Author Topic: on the go lunch ideas  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Nauvoo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
on the go lunch ideas
« on: May 05, 2011, 22:09:54 pm »
I have a feeling this is a topic from the past.  However, DD and I are out a lot in the morning and I find that we are often getting home just in time for a nap.  On the days I'm aware this might happen I pack a peanut butter sandwich for her to eat wherever we are or in the car on the way home.  However, we seem to stay out more days than not until nap time, mostly due to wanting to stay out in nice weather or activities that start at noon and end when it's nap time.  So does anyone have any other ideas for on the go lunch that doesn't have to be kept cool or heated up?  I feel incredibly un-creative at the moment.   I'm not quite sure if DD is sick of peanut butter sandwiches but I know I am and I'm not even eating them.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 02:35:28 am »
Would you consider a small insulated bag?  There are a ton out there these days.

One of my diaper bags, that is made not to look like a diaper bag, has an insulated section for a bottle.  There were times i placed a "meat" sandwich in there along with an ice pack.  Again, we are talking the size of a bottle and I didn't even need to carry an extra bag.

I still look at the insulated bottle bag section at stores like babies r us even though we are long past those days. 

Other days, I will turn an insulated lunchbox bag and have it hold a meal for three of us.

Just found a cute purse that is insulated.  I can have an insulated lunch for three of us and it can hold my wallet. Still trying to figure out what to do with my phone so that it isn't harmed by condensation

Just a thought.

Offline oe

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
Re: on the go lunch ideas
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 02:56:13 am »
depending on how long you are out, you could leave it in your diaper bag if it is only for a couple of hours. I often bring a lunch for ds1 when we go grocery shopping, he eats and I shop. Usually it is crackers, cheese, fruit, cheerios, goldfish, and a fruit snack. He also gets a free cookie at the bakery for dessert :)
good luck.
Jacob, my little monkey - 03/19/2008
Owen, my gerber baby -  09/03/2010

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 07:36:47 am »
I have packed toasted sandwiches (cheese, tomato, ham) and they are nice cold.

You can do a smorgasboard - I pack a container of cheerios, a pear to slice up, cheese, dates
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 12:21:06 pm »
A thermos? I sometimes send one with DD to school containing homemade chicken nuggets, pasta, etc.

Homemade granola bars and/or Larabars? And a cup of fruit to go with?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 12:26:58 pm »
We've got a tiny insulated bag and I throw a little icepack in there if we are going to be out all morning in the sun. Then add
Little pots of nuts, cherry tomatoes, carrot/cucumber sticks, hummous, yoghurts, a pear (bring a knife to cut up), cubes of cheese, crackers grapes... that kind of thing.

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 12:27:13 pm »
sausages, deli meat, picnic food really.  some fruit, cakes, cookies, individual packed cheese (cubes, string cheese, etc).  Even cooked chicken legs, they are good cold.  hmm i am drooling myself :P

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 12:39:58 pm »
I, for one, could eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich every day for the rest of my life and never get sick of it!    :)   We are always on the go for lunch....I bring PB&J, or Cream Cheese and Jelly...(insulated lunch bag with ice pack at bottom) or simple variety of stuff like pp suggested.  We have small plastic containers that I can fill with grapes, a yummy granola and raisin mix, a pretzel and peanut mix...some days all 3 if we're going to be out all day!  Also I mkae muffins often...I have a really wholesome banana muffin recipe if you'd like it, made with whole wheat flour...simple and hearty and a great lunch if I add a yogurt as well! Lastly, Kashi makes a yummy line of cereal bars...(TLC)...they have apple, cherry, or strawberry...they are individually wrapped and really wholesome too!  I grab one of those and an apple and we're good to go!   

http://kashi.com/products/tlc_cereal_bars_baked_apple_spice?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=kashi%2Bcereal%2Bbars&utm_content=search&utm_campaign=Brand

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 12:46:12 pm »
Picnic stuff, really - crackers, cheese, fruit, bits of deli meat cut up, cold sausages, cereal, cooked veggies gone cold, pickles, dried fruit, and a bottle of water. We are out most every day, especially in the summer and from about 12 months old DS has eaten his lunch on-the-go in his buggy. 

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 15:14:50 pm »
To this day, the smorgasboard is the best lunch in my house or out.

Cut up fruit, cheese, crackers, cut up meat (sometimes bologna as the girls love it), cereal etc. You can pack them separately in containers and give as needed if you're driving or sit them down with it on a piece of paper towel. No cutlery, little mess. Mini muffins work well too :)
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 15:35:21 pm »
Savory flapjacks?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 16:53:18 pm »
Wraps cut into triangles. They could be dipped into hummus, or any other kind of dip.
You can spread things on them, meats, fruits, veggies etc and just roll them up.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09