Author Topic: ED and soy oil and soy lethicin  (Read 1463 times)

Offline lesliemarie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
« on: May 09, 2011, 00:21:30 am »
I had a question about EDs and soy oil and soy lethicin.  I have been eliminating all dairy and soy from my diet for a couple of weeks now.  It is actually quite easy to get rid of the dairy but the soy seems to be much harder.  it is in everything.  I'm wondering if it soy oil and soy lethicin are actually OK since it is the protein I believe that affects babies who are MSPI.  Am I correct about this? 

DD is currently on Neocate and the third ingredient is soy oil.  She is much better now that she is on Neocate so I assume that the soy oil is OK.  Just for a bit of background about the ED.  I'm currently trying to relactate so that I can give DD expressed breastmilk rather than formula.  The Neocate here is not covered by prescription and costs about $650 per month.
My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: ED and soy oil and soy lethicin
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 20:49:27 pm »
Bumping for you. I am sure I have seen some info on this somewhere but wouldn't like to comment on it for you as I am not sure!

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 02:57:27 am »
hiya,
well i have been told both :-\ my gp and hv told me avoid soy oil and soy lecithin but my dietician and paed said it was very unlikely that he would react to them (he has multiple food intolerances which includes soy) as even LOs with soy allergies are often fine on these. reason being as you said, the oil and lecithin are so highly refined that the protein is very broken down. (how's that for confusing!)

i did avoid it for the first two months of the ED tho as wanted to get him stable before messing with anything.

interesting that you have soy oil in neocate as it's not listed on my LOs neocate??? i'm in australia, where abouts are you?

Offline lesliemarie

• Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 03:08:09 am »
Well that is weird.  I'm in Canada.  It is the third one.  It goes corn syrup solids, high oleic safflower oil, refined vegetable oil (coconut, soy).  I'm really still working on trying to increase supply at the moment after not breastfeeding for 6 months.  I'm only up to an ounce and a half a day and have been on Domperidone and Fenugreek and pumping for 2.5 weeks now.  Although I didn't start on a proper dose of the Domperidone until two weeks ago.  I'm starting to lose hope a little.  Oh well, it says to try the Domperidone for 4-6 weeks before you know if it will work for you or not so I've got a few weeks left.   :-\
My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 03:50:36 am »
hugs hun, it did take a full 5 weeks on domperidone for my supply to really hit its highest. will DD still latch on or not interested? you may also wish to do a new thread asking if anyone knows how to get neocate on prescription or insurance in canada, you never know what loopholes mummies here have come across before. were you getting it on script before or having to pay the whole time?

also which ED are you on? as depending which one, you may need to try adding more good (tolerated) fats into your diet to help milk production. a post on the bf board could be useful to you on supply increasing ideas too, i'm pretty sure there's some stickies at the top of the bf page about it too :-*

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 07:20:19 am »
I have been told (by allergy paed) that soy oil and soy lecithin are fine because as you say it's the proteins that are the problem. I've heard it's possible but highly unlikely to react to them.

This is a thread from a popular allergy board where I am that talks about it: http://www2.everybody.co.nz/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1958290/Searchpage/2/Main/53342/Words/soy+lecithin/Search/true/Re_Soy_Lecithin_and_Soy_Allerg#Post1958290

Hope that helps
Jenny - mama to