Author Topic: Tracy's interview - Short naps & Pu/Pd  (Read 783 times)

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Tracy's interview - Short naps & Pu/Pd
« on: May 04, 2011, 19:45:50 pm »
I have a question about something Tracy says:

Q:  So let’s talk this all they way through in the form of a scenario:  You have a baby who is on a 3 ½ to 4-hour schedule, who has woken at 7am, and gone down for a nap at 9am.  Say he wakes after 45 minutes, at 9:45am, and it’s not a growth-spurt or hunger that’s driving the waking.  The next time he’s supposed to eat is, say 10:30am on the early end.  So from 9:45 to 10:30 is only 45 minutes.  Are you going to then do pu/pd until it’s time to feed?

T:  Yes.  And then you might find that he’s dropping off to sleep as he’s eating, so you’d do what we mentioned earlier, keep him up for 10 minutes after eating, and then go for the nap.  Now, if he isn’t dropping off but is awake, then only give him a half-hour or so awake time.  Because he’s going to be extremely tired, and then you’re never going to get him down because he’s overtired. 

This is my son completely! So I just started this process and today I got him to go down for the first nap and it lasted 30 min. Then he woke up. I did PU/PD again and he went back down after 20 minutes - slept for 15. Then I got him to go down again after 3 minutes and currently sleeping. When he wakes up and I do his next feeding, should I do as Tracy suggests above and only keep him up for 30 minutes before next nap? Or if he sleeps for another 45-1.00 can we just do our regular EASY? Does that make sense?

Thanks!
Katie

Offline elmarie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 263
Re: Tracy's interview - Short naps & Pu/Pd
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:03:46 am »
How old is your LO?

Yes, it he hasn't had a proper nap you need to reduce the A time to avaoid OTness.  So if his A time is usually 2h and he only had a 45min nap instead of a 1.5h nap-make his A time shorter with 45min.  rather adjust the rest of his day instead of having an OT baby....