Author Topic: 3 month old breastfed baby with runny poo....  (Read 5448 times)

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 119
3 month old breastfed baby with runny poo....
« on: May 05, 2011, 20:06:31 pm »
Ok - so I know baby poo is runny but dd has had on/off (more on than off) diaorreah and/or mucousy poo for about 6 weeks now. I think (thought) it was a tummy bug but it just seems to have been going on for so long now. She is generally ok in herself, although has rather a lot of wind and the last few nights has been really unsettled in the night and grunting etc in the day. So my question is really could this be a reaction to my milk or would it have caused a problem from the start? Her poo was definately ok for the first 7 or 8 weeks. TIA

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: 3 month old breastfed baby with runny poo....
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 21:00:45 pm »
No answer, but DD is pretty similar although poo is a bit greeny too and REALLY bad wind.  I'm sure if we had a turbine she could power a small town :-\
*** Amanda ***

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 21:12:34 pm »
TBH I thought all BF babies at 3 months had runny poo! Have a look at this thread... warning lots of pictures of poo!

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=157413.0

How often do you think there is mucous?

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 21:14:57 pm »
The mucous is not that often - I know it's normal to be runny but it's literally like coloured water :-\

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 21:16:53 pm »
Ohh I don't know hun. All I can say is that if you do suspect something - I guess a dairy intolerance  ??? - then take milk out of your diet for a couple of weeks and see how things are then.

Offline mianita

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 03:39:38 am »
hi ladies! My DD is 6mo and we are fighting mucous and green poop with some blood for couple of months now. She started to have it after 2mo and it became worse and worse (some mucous at first, then color change, then some blood here and there and once she had severe diarreah). So our doc told me that food allergy needs some time to show reaction. That is why usually at first babies have normal seedy poo, and if they are countinuosly expanded to allergen (through breast milk) then around 2mo it starts changing. My DD was soooo windy until 5mo when I started elimination diet. Her wind improved really fast, as well as she is less fussy, sleeps better, no stomach cramps. But mucous is still there. :(In case your LO has diarreah, be careful, it can be dangerous because of deshydratation, talk to your doc.
So probably talk to your doctor and start elimination diet and see how it goes. I took away most common alergens first (dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, chocolate, wheat), and now I'm taking all glutein away. Hope this helps little bit.

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 19:51:35 pm »
Thanks for your reply - that is interesting that it can take so long to start having an effect. I think i'll talk to the doc and see what they say. An ED sounds pretty daunting tbh! Thanks again

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 22:03:28 pm »
Hi, An ED is daunting but may be worth a try for a week or so if only to eliminate MPI. Of course it might be something else and so def speak to your doc first. x