Author Topic: Sleeping habits when we go out?  (Read 2215 times)

Offline feniletilamin

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Sleeping habits when we go out?
« on: April 29, 2011, 14:01:49 pm »
I have a 6 months old DD and nowadays we try to extend 45 min. naps.I close blinds which makes the room totally dark.We are going to holiday at the end of May and I'm afraid that she will not be able to sleep without this darkness.right?Do you have similar experience?
What about evenings?We want to go out for a dinner with our friends and I don't know what to do,there is  nobody to take care of her.She sleeps around 19.30.Can I take her with the stroller after she sleeps?Or what?
I need ideas...

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Sleeping habits when we go out?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 20:42:08 pm »
You can get over the darkness in the room by taking some foil or portable blackout blinds for the windows while you are away.
I think you need to consider the time difference where you are to where you are going. If you can keep her on your current time and it will be later where you are going that might work well.
You can always try to put her to sleep in the stroller and see if she stays asleep while you are out. Most babies I know would wake up though. If she isn't staying asleep you probably need to work your day around her needs unless you want an OT, fussy baby to deal with at each meal out. It isn't really fair on her to expect her to stay up late or sleep while you are out. I couldn't sleep in a noisy, busy restaurant so I wouldn't expect my LO to.
Could you go out for your main meal with your friends at lunch time and eat in for dinner? This is what we did whilst on holiday and it worked great. We were in a hotel and just got dinner delivered to our balcony after DS was asleep in the room (with the video monitor).
HTH
Ali
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline derya82

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 10:48:52 am »
I agree with Cadie's mum. We always take aluminium foil with us and cover the windows with it. During naps we try to take the best out of him in the stroller but for BT we literally run to the hotel and put him to bed. Otherwise he will be fussy than I will be fussy then DH will be fussy and it is not worth it. We try to rent one bedroom apartment, if not possible room with balcony so that we can hang out while he sleeps. I have heard mummies here who put their LOs's crib in the closet, which I will try this summer:)

Offline feniletilamin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 15:04:12 pm »
Thanks ladies,seems useful...
The point is,all of my friends work and I had problems at the last 2 months of pregnancy so I stayed on bed.That's why I want to make smth outside the house....
Ok,I can go and meet with my friends and my DH can take care of her but it doesn't make sense for me...
I have an Icelandic friend who has a DD as well and she is sooo nice,can sleep everywhere so mother can go everywhere even to parties!That's why I thought,may be I do things wrong?But the Icelandic baby was allways nice,she sleeps 09.00 pm to 09.00 am so she should be an extraordinary baby?YES,I'm confused!:)

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 15:23:05 pm »
I don't think you are doing anything wrong at all! My DD rarely sleeps anywhere, in the stroller or even the car these days. I too, know she would never sleep in a busy restaurant or at a party. Some babies do, but mine wouldn't, nor do I really expect her to as I couldn't.

My sister is getting married next month and I have already told her that I will not be attending the evening reception as DD needs to be asleep by 7pm. My whole family think I am crazy but they will not be the ones paying for it in the middle of the night and for days afterwards!

Saying that, maybe try to add in an extra catnap or something so that you can try to put her down a little later if you need to. I am sure you will find some ways to spend great evenings with your friends! :)

*Nicola*

Offline feniletilamin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 15:31:29 pm »
Thanks cuckoochick,extra catnap can be a good solution,I'll try.
By the way your little baby girl is soo beautiful!

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 15:40:44 pm »
Thank you! I know it's tough when you haven't had an evening out anywhere but it will get better. My DH and I have date night in the house as I have not been brave enough to leave DD with a sitter and the thought of keeping her up is way too scary as she so easily falls out of her routine! Maybe your DD can be more flexible than mine though! :)

*Nicola*

Offline feniletilamin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 15:45:35 pm »
I hope sooo!
I just miss to be myself (at least for couple of hours) and feel like locked but as you say I know it will get better,it's already better...
I can't leave her to a sitter either...

Offline pixelbox

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 18:29:22 pm »
Hi
I know exactly how you feel. My DS is 8mo and I have never let him stay past his bedtime either. Sorry I don't have a solution for you. I would just like to follow your thread. Let us know if you found a good solution.

Offline feniletilamin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 09:19:48 am »
What about trying to reduce darkness day by day?She can get use to it?Or not?What do you think?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 13:25:41 pm »
I also have this blackout blind for the stroller. Something like this might help with the darkness if you do decide to try taking your LO out once she has gone to bed.
http://www.snoozeshade.com/
I got mine from Amazon.

Offline feniletilamin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 13:45:53 pm »
Thanks a lot!I did a similar thing today,put my black and big pullover over the stroller.She couldn't sleep but it's because she was OT,men working with drill at upstairs!:(
I'm gonna check this out!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 13:20:21 pm »
The snoozeshade and similar shades for this purpose are great as they are breathable and cool and have SPF 50. She might get a bit stuffy in the jumper if the temperature was quite warm. Plus they strap on so don't get blown off by the wind as happened to me when I used a blanket once. The sun shone in suddenly as the wind whipped the blanket away and he was awake! At this age my DS doesn't let me put it on until he is asleep but it is handy for keeping him asleep longer once he has dropped off.
Good luck.

Offline feniletilamin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 13:41:52 pm »
Thanks Cadie's Mum,I'll keep in mind.Actually my DD doesn't sleep well in stroller or car.But may be that's the reason,it's not dark enough.
By the way,congrats for your new baby and good luck!:)