Author Topic: 8mo bored and frustrated. Help with activity...  (Read 2220 times)

Offline pixelbox

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8mo bored and frustrated. Help with activity...
« on: April 29, 2011, 16:29:25 pm »
Hi,
My 8mo DS is at a stage where he is rolling a lot and learning to crawl. In the past week, it seems that he gets more and more frustrated and would whine all day long. He gets really frustrated when he can't reach a toy because he can't crawl forward yet. He may also be going through separation anxiety and needs me to constantly play / entertain him. However, he seems to get bored of one activity really quickly. For example, I would read to him and 5 secs later, he would whine. He used to like his jumperoo and it's helpful because I can leave him in there for 10 min while I fix his meals, but now he would whine if I am not entertaining him (eg. doing jumping jacks, peek-a-boo...etc) while he is in there.

The only time he is quiet is during meal time or wind-down time (when I put him in my carrier). Is this a stage that he's going through? Are there any activities that you could recommend for an extremely active kid? I love playing with him but frankly, I am getting physically exhausted (can't be doing jumping jacks 8 hours a day lol). Also, can you recommend activities that would encourage or teach him to crawl? Somehow I feel that he will be less frustrated once he is more mobile.

Thanks!

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
Re: 8mo bored and frustrated. Help with activity...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 17:32:00 pm »
I think the whining is probably due to frustration like you said.  My DS did the same thing for awhile before he learned to crawl.  It can certainly drive you a little batty.  It will pass though.  (My DS is going through a very whiny phase now and I wonder if it is because he is trying to walk...it also may be a touch of separation anxiety).  Once my DS learned to crawl, the whininess disappeared because he was so entertained by crawling, sitting himself up, and then playing with a toy. 
I definitely tried to help him along with crawling (as the whininess became too much!).  I would sometimes sit him down and I would crawl around the floor so he could watch (this was kind of funny).  Or he would be rocking back and forth on all fours and I would try to show him how to move his arms and legs.  Or I would put a toy out of reach to see if he would try to get it.  None of those things really worked for us.  The one thing that worked -- and I can't be sure if it was coincidence and he was just ready to crawl that day or if this really did it -- was putting my laptop or cell phone on the floor.  The first time he crawled it was to my laptop! I'm not sure if your DS has the same love for cell phones and/or computers that mine does, but if so, that may just entice him to do it!

Hang in there with the whining - peace and quiet (or at least more peace and quiet) is just around the corner!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline emily3434

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 15:09:58 pm »
We are at 8 months as well, and can relate!!  DS is not interested in toys at the moment. He just wants to move around the house and explore.  I try to move him to different rooms in the house so he gets a fresh scenery.  I have taken away toys periodically, then switched them out so he doesn't get sick of looking at the same things.  He seems most fascinated in pots and pans, and cups at the moment :)  anything to keep the whining down!!  Have you heard of the wonder weeks??  you can google it.  Let me know if you don't find it and I can try to email it to you.  I fould it very helpful! From what I understand, they have done research on these periods of whininess in children that they refer to as the wonder weeks.  I'd have to look, but I think 34-37 weeks was a fussy period (which we are in the middle of!!)  We also have some teeth coming in, so he is VERY clingy!  good luck!

Offline pixelbox

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 19:27:27 pm »
Hi Emily,
Thank you for the idea of moving him to a different room. It helps a little. I've also grabbed things around the house and switch them up every few minutes. I have heard of and read the Wonder Weeks website. Thanks! I'm hoping that the clinginess and the whining is just a temporary phase.

Other people have told me that I spend too much time playing with DS and not give him the opportunity to develop independent play skills. Do you know how long of an independent play time I can expect from an 8mo?

Offline M2M

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 19:50:09 pm »
I'm going to check out the wonder weeks website too.  It helps right now, when I need to get things done, is her walker.  She loves it.  We are on a one level house and she can have the run of the kitchen, lol.

Offline emily3434

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 20:37:10 pm »
as far as independent play....I'm not sure, but I imagine it depends a little on parenting style and temperment of the child.  I try and leave DS to play for 20 min in the morning after he nurses (so I can get ready for the day) he does fine playing in his room.  we have done this since he was very young .  I usually try to give him play time after every milk feed - but of course with teething etc. sometimes that all goes out the window! :)

Offline ~Sara~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 20:54:43 pm »
Do you know how long of an independent play time I can expect from an 8mo?
From what I remember of DS being that age, he could be twins with yours!!  I think a few minutes here and there is pretty good for independent play.  Emily, that you're getting 20 is fabulous! :D

You can try to build it gradually, a couple of minutes at a time...it will be a long process and part of it all is just them being able to entertain themselves.  Only within the past couple of months has DS truly started independent play for long chunks of time (20 minutes), where he'll play with his cars by himself or his trains.

Just wait until they're fully mobile and follow you everywhere, *ahem* the bathroom!
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline pixelbox

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 21:07:25 pm »
Sara, congratulations on your second LO.

Thank you for all your responses. I was beginning to feel a little bad when I saw your post, Emily. 20min of independent play! That's so awesome... I could only dream :) . Sara, you're right, I'll just have to build it up gradually. Usually I will be close-by (doing dishes, having my lunch, preparing his food etc) while DS plays. But after 1min or so, he'll start to whine. When I go to him, he'll be all giggles again. I think part of it is because he's not completely mobile yet. He'll get so frustrated when he bounces his ball too far and he can't reach for it. I've also started to be more consistent in teaching him to sign, hopefully this will help down the road.

Any other suggestions on activities is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline emily3434

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 19:15:00 pm »
didn't mean to make you feel bad!!!!!  I had no idea 20 min. wasn't average!  My LO was very mobile very early, so I do feel like that helped him be more independent since he could move around and explore.  Good luck!!  I think perhaps taking baby steps, first trying to entertain him when he whines without picking him up if you can.  he will grow out of it - I'd say, enjoy it while he loves your cuddles!! :)