Author Topic: Ideas for getting 13 month old to try new foods?  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
Ideas for getting 13 month old to try new foods?
« on: April 26, 2011, 11:19:41 am »
Hi Ladies,

DS is a good eater -- meaning, he will eat a lot something if he likes it.  The problem is that he often will not try new foods.  I am always giving him new things to try, but am rarely successful. He will still eat some purees (most fruit, a few veggies but not many) and yogurt. In terms of finger foods, he will eat scrambled egg, cheerios, cheese, chicken nuggets (sometimes pancakes or french toast, sometimes meatballs).  I try to hide veggies in some of these things to boost the nutrients. Nonetheless, I always put a fruit or veggie on his tray regardless because I want him to try them cut up as well.  Very rarely he will pick up a fruit or veggie and put it in his mouth.  If we even make it that far, it always ends in him spitting it out.  Same with most other new foods.  I made some toast yesterday and put some hummus in a cup and showed him how to dip it yesterday, but he wouldn't put it near his mouth.  I know it can take 15-20 times per new food for them to finally accept it, but he doesn't even put it in his mouth more than half the time, so I'm not sure how to encourage him to try these things.  DH and I have tried eating off of his tray, letting him put pieces of food in my mouth,  etc. I never pressure him because I know that will only make him stressed about eating. 

Many people I know say, "He won't eat pizza?" "He won't eat a cookie?' "He won't eat (insert a typical favorite toddler food)?" It's not that he doesn't like them, it's more that he doesn't know if he likes them or not because he won't try!

Does anyone have any tips for getting their LO to try new things? I know it's probably a phase, but not sure if there is anything more I can be doing to gently encourage him to try new foods.  I just feel bad that he eats pretty much the same exact things every day. 

TIA! xx
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
Re: Ideas for getting 13 month old to try new foods?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 19:35:33 pm »
I'm not sure I'm totally qualified to answer because my LO is a bit younger (nearly 12 months) but he's suddenly started to show resistance to some fruit he previously loved.  I've found if I pick it up he will sometimes take it out of my hand.  I put raspberries on the ends of my fingers today and he thought this was hilarious to take them off into his mouth!

I also find if I put one or two things on his tray, he might try them, for example, if I put a few pieces of pineapple on, two will go on the floor and a bite might be taken from one.  If I put raisins on the tray with the pineapple, he will just eat the raisins and not touch the pineapple!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

Re: Ideas for getting 13 month old to try new foods?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 01:49:42 am »
Thanks, Lemonthyme! I was actually wondering if maybe I put too much food on his tray at once.  Maybe I'll try putting a few pieces of one food on at a time instead of together with the other foods. 

I LOVE the raspberry idea.  I think there is a chance that my LO may be intrigued by that. 

Thank you so much!!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)