Author Topic: when did you get rid of the high chair?  (Read 2185 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
when did you get rid of the high chair?
« on: May 06, 2011, 10:12:22 am »
Henry still has a high chair.
I would like to create some space where the high chair is now and also it is just another thing to clean - gets v dirty!

I know it will be much harder to keep him at the table without one and he is also quite messy with his food so no doubt it will be everywhere  ::)

He may be a wee bit small, not much but for things like soup it could be a challenge but I cannot use a booster seat due to the weird height table we have.

Just wondered when your lo's moved out of their high chairs?

thanks

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: when did you get rid of the high chair?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 10:57:51 am »
Over a year ago - he was throwing so much and I tried him in a booster at the table instead - he still can't climb out and he stopped throwing. That was at my Mums house.

I have a stokke HC here and I took the baby set off it a while ago so he has his own big boy chair at the table. We do get the odd issue with him standing up or leaving the table but nothing major.

At restaurants he just kneels on an adult chair.

J isn't a good eater but no amount of preserving with a HC would have helped. I will ditch it as soon as I can with Megan as well as I hate them. They get SO SO yuck  :-X.

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 11:06:00 am »
Ben moved out of his about 8 months ago I think - primarily because he kept getting stuck in it and I struggled to pull him out  :P.  But he would still struggle everyday in a normal chair I think - manages when we're at restaurants - but every day with stuff like cereal I think we'd be in a right mess! 

Is your table too short or too high?
Claire x

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 11:43:00 am »
DS goes through phases about refusing the HC.  We also use Stokke's Tripp Trapp as Liz.  But i find that once we readjusted the height, he would happily go back in it.  His best friend, however, refused to sit in the HC since she's 22mo and they now have a booster seat (those portable out and about ones) and also a children's table.  It might be useful since you are going to have two LOs if not more :D

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 12:19:52 pm »
Matthew started refusing the high chair and booster seat at home a couple weeks ago and he's not even 2 yet! He will sometimes agree to sit in a booster seat at my mom's or SIL's. And usually will agree to a high chair at a restaurant. He's a picky eater to begin with and has a limited appetite so it didn't really affect his eating. Yes it's hard to keep him at the table but we make do! We do plan to get a children's table as well.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 12:20:51 pm »
Murray still uses his highchair but it's one that turns into a table and chair and it has been like that for ages - means we can strap him in if/when he needs but otherwise he can sit down independently, etc.  At my parents house we have a little booster seat and he manages fine.  Don't feel he is (I am!!!) ready to only sit at the table all the time but we do now and again and he manages fine.
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 12:34:49 pm »
T was about 2 when we stopped having him sit in the booster and he would just sit on an adult chair.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 12:40:08 pm »
Wow I can't even remember when we got rid of it! Before 2. Stan just refused to get in it one day, pointing and pointing to the 'grown up' seats, and that was that! He didn't have a booster seat, just sits on top of a couple of cushions on a grown up seat.

But you know, he's always been a pretty good eater (touch wood, touch wood) apart from a few short phases, so if he's getting down from th etable we're usually confident that actually he's not hungry.

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 12:41:13 pm »
Nearly 3yo here, still in it, and no plans to stop using it in the near future!! It is not one of those things that I think there is an 'age' when you stop, it is a matter of what works for your family and your child.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 18:54:02 pm »
thanks. It has gone and he seems fine so far. I only thought today that really we needed to get rid of it as in 3 weeks I am having a c section and will not be able to lift him into the chair anyway.

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 19:42:56 pm »
Saw these today in the ikea catalogue - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10099897 - not sure if it would help as you'd still need to lift him up.  Ugh, I'm going to have to teach Ben how to clamber into his booster before my CS...hadn't even thought about that  ::)
Claire x

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 06:19:54 am »
thanks Claire :) It is when I think about the op that I realise how much I still lift and carry him!
Will take a look.