Author Topic: overwhelmed  (Read 7663 times)

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
overwhelmed
« on: May 05, 2011, 08:26:10 am »
 Finally starting a dairy free trial. Going to do it for a couple of months to see if it xcears up her skin and poops.

So, i am very overwhelmed to say the least. I am figuring I will have to wean her on to the formula as it will probably be rank. My main concern is solids. I home-make most of them using Annabel Karmel (useless in the kitchen...NEED to follow a recipe even for baby food!). What do I do about things that for example have veg saute'd in butter. Can I just use oil?

And for her cereal in the morning. Do I just use the formula or is there some kind of milk I can buy that she can have? Silly questions and there will be a TON more.

NOw that I am doing it I wish I had done it sooner, Now I have to cut out dairy in my diet and hers, it would have been alot simpler to do it with just mine.  :-\

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 08:29:05 am »
hugs, Emma.  I'm sure the other ladies have much more tips to share but in general, saute'ing can be done with oil.  Butter adds flavours.  There are tonnes of alternatives for milk, eg, soy milk, rice milk, almond milk.  I won't offer more tips as I haven't really done it myself.  xx 

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: overwhelmed
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:04:10 am »
lots of hugs

we use pure sunflower spread for baking, etc and oat milk (oatly red writing on carton, with added calcium) - most food turns out fine+tastes fine. Big Tescos stock Oatly (organic one doesnt have calcium).

We started Murray on Neocate when old and he hated it,so mixed in with fruit as smoothie .... now he LOVES the milk by itself

Labels are easy to see now if contain dairy as it is always in the allergy info box (Jammie Dodgers may contain traces of milk, one of few biccies that don't include milk!!). Most flavours of crisps contain milk :(
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 09:14:28 am »
huge hugs Emma,

so sorry you're going through this xxx

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 09:47:10 am »
Hi Emma, I think the key is get yourself stocked up on all the DF alternatives. Are you going soy free too?

Butter and milk are the 2 biggies but both have loads of alternatives readily available. Cheese is the other one and that is much harder to replace. I didn't bother TBH.

Luckily in the UK allergy labelling is good now so easy to find if products contain milk.

There is a sticky with foods that have been recommended. Also a sticky with some meal plans and recipes.

You can use formula in cooking - no probs. Might be a good idea as another way to introduce the taste.

You can fry in oil or DF marg.

Keep them Qs coming. There are loads of threads in this forum from Mums trying this for the first time that you may find useful.

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 10:54:51 am »
I am FURIOUS, absolutely FURIOUS.

So just been gearing myself up for this for the past 2 days. I go to the GP office to pick up the formula and the receptionist tells me that the GP didn't actually think I should have it and gave me a number for the HV. (I had said in my other thread that he was dismissive and couldn't get me out quick enough) The little weasel didn't even have the audacity to say it to my face. I am so angry.

I went through this with B's reflux, back and forth, sleepless nights, being made to feel like an idiot. And now that this is happening I realise that this was the reason I prob put this off for so long ( that and my love for cheese!)

SO I rang the HV ranting and raving and she said she cant come out until next week. I was very upset and told her tomorrow is the latest I want to see someone. They are coming tomorrow morning.

I feel very bogged down by all of this. It doesn't help that I am not sure myself, all I want is a dairy free trial for a couple of months to rule it out.

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 11:39:18 am »
How annoying!! I forgot to mention in last post that Oliver has NEocate for if I need formula and drinks it absolutely fine.  I had a phone appointment with one of the doctors and just asked her to prescribe it as a standby for me as I felt he was having problems with dairy and DS1 is dairy free and takes Neocate - she just asked me to spell it and wrote out prescription.  Phone and get an appointment with a different doctor in the practice.  I am not sure if a HV can prescribe?

Just be confidence saying that you are pretty sure she is having problems and are going dairy free to confirm, and would like Neocate to ensure calcium, etc.  Ready Brek has almost full calcium allowance for the day if it is a big bowlful.  We got referral to paed by doctor as Murray always had dodgy tummy (they were useless but did refer us to dietician who gave ideas of calcium, etc).  She said when we were there this week that ALL children should have vitamins even if on good diet and recommended Abidec (smells odd but Murray takes in - mind you, he likes raw onion, etc!!)

Re cheese - I LOVE(d) cheese too - after a month or so without it I really don't miss it any more and don't like the thought of eating it for some reason (sure that will go once I eat it again).  Once it is out your system it does seem to get rid of the craving.
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 13:41:54 pm »
Emma, I'm sure there are some great HV's out there but I've not come accross one who has any real idea about reflux/allergies/intolerances - I really think you need to call your surgery and ask the Gp to refer you to a paediatrician.  They should refer you no problem, and if not then I think you need to see another GP and ask them.  It is fair enough for a GP to not prescribe something they do not feel comfortable with (although the manner in which yours did it is pretty rough) - but it is NOT ok for them to not refer you on if you feel like there is an ongoing issue that they are not able to help you with.  They really need to refer you to someone with more expertise ((((((()))))). 
Claire x

Offline deckchariot

• Showing Appreciation 361
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 17:55:56 pm »
{{{{{{hugs}}}}}} Emma and grrrrrrrr to your stupid dr and HV :(  I"m on week 4 of dairy free and finding it easier than I imagined.  I do miss the cheese though.  We use almond milk and coconut milk mostly and yes, I do cook with it without any trouble.  I sautee usually in olive oil or dairy free "butter" (but that's a bit pricey, so I don't use it too much), I've also heard that coconut oil is awesome as a butter replacement in cooking, but I've not tried it yet.  Check out the stickies on the forum, loads of good info - especially on "hidden" dairy - because it's in all kinds of things I didn't expect!  Good luck!!
Michelle

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 20:04:11 pm »
I am so sorry you have been treated like that. If your lo was a little older I would give you the neocate advance we have left so you could start your trial. Having said that we live near Manchester so would probably cost a fortune getting it to you, unless you had family or friends in this direction that could bring it to you. I hope your HV is helpful and is able to get the formula prescribed.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 21:14:56 pm »
Shocking! I am so sorry. Hopefully your HV will be more understanding. Just really play up the symptoms - they can't deny you HAF surely??

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 08:40:50 am »
I know in the US if you contact the company who make neocate they will send samples out. It might be worth finding out if they do that in the UK. I really hope the HV works this out for you. It will ultimately come down to cost these kid of things do but that is o reason to refuse the prescription. If it is dairy that is causing your lo's problems then they are refusing her the quality of life she deserves by not giving you a prescription for it. At this point they should be willinng to prescribe enough formula to give it a trial because your lo deserves this chance.

Kelly

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 08:50:45 am »
Well all I want is the chance. I mean I'm not even sure myself if this is the case here but a couple of months ruling it out would mean we could move forward kwim.

Its really hard to push her case when I dont even know that much about and the fact that I am not sure means I get pushed away. I feel the medical professionals should be the ones wanting to get to the bottom of it too.

This is the last place I wanted to be, pushing and pushing.

Thing is the last 2 nights have been fabulous (well by her standards!) and her nappies have been ok aside from a little constiaption). I have been only giving her plain fuit and veg for solids though and ditched that 2nd bottle of formula for the time being. Coincidence?

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 09:14:15 am »
I don't think that its a coincidence to be honest but that is just my opinion of course. It is possible that your lo does not have a dairy issue but it would be good to know one way or the other.

Kelly x
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 12:22:27 pm by Jimbob »

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 09:19:30 am »
I feel the medical professionals should be the ones wanting to get to the bottom of it too.
You probably know about all the issues we had with food with Murray which we have only recently figured out - we were referred to paed and dietician but neither actually helped us find out the issues, just gave advice about how to go dairy free.  I feel that apart from the initial information about hidden dairy etc the appointments are for their benefit and they just listen to what we are saying and check he isn't getting malnourished.

I think that the increase in formula sounds like it could be dairy.  I would say something like "I am pretty sure Dylan has a dairy intolerance because she was gassy as a baby, and since increasing her dairy formula her nappies have been loose, etc etc, and I would like to do a dairy free trial to see.  I thought she had a dairy intolerence as a baby but feel more certain now.  I would like Neocate for a trial period so that I can ensure she is getting enough calcium and other nutrients.  I am going to do a dairy free trial for 3 months (for example) then we can see how she is getting on. Please can you refer me to a dietician/paed for more support".  Just sound confident and don't let them faff you about. It's just for a trial to either confirm or dismiss your instinct.

Fingers crossed.  I can't see why they wont prescribe as you could always go dairy free and just not give her formula which would be worse.