Author Topic: Teats to Sippy cup for milk...suggestions?  (Read 1843 times)

Offline gormella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Teats to Sippy cup for milk...suggestions?
« on: April 28, 2011, 18:44:19 pm »
Hello

So my DD is 13 months and drinks her morning and bedtime milk from her Tommee Tippee regular teat bottles still.  She drinks water with meals and when out and about from her hard spout sippy cup.  Trouble is that she chokes/coughs and splutters on the water most times as it comes out quite fast as there is no valve and she's still learning how much she can take in her mouth at once.  The spluttering doesnt seem to bother her too much and she still uses the sippy everyday but Im reluctant to give her this cup at morning or bedtime (especially bedtime) as its a lovely cuddly relaxed time and I dont want her to be coughing and choking etc. just before bed. 

So, should I buy another bottle for bedtime to help wean her off the baby teat bottle. Something with a soft spout perhaps, or will that confuse her maybe and be taking as step back after we have successfully got her onto the hard spout?  Or should I just keep her on the baby teats until we actually just wean her off bedtime milk full stop?  I read somewhere that she should not be 'sucking" liquid out at her age.  I also dont want to use the same cup for water and for milk either so she knows the difference. 

I have done some bottle research and there are lots and lots of options.  The Nuby straw sipper bottle seems popular as does the Born Free.  Presumably the different stages (1,2,3) just refer to the age of the child and shape of the teat.

Anyone got any insight please as to what might be best?

Many thanks!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Teats to Sippy cup for milk...suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 23:28:30 pm »
I would definitely not get a new bottle. There are many varieties of cups out there so it sounds like it's just a matter of finding the right one :)  We started with a straw cup; it was the only thing he could manage for a while.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 00:40:34 am »
I would definitely not get a new bottle. There are many varieties of cups out there so it sounds like it's just a matter of finding the right one :)  We started with a straw cup; it was the only thing he could manage for a while.

Totally agree on all counts! :D  We still do mostly straw sippies over here. 
*Kate*

Offline lilybug25

• Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 01:14:15 am »
I would strongly suggest Nuby, I started at 8 months with my daughter. I started stage 1 ( more like a bottle nipple then a sippy) then moved to stage 2 (soft straw) now I use normal sippy cups, any kind. Also depending on the day she could use all 3  different sippy cups in one day LOL.
Stage 1 Nuby are prefect for goodnight cuddles with no spilling and stage 2 soft straw good for morning drink also no spilling and they can just drink it all down with no choking.
I just went with the stages and went to the next one when she was ready, I had my daughter 100% off bottles at 13 months by using Nuby's stages.
HTH

Offline gormella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 07:46:29 am »
Thanks all, when I said get another bottle, I wasn't talking about a teat bottle, I meant like a cup/beaker/bottle with a soft spout or straw, I will look at the Nuby straw bottle.

:)

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 17:27:22 pm »
Thanks all, when I said get another bottle, I wasn't talking about a teat bottle, I meant like a cup/beaker/bottle with a soft spout or straw, I will look at the Nuby straw bottle.

:)

Gotcha.  I have the Thermos straw sippy and the Safe Sippy, both of which are hits.  Not sure if you can get them over there, though...

GL!
*Kate*

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 04:08:14 am »
LOL! Funny how sometimes words mean totally different things in different places.
Jessica

Offline gormella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 07:52:10 am »
Thanks ladies for the replies and advice! 

Interestingly, at a children's party yesterday my DD was offers a carton of drink with a straw which I helped her drink and she took to the straw almost instantly, so I will definitely opt for a straw cup next. 

Xx

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 17:49:17 pm »
Great!!
Jessica