Author Topic: Constipation from wheat cookies  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Damienne17

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 27, 2011, 16:04:26 pm »
So we started my son on solids at four months. He was doing amazingly well, and at six months I decided to try him out with cookies to help with teething. Ever since, he refuses to eat any pureed foods, he screams after two bites.. Ok, so maybe he just wants finger foods, he will eat fruit out of mesh bags.
My question is, that within a few days of eating cookies (wheat) he started getting mysterious red marks all over his belly and thighs. Then he got so severely constipated that he would scream bloody murder out of nowhere, then would pass golf ball size hard lumps. I ended up giving him a suppository and he was so bunged up it took 12 hours to work. That was the first time he has ever had one.
I "grounded" him from cookies after that incident, and the red marks went away and his pooping went back to normal. Then easter comes along, and mil gives him a wheat cookie!! Argh! Within five minutes he was screaming bloody murder :( This is now three days later and he's had several constipation poops, not big enough to make him scream in pain but enough that he's been real fussy the last few days, and I'll probably give him another suppository just so it doesn't get to the point where he's passing painful poops again.
He is perfectly fine eating oatmeal. I read another post on here about celiacs, and sounds like normally it's the opposite problem than what he is having.. Has anyone else had problems like this with wheat? Is it an allergy or intolerance? Idk! Haven't had a chance to get to the doctors yet. Thanks to everyone that can maybe shed some light on this, whether it's normal or what..

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Constipation from wheat cookies
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 16:38:19 pm »
That could be celiac but the red marks could also mean wheat allergy (which is not the same as celiac). I'd definitely speak with the doctor. HUGS
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 20:33:44 pm »
TBH I haven't heard of constipation being a sign of an allergy or intolerance - as you say it is normally the opposite. Saying that Olly has never had loose stools with his nappies but did get eczema on his body. I guess it is worth steering clear of wheat until you have seen the GP.

Have just googled it and apparertnly it can be the sign of an intolerance or allergy so def get down the docs  :P

There are lots of things to be eaten instead of wheat so weaning shouldn't be too much of a prob x

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 23:10:42 pm »
Actually, constipation definitely is sometimes a sign of either dairy intolerance/allergy or wheat allergy or celiac. Symptoms can vary so much!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 04:20:01 am »
Yup, we get constipation from dairy here...really sounds like some type of allergy or intolerance if it bothered him within 5 minutes.  I would definitely head to the Dr. on this one.
Heidi

Offline Damienne17

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 17:17:43 pm »
Thanks for your replies :) I'll def have to get him down to the docs. My hubby seems to be in denial, most likely because he doesn't want to admit his mom was wrong to give him cookies when I said no.
I got his movements straightened out again after cutting out wheat the first time, but this time around he's still having a lot of pain and troubles even though he hasn't had wheat since Easter. Maybe just the double exposure has thrown his digestion for a loop, idk. I finally got him started back on purees yesterday so maybe that will help, I hope..