stools - still!  (Read 10321 times)

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Blood in stools - still!
« on: April 23, 2011, 01:08:24 am »
Hello,
I have a 4 month old son who has had little specks of blood in his diaper for the past month. I have been off of the obvious dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc) for  2 months now. Three weeks ago I decided to go completely off of dairy and soy. I am wondering how long it should take for the blood to go away if it is truly a dairy/soy intolerance. There is usually a little dot of blood in one or two diapers  every other day. Then today, he had a couple of streaks of blood and it is stressing me out! Could it be from something else? I know I have a forceful let down. I am thinking of pumping before each feeding to help with the let down. Any other ideas? Should I be more patient or cut out other foods?

My doctor suggested trying Nutramigen to see if it is really a dairy issue but I feel as though I have been off of dairy long enough now.

Super confused and worried about the blood.
Katie

Offline Rachel_Momto3boys

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Blood in stools - still!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 03:00:19 am »
From my personal experience it took my LO 4 weeks to be completely symptom free, that is no mucuos or blood in his stools, no reflux symptoms, no ezcema.  I am still BFing and avoiding dairy/soy/egg/tomatoes/nuts after going on an total elimination diet.  I think it took so long for us because at first I only eliminated dairy and then about a week later soy, and then about a week later I went on the TED diet to figure out he has problems with egg and tomatoes.   Hopefully you won't have to go so extreme, but my point is it can definitely take time for your LO's gut to heal, it has to "recover" so to speak.  
Also, for what it's worth Nutramigen is a milk-based formula but is gentle for babies with a dairy allergy because it is broken down into small protein chains making it easier for babies to digest.  HOWEVER, some babies still can't handle the broken down proteins in Nutramigen (or Alimentum) and need an amino-acid based forumla like Neocate or EleCare.  These formulas are made with free amino-acids (the building blocks of protein) basically doing all the work for your LO so that they don't have anything to react to, YKWIM?  You would have to start with Nutramigen and see how your LO does, and if still not better try Neocate or EleCare.  Or of course, giving BFing some more time and make sure you have ALL dairy and soy out of your diet.
Rachel
Mom to 3 boys
Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory Kid
Decemberboy04 - former reflux baby
Augustboy10 - MSPI Baby - EBF w/elimination diet

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 02:17:10 am »
Thanks for your response Rachel. Since my last post, my LO went 4 days without any blood then today had just a little dot. I am hoping by this weekend he will be better because it will be 4 weeks on Friday. Thanks again!
Katie

Offline mianita

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 04:29:15 am »
Hi! I'm in the same boat and almost ready to give up BF and feel so bad about this!
my DD is 6mo and has mucus and blood in stool for couple of months... I'm on strict elimination diet for 20 days, however I'm not sure if it is TED. I see some improvements in color of her poop, but still getting some blood here and there... Really don't know what to do to help her. My doc told me to give Elecare, but she never had a bottle and I have no idea what to do. I really don't want to give up BF, I planned to BF until 1 year at least, and now I have to decide. So sad
I really hope that she will improve in next 10 days.
I eliminated dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, wheat. Also I don't eat meat, sometimes some turkey. And avoiding celery and citrus.
PLs let me know if your LO had improved, I really want to have some hope :) I wish that your LO feels better!

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 13:27:14 pm »
Mianita,
I am sorry to hear your LO is struggling too. It is so hard! My guy has been blood free for 2 weeks now! Last night I had sushi and I believe I had a seaweed salad with some soy in it. LO had an awful runny mucus green diaper with blood in it today. SIGH! So, looks like soy is one of the problems. I hope it doesn't take long for his system to clear again. How is your daughter doing?
Katie

Offline mianita

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 15:22:01 pm »
Hi! She is also blood free for a week or so, I have no idea what is she reacting to, so I avoid sooo many foods. But it seems it is worth it, she definitely feels better. Mucus is still there, but I've read here that it can take 6-8 weeks for mucus to go away completely. So I'm still waiting :) I'm about 5 weeks on ED and about 1,5 week glutein free, so probably I'll understand what is she allergic to when we start her on solids.
hope your LO feels better now!

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 00:59:59 am »
Are you going to introduce anything back in your diet to see if she reacts or just wait until solids? I am dairy/soy/nut/gluten/egg free and I am starving! :)
Katie

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 18:27:52 pm »
Mianita,
I noticed that you started using the probiotic Klaire....how is it going? Do you know if it is soy free as well as Dairy and wheat? I am considering trying this and would love to hear what you think.

Thanks!
Katie

Offline mianita

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 02:52:03 am »
Hi, I'm on ED for almost 2 months now and glutein free for about 1 month and still our situation is not so good as i would like it to see... i have an appt with GI on June 7, so after that I'll see what to do. my DD is almost 7mo and we are still not on solids, our doctor told us to wait and do not start anything until we figure out what is going on.
To be honest I'm absolutely fine with my diet as I buy lots of food that substitute the one you usually use. For exaple I buy cheese, ice cream, making pizzas, bread at home - everything non-dairy, egg and gluteing free of course. But I have no idea why still she has mucus... The blood is gone and she has it very rare.
Klaire probiotics is absolutely allergen free, so no worries here. But i'm not sure if it works. Our pead told me that all babies have disbiosis (not sure i whote it correct), and there are no official studies that prove that probiotics help infants (fore sure they help adults though). I'm still giving it to her and will give, but not sure this helps.