Author Topic: overwhelmed  (Read 7607 times)

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
Re: overwhelmed
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 07:49:38 am »
(((hugs))) Emma

I have been here too.  Went to GP when DS was 4months, as reflux was continuing & he had eczema & facial rashes.  At the time he said it could be milk intolerance but that they didnt usually do anything except just wait for LO's to grow out of it.  I listened to others who said DS was just a fussy baby for several months, then finally plucked up the courage to go back to the GP as since starting solids his reflux & rashes have just gotten worse.  He was reasonably understanding, but I had huge difficulty actually getting a prescription, as he is clearly not well informed about reflux/intolerances and wanted me to put DS on Soy milk.  I said no so he asked me to see the HV & for them to decide which formula he should prescribe me.  HV was clueless too, told me to ask a pharmacist, who said DS just had wind & I should burp him better (the cheek!!!).  I think a lot of health professionals are just ignorant about intolerance issues & dismiss it as wind, fussy baby etc, but they are not the ones living with a baby who is suffering.

I finally got hypoallergenic milk - Aptamil Pepti - as I went back to the GP & specifically asked for that brand.  No-one has checked it is actually suitable for him at all, but at least its enabled us to start a dairy free trial.

His skin rashes have all but gone, his eczema & cradle cap is clearing & he's still a bit sick but not as much.  We ran out of the formula & had to use the old stuff & it all flared up again.  So its proven to me that he's dairy intolerant.

I guess all I am saying is stick to your guns.  You know your LO better than anyone else, if you feel there is something wrong, go back to your GP again, or like pp's have said, ask to see another GP or for a referral to a paediatrician.  I have actually done this too, even though I have the HA formula already, just to make sure DS is given reflux meds if needed & that we are giving the right diet to ensure he gets his calcium requirements.

As for cooking AK recipes - I use her books too - & use 'Pure' sunflower spread - its dairy free & you can get it in Morrisons & I'd guess some other larger supermarkets.  We've also got some 'Oatly' oat milk - its in supermarket with the long life milk - (Tesco sell it).  Not used it in cooking yet but hear its fine.  I make up extra formula to put on his cereal & just add some fruit puree to sweeten it up as its quite bitter.

HTH.xx

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 21:06:57 pm »
Hi Emma how are things going? Any joy with the HV? There is another post at the mo about a GP referring to the HV without prescribing HAF. Odd. My GP referred us straight to the hospital!

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 21:13:25 pm »
Hi Emma how are things going?

Rubbish! Long, gassy NW's and bad skin back.

There is another post at the mo about a GP referring to the HV without prescribing HAF.

This is me. So pee'd off. HV was useless but she can get me a referral to the dietician but has asked that I give it another week. She wanted me to CIO for NW as she thinks D is waking as somehow I am encouraging it.  >:( She basically thinks there is no correlation between her diet, her skin, her gas and her nappies.

Just so despondant about it all.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 21:23:21 pm »
So no one is prescribing HAF?? I have some unopened Nutramigen in the cupboard if you want me to send it to you? The trouble with intolerances is that actually you can't do anything but take out the offending foods.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 21:25:33 pm »
AH it was Shiv...

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=209913.0

SOunds like you are at the same stage.  Some info on there you may find useful about taking dairy out x

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 21:28:03 pm »
 Thanks so much lovely. That is so kind. I am going to wait and see what gives this week. I am just adding dairy to her diet against my better judgement but the HV and GP both seem to think allergies are not at play. I will however be taking her back to see a different GP if things are still the same or worse next week, I was thinking of taking that referral anyways just to see what she says...

Posted at the same time...yep Shiv and I are in the same boat....

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 21:32:00 pm »
Are you adding the dairy to see if she gets worse?? Just re-read the thread and thought you were giving dairy free a go! The offer is there for when/if you are ready but the expiry date is July 11!

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 21:38:36 pm »
 Whats the point in me giving dairy free a go if she still has the formula though? I'll never know if dairy is the issue if she still has it in her formula kwim?

I was made to feel like an over wraught mother just out for a good nights sleep. The HV made out like it was all in my head despite me listing her symptoms off several times. I feel very let down by the health service.

I have had the worst week with it.  :'(  I dont know where else I am supposed to go with it.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 21:42:26 pm »
Of course, sorry Hun. What a pickle. If your mothers instinct tells you it is MPI then let me send you the HAF. a couple of weeks should give some answers.

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 21:47:03 pm »
Dont be sorry lovely.  :-*

I think I am going to ring tomorrow to get a referral. It cant hurt right?

I know this sounds awful but its just dealing with the frustration of no-one listening to you. I feel the GP's etc should want the best and listen to parents valid points and not fob them off. My GP practice received a very cr@ppy complaint letter!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 21:57:51 pm »
Hugs lovely xxx

What is the craic with GP's referring you to the HV so they can talk to you and then refer you back to GP to get a referral to paed and dietician?  Essentially what happened to me today.  Just stalling.  To be fair though my GP did admit it was more than definately dairy intolerance.  Just no follow through. 

There is a really good post on here about symptoms of food intolerance.  I had it written out and highlighted R's symptoms and also had a rough food plan and symptoms for the last few weeks that showed a clear correlation between milk products and R's symptoms.  Maybe being very firm would help. 

If the HV tries to stall me further I'm going straight back to GP to get referral for help with the diet.

I have some unopened Nutramigen in the cupboard if you want me to send it to you? The trouble with intolerances is that actually you can't do anything but take out the offending foods
You could try this!  Means you could take milk out of her diet in terms of solids and give her this formula and then you would know,  You'd have to not BF though if you weren't dairy free.  Or are you not quite there yet?

I just keep thinking about R's wee gut being all annoyed and irritated and I feel so guilty. 

Offline deckchariot

• Showing Appreciation 361
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 01:20:08 am »
oh Emma!!!!!  I'm so sorry you're totally not being listened to.  If you were close, I'd send you to my ped - she's amazing.  I wish you could just get your gp or your hv to just listen to you.  I'd try the d/f formula and go dairy free and see if that helps.  {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}
Michelle

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 07:06:51 am »
Stick to your guns Emma. 

I got sent around in circles by my GP - he was receptive but wouldn't prescribe without HV deciding which milk - HV wouldn't do that - sent me to see a pharmacist - he said wind - so I went back to GP & said I want this brand of milk & luckily he gave it no problems.  No one seems to want to offer help to mums & LO's with these sorts of issues - I too felt like we were being given the brush off & I was made to feel like a neurotic mother who was imagining it all.  But no, now we are dairy free, I can clearly see improvements in my LO.  I would insist on that referral.  & I'd also try the dairy free formula just to see if it makes a difference.xx

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 07:08:57 am »
 I did get very frustrated with the HV and explained to her that I could essentially get the formula anyways and go ahead myself (I think you can get neocate online....). SHe said that would be foolish to do it without supervision. Again making me feel like an idiot and cornering me.

So yesterday she had no hardly any dairy in her diet apart from the formula. Just veggies and fruit for meals. She sttn, well one farty waking. The day before that she had some cauli cheese and a tast of fromage frais and she was up ALL NIGHT. There is no consistancy with her though which makes me question it. I wasnt questioning it yesterday when she had been up all of the night before and a mess all day yesterday ( and not just from the tiredness is my gut feeling) but I question it today when she had an OK night last night.

I am going to ring today for that referral. Wish me luck.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 07:34:12 am »
Good luck xx

Let me know how you get on x