Author Topic: very bright, bored or what? Aaagh!  (Read 4628 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
very bright, bored or what? Aaagh!
« on: April 28, 2011, 16:45:50 pm »
Henry is being very testing atm. When we are at home he just cruises about...he is not particularly interested in any of his toys, he certainly will not play with any for a second without me but even when I sit with him (and I do) he plays for a minute and then wanders off. All he seems to want to do is watch TV or look at construction machines on the computer or other stuff generally not allowed i.e. pulling things off shelves. It is really starting to do my head in as I dread the day knowing that unless we go out he is just going to hassle me for the TV or the computer. I am not against him watching something but not all the time.
I am unsure if we have enough toys or whether the toys are at the right level for him. The health visitor did his 2 year check and said he was working at the level of a 3 year old so maybe he just needs more...well I know he does need more but it is a bit overwhelming. I can't just keep buying stuff hoping he will play with it as we don't have endless space or money but atm I feel like we are depriving him as he seems so bored and it is SOOOO draining on me.
We have made a thinking spot as he has been getting really demanding about the TV or anything he cannot have straight away so there has been a lot of throwing and shouting but this afternoon it just seemed like I was putting him there constantly.
I need some ideas - what do your 2.5 year olds play with? He has never been that into playing but this is getting ridiculous and I am starting to resent him which I feel so awful about.
Another thing that is happening is that he will do something he knows is not good like throw food off the table or spit lots of water out or pull a flower head off a plant. I make sure I always give him warnings i.e. please do not do that, it is not kind, good manners etc. I then do clearly tell him that if he does it again he will not have his pudding or we will go indoors or whatever it is that I feel is reasonable and then he will look right at me, do it and immediately say sorry. I know he understands everything I say as his speech and understanding is extremely good. It does not seem like lack of impulse control to me, it seems like he is just doing it...
Bleugh - I need to work this out as it is draining. What activities can I try to stop the whole boredom thing which then leads to destructive behaviour. None of the other 2 year olds I see seem bored!  :P

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
Re: very bright, bored or what? Aaagh!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 16:58:43 pm »
{{{HUGS}}} Becky, I'm so there right now too, and so incredibly frustrated :'( They're literally from one thing to the next, and it's been raining and cold for days now. Today they woke E up after only 45 mins and then fought and screamed with each other while I tried to extend her nap. Needless to say, it didn't work. Like you - clear communication but definitely doing things they know they can't and not just out of lack of impulse control.

I have found that while E naps, taping some packing paper to the kitchen table and putting out glue, markers and assorted craft stuff. I have their attention long enough to explain maybe one letter and possibly have them try and then that's it.

We go to playgrounds as often as I can, and they happily climb things meant for 5 year olds. I think they would really enjoy reading if they could focus instead of get bored. Lego holds them the longest at 1/2 hour on a good day. There's a good series on now called 'Role play' where kids act out what animals are doing and the girls are really getting into it. I'm thinking of downloading some yoga or kids exercises or something in an attempt to focus them while doing something physical kwim?

I wish I could offer you more, but know that you're not alone :) {{{HUGS}}}
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 17:09:36 pm »
aaah, thank you hun. I swear parenting this kid makes me feel so lonely sometimes. He does like play-doh until he thinks it is funny to eat it and huge chunks too. Painting is just a nightmare, I mean yes it is messy and that is fine but he paints all over himself and then tries to paint his toys etc - I can't hack it atm, no fun. He is very physical and we do go out and about a lot. There just does not seem to be anything he is happy to do at home.

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 17:18:40 pm »
DH let me know he wasn't coming home for lunch and I almost cried because I could really use another adult to vent to today.

I've since discovered that markers are much easier to contend with. They can't eat them - D tried :o. They don't break in half causing a tantrum and aren't nearly as messy as paints. They wipe off with a Mr Clean Magic Ereaser and while I have to deal with body art, it's the easiest option. Painting is normally a summer thing here although it shouldn't be. It's just easier to hose things off outside. Sidewalk chalk about 5 mins. Bubbles about 5 mins. I'm SERIOUSLY considering a WII or some other type of interactive game. I don't think they're 'gifted' in the textbook sense but they're definitely advanced for their age, creating boredom and acting out. Thankfully they're incredibly gentle with E.

Yk, you can make edible playdoh.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 17:30:10 pm »
Here too.  Listening in for tips.  I honestly cannot entertain this kid.  He's all over the place with everything.  It's great because I know that it's all good and normal and he's exploring and taking in his world but it's a lot of pressure to be constantly required to entertain and come up with things to do for him.  ON the day he didn't nap I wanted to hire the first kid I saw on the street to come and play with him lol

It's temperament too I think Becky.
The tweaking never stops!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 17:49:01 pm »
Henry is being very testing atm. When we are at home he just cruises about...he is not particularly interested in any of his toys, he certainly will not play with any for a second without me but even when I sit with him (and I do) he plays for a minute and then wanders off. All he seems to want to do is watch TV or look at construction machines on the computer or other stuff generally not allowed i.e. pulling things off shelves. It is really starting to do my head in as I dread the day knowing that unless we go out he is just going to hassle me for the TV or the computer. I am not against him watching something but not all the time.

Becky it sounds like you are describing my DS. Seriously.  I do give in a lot to the computer and TV, I have just decided it is a battle I will not fight. If that is what he asks for then I turn it on.  I don't try to turn it off without having something else good to go - so I won't say 'I am turning off the TV and setting up your train set'  but I will set up his train and start playing with it myself, when he comes to join me I will turn of the TV without mentioning it iyswim.  And we do go out, all morning every day.  I have to - we stay inside and I am pulling my hair out by 9am.  In the winter we were out the door by 9sih, now in the summer he is ready to go by 830, which is the same as last summer. And I soooo dread it!  Honestly I want my coffee and my minute to wake up but it is rare!  Rainy days are the worst but we do things like play in the kitchen sink with water or I have a big bucket of rice and lentils (dry!) and I put out a bedsheet and bring his sandtoys in and we play sandtoys together.  Last year and probably until a few months ago I could let him play on his own in the rice for easily 45 minutes, the past 4-6 months it is about 3 minutes.  Just an age/phase I am assuming.

I only started letting DS use the computer in February when I got a new one (old one was too slow for him and frustrating) and so in 2 months he has learned how to open the laptop and turn it on, how to use the touchpad and mouse buttons and how to move the mouse on the screen.  He can open it up, find the internet button, click it, and then go to the bookmarks bar and choose his website and pick a game and play it on his own.  I never expected that for his age!  I paid for a subscription to kneebouncers (I think it was $20 usd so about 12 quid for one year) and have actually found it good as they are adding new games every month and they are for older kids, they use the mouse and are counting and alphabet games.  So he is learning a lot from it and we sit and do them together.  It is a nice feet-up bit of time for me, and he really loves it and when I see the things he has learned from it I am okay with it all!!

Quote (selected)
I am unsure if we have enough toys or whether the toys are at the right level for him. The health visitor did his 2 year check and said he was working at the level of a 3 year old so maybe he just needs more...well I know he does need more but it is a bit overwhelming. I can't just keep buying stuff hoping he will play with it as we don't have endless space or money but atm I feel like we are depriving him as he seems so bored and it is SOOOO draining on me.

We don't really have a lot of toys and I find it is not the quantity but the quality of play he gets with them.  I am really crap at dreaming up games but my DH is amazing at it.  So he has a bucket of plastic food, a small shopping basket and a cash register / till.  When it is me and DS playing whatever it is we play lasts about 3 minutes and he is bored and so am I. The other day DH had DS in sitches laughing and played for like 45 minutes at a shopping game - the food was in DS's bedroom and so was the till but DH was in the living room.  DS had the shopping basket and was DH's personal shopper. DH had the coins and would tell DS that he wanted carrots. DS would take his coins, go to his room, put the money in the till (and make change!) and bring DH his carrots. Ask him what he wanted next.  He went through an entire bucket of fake food - as DH could not remember what was left he would then ask DS to go in, look at the box of food, come back and tell him what was left...so we could hear DS in his room roothing in the bucket and saying 'matoh, mamana, peeze, apple' (tomatoes bananas cheese apples!) and he would come to DH and say 'that shop has matoh, mamana, peeeeeze and....and....and...wait daddy I go one more time....!'  He was having a BLAST, DH was sitting in the living room with his feet up reading a book  ::) and DS just ran back and forth between the rooms.  ME?  Could I EVER have come up with a game like that? No....I just say to DH 'nah, he never plays with his cash register he thinks it's boring.... :-\ '  So for me I definitely find that it is not quantity of toys but quality of game to play with them, kwim?  

Quote (selected)
I need some ideas - what do your 2.5 year olds play with? He has never been that into playing but this is getting ridiculous and I am starting to resent him which I feel so awful about.
Another big one here is a Brio train set.  They are expensive and not long ago I mentally added up all of the pieces we have and the cost of them and nearly choked, as we are tight with money as well. BUT a lot of them have been sent by grandparents and so is not our cash! And the rest are bits and pieces that are added at a time, sort of a fiver here, tenner there. Ebay is a fantastic place to get Brio pieces and there are a lot of different wooden sets that are interchangeable and cheaper.   We debated a train table to put it on but DS likes that it is a different train every time he plays with it and he is learning how to set it up, how to design it, what works well and what does not (ie he will remind me no curved pieces at the bottom of a bridge because the trains go too fast and crash...so his little brain is processing physics and design technology).  

Quote (selected)

Another thing that is happening is that he will do something he knows is not good like throw food off the table or spit lots of water out or pull a flower head off a plant. I make sure I always give him warnings i.e. please do not do that, it is not kind, good manners etc. I then do clearly tell him that if he does it again he will not have his pudding or we will go indoors or whatever it is that I feel is reasonable and then he will look right at me, do it and immediately say sorry. I know he understands everything I say as his speech and understanding is extremely good. It does not seem like lack of impulse control to me, it seems like he is just doing it...

Yep.  Here too.  Again something I have just brushed off as a phase and age of development, combined with a smart kid who likes to challenge and test boundaries.  Rather than him being naughty or anything like that.  I truly do believe it is just a way of finding out if you mean what you say and if what you say will happen will really happen. I have a child who needs to learn by doing and not from being told.  And even worse, mine needs to make sure that it really WILL happen EVERY time it happens.  So I have told him to not try to climb out of his highchair as it will hurt if he falls on the floor - he does it anyway, he gets hurt, and then he does it again, just to see if it really will hurt EVERY time he falls out ::)  I find it harder as he is older to be premptive about everything which I was able to do last summer but I do still try my best.  He is testing limits, looking for consequences, learning and just coming into an age of discovery....that is what I try to tell myself!

I think it comes down to needing a non-stop stimulating environment.  My DS wakes up in the mornings saying 'hi mommy you have good sleep i have good sleep i eat cereal for my breakfast i get my own milk you want milk in your hot coffee mama daddy made hot coffee daddy careful that coffee hot...oH!! i hear a bird,mama you hear a bird i think that is a black bird maybe it an owl HI OWL!! you have nice sleep owl!?  mama today i go swimming pool, here my floats you get swim suit on and pack my snack we not miss bus today mama i hear airplane where my cereal mama you finish your coffee now so we go swim pool? where daddy go? daaaadddy daddy where you hiding shhh shhhh mama daddy hide we look daddy, daddy in here no daddy in bed, oh i know daddy in bathroom do big stink poo...hi daddy i find you! i scare you daddy? you have shower daddy, hurry we go swim pool, we go now daddy, we not miss the bus......."  Seriously.  And I'm standing in front of the coffee pot with my head in my hands because it is 7:04am and the kid has only been awake for 90 seconds.    ::)  

I guess I always figured the older he got the LESS he would need from me but it is the opposite - the older he gets the more challenges he needs, the more stimulation, the more brain work, the more testing of rules and boundaries, the more everything.  I am really sad to be handing him over to the school system in a few months but honestly he NEEDS it. His kindergarten has kids aged 3, 4 and 5 in the same classroom and I think the challenges of being with older kids will he amazing for him and he will really enjoy it.  It will give him things that I can not give him - (painting being one of those things, LOL, DH and I were just talking about it yesterday actually and I was saying it is a road I am not going down, he can paint his classroom all he wants but he is not doing it with me!!) - and stimulate his body, his mind, his emotions and everything else.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 17:50:51 pm by Mashi »

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 18:00:14 pm »
Wow how did we all produce the same child and marry the same husbands lol  DH is GREAT at playing with him, they never seem to get bored and they laugh their heads off.  Me - not so much.  I'm a different kind of fun (is how I like to phrase it lol).

TOTALLY agree about the needing more the older they get, the word 'mommy' is like a mantra in our house.  I hear it a zillion times a day, sometimes it's as simple as to show me 'look, a bug'.  He's so fascinated by everything and he NEEDS to share it.  He needs so much input from me I feel like a robot.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 18:25:31 pm »
yes to everything...def the DH bit. It makes me feel crap though like I have zero imagination.
Just had the most awful bathtime I think we have ever had. Hair wash which is normally totally fine but he now wants to do it. I told him to be careful and not put the shampoo near his eyes and so he pulls it from the top of his head where I put it into his eyes. Cue crazy child. I had to leave the room at one point as he was just screaming 'get out' and trying to climb out which is not easy for me to deal with atm. I went back to him and DH and tried to rinse it out and he was just screaming. Awful, really upsetting for me and him. Took him ages to calm down even with me just sitting and holding him tight and ssshing. Uggh, I feel very incompetent atm. He is so spirited and tricky BUT so sensitive too and that really makes me sad because he pushes and pushes and I follow through with consequences and he just gets SO sad but it is like kiddo, there have to be boundaries, there just have to be.
We ended up in the minor injuries unit about a month ago as he touched a hot pan which I had told him clearly 3 times not to touch and he KNOWS not to touch it. Like you Mashi I said to DH that he is a kid who just has to learn by doing as me telling him not to do something means nothing.
Mashi - up and ready to go by 8.30am - this is us. I am barely alive and he is asking me how a hot air balloon works. He woke up this am and was calling 'mummy, i have a question for you' which was repeated for 20 minutes.
At least I am not alone - wish I was better at dealing with it though. So hard :(

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 18:31:39 pm »
I also feel I am isolating myself from the few friends I have in this area as I can't run after him when we are out and about due to the pregnancy and I walk on eggshells around other kids as H can run faster, climb higher, demand more, essentially wear me out so play dates are not much fun due to him being a handful.

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 19:47:25 pm »
Hugs Becky, couldn't read and not post. I am having a testing time with Alex atm too, although for different reasons. He is glued to me. Literally clinging on to me All. Day. I can't do anything. Goes mental if anyone else tries to help him or play with him. Screaming No like you daddy, go way, I want mummy do it. All. The. Time. Oh and night times too, a 3hr nw the last 2 nights. Nice.
But this is your topic, not mine, so I will stop moaning, and send you some more hugs  ;)
 :-*
Xxx
]

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 20:50:52 pm »
so I read all of your post and realized that you could have been talking about my dd and she is not yet 2!!!!  I find her to be exhausting b/c really she is impossible to entertain unless we are out constantly and that is just not possible in the real world. She has just finished emptying out the pantry as I tried to get dinner ready. Fun fun!

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 20:57:15 pm »
hehe  It's an epidemic!

F also needs so much other people stimulation.  He requires major one to one at daycare and also anybody who drops by our home gets dragged in.  Our neighbour came by the other day and F was in the backyard beckoning him into DH's workshop, 'come, come here' and kept at him until the guy would come into the yard and workshop. 

If my mom comes over she's not allowed to go to the bathroom either so I don't feel so bad lol  It doesn't seem to matter to him who is there as long as someone is going 'yes F that's a bug, what a great bug' when he points to it lol  He often doesn't even want me to play with his toys, he'll say 'no mommy no' but he insists that I 'sit down, sit down mommy' and watch him play.

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 06:16:50 am »
Yes Wendy I have to watch him play some of the time and comment on his running commentary.  And I get told to sit there, RIGHT THERE, and don't touch this touch that, and look here and blah blah blah.  It is hilarious!

Becky, it is not something that I get down or sad about....there really is not much you can do about it, and to be totally honest I am realising now how boring life would be if I'd given birth to the little angel girl who wanted to sit pretty and stick stickers and colour all day (you know, what I *thought* I was getting when I agreed to this pregnancy malarky!).  I would not limit yourself to not seeing other people, it is just a matter of you and him needing to work within it.  Make playdates for your back garden where he is fenced in and contained, perhaps get a small trampoline and let him jump some energy out - my DS will jump for an hour and as long as I am watching him and commenting every now and again he is happy.  Friends of ours have one of these in their living room (and it is a small flat!) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Galt-America-6850008-Folding-Trampoline/dp/B0007VZVGK/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1304057224&sr=1-1   not expensive for the amount of use he will get out of it and still big enough for him to enjoy for a couple of years.

I would not walk on eggshells around other kids, just because your LO is more physical does not mean that you have to be careful - you need to remind HIM to be careful but if you meet up it also does not mean that your LOs have to play together. At this age kids are not really playing together much anyway.  One of the places I meet up with friends, my DS climbs and goes down the slide, the other LO sits and plays sandtoys.  I take DS to the playground alone some times and teach him how to get up on things without help and I know what he can do without supervision versus the things where I have to help him out. And, I have absolutely ZERO problem with reminding him that if he runs off he will go into his buggy, and then following through with it.  Not my problem if he sits in his buggy and screams his heart out while the other LOs play and I chat with other moms. I always remind him that it is his choice - he can stay here and play or he can have the thrill of one good chase and then sit in his buggy the rest of the morning.  He ran off twice in a month and both times got strapped into his buggy where he sat and cried for an hour (I give him cars and snacks) and then we went home.  He had to do it a second time just to see if the same thing would happen, now he has learned!

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 06:35:29 am »
I have BTDT and I would definitley say this is a combination of boredom and yet they don't have the concentration to stick to a toy/game for long, my remedy wa to get outside as much as possible, for some reason dd could entertain herself for hours out there! Even the behaviour stuff like spilling water etc sound dlike they are done out of boredom, "let's see what happens"  :P I don't think it is a case of buying more toys because actually what I did realise is that once L got into toys and especially pretend play (I was so lucky she loved this early!) she could make a toy out of anything. If he is working at the level of a 3 yo he could really be craving some peer company.

Do you have a garden? If so I think it could be your best friend if you have a sandpit/digging spot, a big bucket of water and paint brushes and a tent then he could probably amuse himself for hours. I must say daycare saved me, whenj L was 2 yrs 4 months, she started and for her it was the perfect time, I just wasn't able to give her what she craved anymore being a bright, energetic, social spirited type, do you think Henry would like a few hours at nursery? It would be time for you to recharge too, it certainly made the time I was with Leorah much more enjoyable, we started to appreciate each other more  :)
Katt

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 06:43:33 am »
I made almost $500 last year selling toys that my boys had... most of which hardly every got played with. Now we have ONE half full tub with a few activities in it inside the house & THREE tubs with balls/bats etc outside ... at the moment I have an extra boy over & they are "wrestling". IMHO very few boys seem to need toys, they need to be active!!

I don't remember much about when DS1 was 2.5yo & when DS2 was it was a completely different ball game, but I do remember with DS1 he watched WAY WAY too much TV (& then stopped watching it at about 4.5yo... to start again at about 6, but only watching sporting games)

With the TV/computer I decided on a simple rule for me "If I can't offer my child an option they are happy with (they would always choose going to a park over computer) then I had to accept that it was going to be more TV than I wanted" ... like I said now they are older TV is less of an issue, because they need far far less supervision & so can play outside lots & they do (except now we have too much rain) Some things that did help when I didn't want then to watch TV were getting them help cooking, help cleaning & sorting.

My saving grace when I was heavily preg with DS2 or when DS2 was a baby was the few parks with fences around that we could keep him within, going on train trips... he LOVED them & indoor play places.

Oh just remembered the best thing we did was to set up obstecle courses in the house, piles of pillows to climb over, chairs to crawl under, stepping stones, baskets to toss socks into etc.  Also things like a couple of bowls of dry pasta seemed to occupy better than any toy. There was one famous moment (I posted on her & got many a laugh) when Ds2 was a baby where I let DS1 play with a cup of flour... 3 hours of play... 1 hour to clean up... good value to me ;)
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 07:04:33 am »
The only thing that kept Scotty occupied at that age was a good train set. Where he could be adventurous with the tracks and some trains were battery-powered.

The second favourite thing is one of those play carpets, you know the ones with the streets, etc?

Hugs, sounds very frustrating.

Offline speechie

• Showing Appreciation 303
  • 7 years of spirited bliss!
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 07:37:08 am »
hugs girls! you are so not alone. If your LO is working at a 3 yo level andthey are 2 yo- they need more advanced toys/games,...I speak from experience :)

I have to run but here are a few ideas for indoors stuff to do-

smear shaving cream all over the walls of the tub/shower and let them fingerpaint in it

open your canned/boxed good pantry- give them bags, let them shop

empty egg carton, dry rice/beans, scoops, measuring cups, spices, things you don't mind letting them use/waste, for play while youwork in the kitchen.

Nick's got a K-2 level math game on the computer- the preK one bored him LOL.

It's gotten easier now that he's older, he's settling a bit.
LOL at the nonstop early AM chatter, Mashi- SAME here...

FWIW, I've given him broken stuff and screwdrivers to putter with from 14 mos- he LOVES to 'fix' stuff....
Cathie
                Nick spirited angel, born August 2, 2007

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 07:38:42 am »
its so frustrating isnt it!!!

I find that even if i do find something hes interested in, it may only hold his attention for half an hour or so and then I have to be more imaginative to find other things during the day, however Im so strict on TV because I find with Caleb that the more time he spends in front of the tv, the more he needs in other areas to make up for that time spent there. I dont get why that is but it just is, so TV can actually make more work for me.
we dont have alot of toys because they dont get played with much. Hes more interested in people, so when people come over they get dragged around too, I try to find other kids to play with him but everyones pretty busy with their own stuff. He loves daycare and looks completely "filled up" most days when he comes home from there.

Im looking at getting one of those trampolines as well! and yes trains do keep him pretty occupied too, but again only for so long.

water play is a good one for us, I put him on the lino floor with towels on the floor, give him a few bowls of water (some of them I colour using food dye) give him some small containers and he happily pours it all back and forth, making different colours.
other than that, im sticking around for some more ideas lol

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 08:51:56 am »
thanks for the ideas. Yes he is an outdoor kid and yes he spends a lot of time outside - most of my friends are shocked when they come over in February and H is digging in the mud but hey - he is occupied and happy. We are lucky to have a big garden and he has a sandpit with all his construction toys in and a water table and various ride on toys, even a patch of earth which is just for him to dig and make a mess with. We cannot always be outside though and even there he starts really well and after a little bit starts wanting to dig up my plants etc.
He does go to nursery for 2 short mornings and it has been fantastic tbh. It has def been great for him and he does need it, particularly atm when I just cannot do as much. He has had a month off though for the various holidays we have had.
He is not bothered in train sets at all. Yesterday I got it out and acted excited about setting it up but he was not at all interested.
He is a people person, he has quite a few adult 'friends' locally who know him and really seem to love him as he is so chatty with them although it can get a bit much. When I go out to a park for example he will often find a man and just hassle him non-stop to talk and play with him i.e. 'watch me man' - got to laugh! :)
Anyway he is a great kid and we are lucky to have him. I think a big part of this is that he is developing and growing so fast and he needs more than I can physically do for him atm iykwim. I can't run, jump, climb, catch him when he wants to go down the pole in the park, push the buggy up hills - you get the picture....but it will pass. I guess I am an active person too and being this pregnant with a super spirited kid feels like a disability and is hugely frustrating.
Thanks for listening - it really helps...

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 09:52:36 am »
When I go out to a park for example he will often find a man and just hassle him non-stop to talk and play with him i.e. 'watch me man' - got to laugh!

Made me laugh as leorah does this though it can be a man or woman, she will chat to anyone  :P

I am moving this to Activity as there are so many great suggestions on here about keeping our LOs entertained  :)
Katt