Author Topic: Baby dropping in curve  (Read 1167 times)

Offline besjoux

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: May 02, 2011, 13:51:17 pm »
C is 10 1/2 months old and still dropping on the curve. He started in the 25 -50% at 3 1/2 months and now he's at the 7th%. He is very happy and active but he's following the same trend as my other son and we did need an intervention. He eats what we eat 3x's a day and is given 2 snacks. I am going to call his doctor again but I wanted to know what else I can do. I have little faith in my doctor. In fact, I am thinking of moving to a family practice. He gets 2 bottles a day and will devour 8-9 oz and then he BF's 2 other times a day. I think he only takes a 3 oz those times. Since he was 4 months old he was just too busy to breastfeed and wants to look out (which is hard to do bfing). So the bottles have helped a ton. I would estimate that he gets about 22-24 oz of BM a day.

Below are some of the foods that he eats....
he is offered fruit after every meal because we also have constipation isses
breakfast
yo baby -1 container
1 egg and toast with jam
french toast 1/2 slice bread

lunch
homemade pizzas with beggies
grilled cheese with veggies on the side
avocado (he eats 1/2 of a 1/2) with a slice of sandwich meat

dinner
whatever we are having

snacks include
goldfish
grahm crackers

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
Re: Baby dropping in curve
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 14:11:31 pm »
well if even my 4 yr old as much as your 10.5 mo eat I would be shocked..seriously your LO is eating well and I would not worry about it. A lot of kids slow down at some point around when they become mobile, mine did...
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline besjoux

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 15:35:27 pm »
is dropping in the curves ok then? I don't worry about slowing down so much as he's dropped in % (curve). I definetly don't want a fat baby but between the constipation and the drop in % I was concerned.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 15:55:57 pm »
My son dropped down curves from about 10 months - he was 50th born, went up to the 75th and then slowly dropped down until he got to the 9th at one point and is now around the 25th.

He was seeing a pead for his reflux and certainly wasn't eating much or taking much milk. The pead wasn't concerned at all (unlike me ::)) he said that children beging to settle where they are gentically supposed to be around 1 year, so if you other son did the same then it may be what they are *supposed* to do. I know my DS is in proportion for weight and height and his dad was small and light as a child too.

If he is alert, active, healthy and meeting milestones I'm sure there is nothing to worry about. It's worth thinking about the size of you and his dad too, how does his relative size compare?

Laura

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 16:22:50 pm »
is dropping in the curves ok then? I don't worry about slowing down so much as he's dropped in % (curve). I definetly don't want a fat baby but between the constipation and the drop in % I was concerned.
I don't think you should worry Julie.  Both of my boys dropped significantly and not once did I think it was because they weren't developing properly.  I just think that lots of LOs are predispositioned to be small, no matter what their birth weight.  I tend to grow larger babies (not huge, but not small, and much bigger than you would expect for a tiny girl!).  So because they are a healthy weight at birth, it seems like they've fallen off their curves but really I think that the weights/percentages that they grow into are the 'normal' ones, not their birth ones.  Does that make any sense?

I don't know what percentiles they sit in now, but I do know they are both very small, and very healthy.  ;)  We have friends whose babies are really tiny at birth, but then become these huge porkers before they're toddlers!  I'm sure genetics plays a part as well.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong.  :-*
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 17:43:27 pm »
as an FYI DS2 was born around 20% then shot upto 50/75 in the first 3 months, partially because i think he had no space to grow inside of me, as I am tiny and he was already jutting out as much as he could....now sits at 20% for height and 10% for weight....healthy, alert and fit, Was walking at 9.5 months and at 1 yr, runs, climbs aladder etc etc and gives DS1 a good run for his money!

pur ped said she wants him to continue his curve and sees the inital GS as a spike....key is baby shoud look and act alert and happy.
9 and 6, oh boy!