Author Topic: Fructose malabsorption?  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Fructose malabsorption?
« on: April 23, 2011, 20:00:32 pm »
hi, we have just been talking about this on another thread and as we are trialling this with Olly I thought I would start a new thread to see if anyone had any experience or advice on it??

Thanks

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Fructose malabsorption?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 12:35:43 pm »
What is making you suspect fructose malabsorption? Can they test for that?

I was starting to wonder about it with DS myself, but now his diapers have been MUCH better since he's been on Culturelle the past week or so (other probiotics didn't seem to work nearly as well).
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Fructose malabsorption?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 15:45:23 pm »
Don't know a whole lot about it but after the little reading on it that I did, I realized that my girls can only handle fruit juice in small doses, which is hard when well-meaning people give them juice boxes because they know I don't like Kool-Aid. ::) And high fructose corn syrup? Ugh..... they get weepy and spacey and WEIRD.

Following along here.

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 17:11:16 pm »
What is making you suspect fructose malabsorption? Can they test for that?

The test is a breath test.  My niece has just gone through some testing for every possible gastro disease/disorder/syndrome you can name and nowhere in Ontario would do the test on this one...there is a test that exists, it's just hard to find places that actually DO it.  In the end her dr (who by some utterly magical stroke offamily luck is THE leading physician in the WORLD on food intolerances and paedi gastro issues  ;D ) and he could not even manage to pull strings to get anyone to do the test for her ::)īThat's Ontario though so possibly in the States you might find more facilities who will do it.  He did a clinical test with her instead - so as with milk, it is a case of removing the foods and seeing if symptoms disappear, then introducing the foods again and seeing if they re-appear.   I only remember from talks with her that there are a LOT of fruits that are too high in fructose (apples, pears, grapes) and others that are okay (bananas and berries) as well as several vegetables that are the same (like, I remember her jumping for joy that her mom could not use onions in her food anymore because they are high fructose, too).  Cutting out the fructose was harder than cutting out gluten and dairy I know, because it is actually much more limiting (lots of fresh produce is restricted as well) BUT there are grains that can be eaten, but not all (rye okay wheat is not).

Symptoms are gastro - similar to celiac, MPI, IBS, lactose intolerance, etc...nothing that would make you suspect one over the other iykwim, just narrowing it down.

Hopefully you are able to find someone to do the test for you!!!