Author Topic: very bright, bored or what? Aaagh!  (Read 4617 times)

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 07:04:33 am »
The only thing that kept Scotty occupied at that age was a good train set. Where he could be adventurous with the tracks and some trains were battery-powered.

The second favourite thing is one of those play carpets, you know the ones with the streets, etc?

Hugs, sounds very frustrating.

Offline speechie

• Showing Appreciation 303
  • 7 years of spirited bliss!
Re: very bright, bored or what? Aaagh!
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 07:37:08 am »
hugs girls! you are so not alone. If your LO is working at a 3 yo level andthey are 2 yo- they need more advanced toys/games,...I speak from experience :)

I have to run but here are a few ideas for indoors stuff to do-

smear shaving cream all over the walls of the tub/shower and let them fingerpaint in it

open your canned/boxed good pantry- give them bags, let them shop

empty egg carton, dry rice/beans, scoops, measuring cups, spices, things you don't mind letting them use/waste, for play while youwork in the kitchen.

Nick's got a K-2 level math game on the computer- the preK one bored him LOL.

It's gotten easier now that he's older, he's settling a bit.
LOL at the nonstop early AM chatter, Mashi- SAME here...

FWIW, I've given him broken stuff and screwdrivers to putter with from 14 mos- he LOVES to 'fix' stuff....
Cathie
                Nick spirited angel, born August 2, 2007

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 07:38:42 am »
its so frustrating isnt it!!!

I find that even if i do find something hes interested in, it may only hold his attention for half an hour or so and then I have to be more imaginative to find other things during the day, however Im so strict on TV because I find with Caleb that the more time he spends in front of the tv, the more he needs in other areas to make up for that time spent there. I dont get why that is but it just is, so TV can actually make more work for me.
we dont have alot of toys because they dont get played with much. Hes more interested in people, so when people come over they get dragged around too, I try to find other kids to play with him but everyones pretty busy with their own stuff. He loves daycare and looks completely "filled up" most days when he comes home from there.

Im looking at getting one of those trampolines as well! and yes trains do keep him pretty occupied too, but again only for so long.

water play is a good one for us, I put him on the lino floor with towels on the floor, give him a few bowls of water (some of them I colour using food dye) give him some small containers and he happily pours it all back and forth, making different colours.
other than that, im sticking around for some more ideas lol

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 08:51:56 am »
thanks for the ideas. Yes he is an outdoor kid and yes he spends a lot of time outside - most of my friends are shocked when they come over in February and H is digging in the mud but hey - he is occupied and happy. We are lucky to have a big garden and he has a sandpit with all his construction toys in and a water table and various ride on toys, even a patch of earth which is just for him to dig and make a mess with. We cannot always be outside though and even there he starts really well and after a little bit starts wanting to dig up my plants etc.
He does go to nursery for 2 short mornings and it has been fantastic tbh. It has def been great for him and he does need it, particularly atm when I just cannot do as much. He has had a month off though for the various holidays we have had.
He is not bothered in train sets at all. Yesterday I got it out and acted excited about setting it up but he was not at all interested.
He is a people person, he has quite a few adult 'friends' locally who know him and really seem to love him as he is so chatty with them although it can get a bit much. When I go out to a park for example he will often find a man and just hassle him non-stop to talk and play with him i.e. 'watch me man' - got to laugh! :)
Anyway he is a great kid and we are lucky to have him. I think a big part of this is that he is developing and growing so fast and he needs more than I can physically do for him atm iykwim. I can't run, jump, climb, catch him when he wants to go down the pole in the park, push the buggy up hills - you get the picture....but it will pass. I guess I am an active person too and being this pregnant with a super spirited kid feels like a disability and is hugely frustrating.
Thanks for listening - it really helps...

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 09:52:36 am »
When I go out to a park for example he will often find a man and just hassle him non-stop to talk and play with him i.e. 'watch me man' - got to laugh!

Made me laugh as leorah does this though it can be a man or woman, she will chat to anyone  :P

I am moving this to Activity as there are so many great suggestions on here about keeping our LOs entertained  :)
Katt